What's the Cheapest Option and Example of Growing Indoor with CFL?

You could try growing Hempy style with Osmocote Plus. Search Doc Bud he grew this way a few years ago and has a journal on it.

I agree with supergroomer. If you add up the cost of your veg AND bloom CLFs, your cost could get up there. You'll probably want to use 23W (100W equivalent) draw CLFs, and several per plant. You can get budget LED panels for around $100 to do veg and bloom.

If you're set on CFLs, browse through the completed and in-process journals, and there are many!
Grow Journals

I went REALLY cheap with an $8 clip-on reflector lamp (remove reflector), added a socket doubler ($2), and two 14 watt common CFL's per plant. Used vegetable garden nutes maybe twice during veg and tomato nutes once at the beginning of flower, and watered regularly with brown sugar water throughout veg and flower. I have buds, sugar leaves and fan leaves covered with beautiful trics! Now the buds aren't giants, but after harvest and cure, I'll know how good the cheapo grow is!

You might want to upgrade those to at least 23w CFLs. I'm pretty sure 14w CFLs are only 900 lumens, that's only 1800 lumens per plant...

Cannabliss89: I did seriously consider using 23's. I have a pair of supplementary 23Ws in one 12/12 closet, but they tend to raise the heat too high, so I use only one bulb, not both. We're talking a mini-grow in some tiny spaces. 2 plants per closet and tent. On my limited income, the fancy equipment is out of the question. A window fan exhausts the stale air from the bedroom and a simple bucket filter reduces the odor.

Yes, less light means smaller buds, but I'm not looking to sell awesome-looking smoke, just to make my meds. So they can be small. The trics look awesome, though! Anticipating the color change and first harvest! :cheesygrinsmiley:

With cfl's you need to get the bud sites open to as much light as possible. Training is advised. I like the 23's, my temps don't get over 85f

With cfl's you need to get the bud sites open to as much light as possible. Training is advised. I like the 23's, my temps don't get over 85f

Agreed! One of the first major procedures I learned on this site was how to LST to create more equal colas and to open up the center of the plant to light. I only lst'd each plant twice, to make 4 colas, and have been tying down branches to keep the canopy level. Didn't have the room for scrogs.

Question, though, isn't 85 F a bit high? I got those temps with 23's, too, which is why I was reluctant to use both bulbs. I got the impression that 75 F was better for flowering.

I'm in veg. but in flower I'll keep it around 80f with air from a 2 speed fan. You doing a journal?

Yes, on a yellow note pad. LOL! Not a lot of pics anymore, since my time is take up elsewhere. I suppose I'd better take pics of the trics before they go any further. Also, I didn't mention that each grow chamber has its own air-circulation fan, running 24/7. I figured that was something everyone would assume, just as necessary as food, light, and water.

Back
Top Bottom