Wheelo's 3rd run - Attack of the Holy Shoots

thanks guys, i'm not gonna quote everything but i really appreciate everyone's comments.

thanks soniq, you know i always enjoy a good chart. . . but i guess i should have quantified my pH problems. . .

just keep in mind changing out the res is a pain!!

so for the better part of a month my res would rise 1 or more pH points a day. . . the big problem with this is that I am only feeding them once a day. . . so although it would be great for them to see the entire range of pH between (on your chart) about 5.5 to 6.1, it was really only seeing one of those points per day.

when it came time to pH adjust, many times it would start out in the high 6's or low 7's. too high really. Then i would start adjusting it by adding some phosphoric acid (15%). even an ounce would barely drop it a tenth of a point. i ad mor and more and it slowly drops. when i would get it down to 5.8-5.9 it would get touchy. . . leave it for a day an it was back up in the 6's the next day or add more acid, which would drop it fast.

i went too far a few times, and by too far i mean mid to low 4's. each time, i said forget it because it would have taken 2-3 hours to redo iy from scratch, and by the next day it would be up into the mid 5's anyways. but i know feeding it this low did some damage to the fans.

after the long flush, i pH'd it to 5.4 last week tuesday, and today (saturday) my res sits at 5.7, i only topped it off and re-pH adjusted it once and barely had to do any pH'ing at all. i consider this nice slow drift to be stable, but it still moves a bit. jumping a point or more between feedings though, is obviously not very desirable.

i think obx is right when he says a lot of it was the drying out, but i think the pH def is a big factor too. . . i will work on getting some kind of technology to help solve this problem for next run. maybe an auto-doser of some sort.

PA, i think your right about the AN moving more than i'm used to, but also with the hard chem nutes, i should have known better and flushed it more often. like every week. lol. i don't use the bud blood or scorpion juice, but i do use a ton of the sensizym, and that's supposed to break down unused nutes into a plant digestible form. that's one of the reasons i thought i could get away with not flushing. i was wrong. FLUSH PEOPLE. FLUSH REGULARLY IN HYDRO!

AJ, thanks bro, even though i;m fu$%ing up the fan leaves lately in both the hydro and scrog, the buds are still perfect and jetting very tasty looking. . . just a little while longer. then, another mediocre success in the bag. lol.

Hey bro, when it concerns ph, i might wonder about the total capacity of your res. If your ph keeps moving up it might be because your plants are drinking more water than nutes. Try adding a remote res to increase the volume of liquid in your system. And I agree that flushing is a big part, try to flush once a week if you can with pure water.

Hey bro, when it concerns ph, i might wonder about the total capacity of your res. If your ph keeps moving up it might be because your plants are drinking more water than nutes. Try adding a remote res to increase the volume of liquid in your system. And I agree that flushing is a big part, try to flush once a week if you can with pure water.

hey charlie thanks for the advice.

since the pH pretty much stabilized after the flush, i can only assume that the salt buildup must have been the major contributor. its been pretty good ever since. yeah, so next time i run the wheel i'll make sure I flush every week.

actually, funny you should say that, it reminds me to mention that I ordered a top off system a few days ago. so i will add it when i get it, but with less than two weeks to harvest, one of which being a flush, i dont see it doing me much good, other than perhaps working out any kinks before next run. I'm glad to finally have ordered one.

Price: $60
Manufacturer: Blue Line
The Tsunami AT-1 Auto Top Off System automatically adds water to the sump or tank when levels drop. Consists of a small 2 x 3" module and pressure actuated level sensor. User supplies small powerhead or pump and reservoir of water. Sensor is mounted in the sump at the desired leve. When the level falls, the solenoid in the module is triggered and the user supplied powerhead or pump (up to 4 amps) fills the tank to the desired level and shuts off. 1 year warranty.

Sorry to get back to you so late WHEEL.But yeah the advice you got is spot on. A goo dflushis needed. I suggest at this point since your flushing now. Before your next run do a nice breakdown and I would definetly sanitize the hell out of your system .I would suggest a nice breakdown of the wheel. I like use a bleach/water, but just make sure you let the parts dry completely first, then reassemble. as far as the burn goes. You live you learn, right? Take it as some insight into your strain. You got the right advise from all the above post. Esspecially Soniq's chart, this give you a lil peep into whats causing your crisping. And Yeah gotta agree: PLEASE PEOPLE MAKE SURE YOUR FLUSHING ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Sorry to get back to you so late WHEEL.But yeah the advice you got is spot on. A goo dflushis needed. I suggest at this point since your flushing now. Before your next run do a nice breakdown and I would definetly sanitize the hell out of your system .I would suggest a nice breakdown of the wheel. I like use a bleach/water, but just make sure you let the parts dry completely first, then reassemble. as far as the burn goes. You live you learn, right? Take it as some insight into your strain. You got the right advise from all the above post. Esspecially Soniq's chart, this give you a lil peep into whats causing your crisping. And Yeah gotta agree: PLEASE PEOPLE MAKE SURE YOUR FLUSHING ON A REGULAR BASIS.

thanks butch, no prob. its all good. i'm just cruisin to the finish at this point and can't really fix or change anything i've done already so advice is really for next time anyways.

good advice about the breakdown my friend. I have not taken it apart since my first run, although i have done extensive cleaning in between the runs. I was actually planning on doing that anyways because i am thinking of redoing the layout of the room after this, and breaking everything down and reevaluating my situation. . . i doubt i will journal my next run, but i will prob still upload pics to my gallery.

i wish SS was further along in his comparison test to give me some guidance as to which type of led would be better for my fridge/cloner, as i want to add more light and have to keep heat way down because that thing holds heat like a champ.

i have a 2'x4' tent that i dont use at the moment because i have no room. but i want to get that into my room and get the volks in that tent if i can get it to fit.

that would free up the rest of my 4'x8' tent, so that I could start a cycle so i dont have to wait so long between harvests. I'd like to get 2 x 600w HPS's in there. Then i would like to cycle SS and dirt in there, lst, and larger plants. the other option would be to try an aero-shuttle like earl and 420fied, but considering all of the hydro struggles i've had it would probably be prudent to stick with soil until i can get the wheel on point.

the only problem is i don't think i have the electrical power to support 2000w. i am pretty much at my limit right now with 1045w of light. . . but if i ran the wheel and the big tent on opposite 12/12 schedules i might be able to make it work.

so, the short list of thing's i'd like to get before my next run:
LED light $400-500 gheesh.
2 more 600w quantum dimmable ballasts ***for the 4x8 $200 each
2 air cooled hoods $100 each
3 new 600w bulbs $80-100 each
2 HydroGen Ice Box Heat Exchangers ***this product looks amazing. google it. $145 each
pH controller $200 ***F' my pH hydro problems, I'll go automatic on the situation.
ground unit air conditioner $350-450
CO2 controller $450

and that would do it for a while, i should hope. lol. this list comes to about $2500 so i'm not sure if i'll be able to get it all in one shot or not. I'll have to see how big my christmas bonus is this year.
light rail for 2 lights $230

the onloy issue w/ the Ice box is you'll need a seperate rez and get a chiller. So at the end that set up will run up in the g range, easily. I wanted one for a longest time til I researched the whole set up and it was to great of a cost and space for me personally.

i could prob save a bit of money if i got:

1 1000W Quantum dimmable ballast $320
1 Air cooled hood $100
1 600w and 1 1000w bulb $80-100 each
1 6' lightrail $150

instead of the 2 600's. would probably save me a couple hundred.

the onloy issue w/ the Ice box is you'll need a seperate rez and get a chiller. So at the end that set up will run up in the g range, easily. I wanted one for a longest time til I researched the whole set up and it was to great of a cost and space for me personally.

yeah, i have a chiller that i'm not even using yet because my res is cold enough.

i am planning on using a 55 gal Res to hold pure RO, and that will be my source for the AT-1 top off system i just ordered. if I keep the chiller on super cold, and get that 55 gal down pretty low, i think it would work for an entire 12 hour period, even though my chiller is pretty small. it'll get a big headstart in the dark period, and with that much pure water it should hold its chill for a while.

if, in the summer, down the road i needed a bigger chiller, i could get it then. and I'd need another pump, and i forgot to mention i need a couple more inline fans. so maybe even a bit more money there.

but you know I'm not concerned with how much this costs. obviously i have a 2g wheel that i bought on a whim.

either way, it's cheaper than buying it from your local drug dealer. lol, at least when you smoke as much as me.

AJ, thanks bro, even though i;m fu$%ing up the fan leaves lately in both the hydro and scrog, the buds are still perfect and jetting very tasty looking. . . just a little while longer. then, another mediocre success in the bag. lol.

LOL But hey a mediocre success is better than a shitty success for a holiday harvest! :nicethread:

fo sho AJ.

besides, I may have been growing for a pretty long time, but it was always a small hobby with one or two plants and no technology, no meters, no nothing. this will be my biggest harvest to date by far.

the most i ever grew at one time has been about 1/2 lb. . . i know i have more than that this time, so i'm def not doing too much complaining other than a bit of dissapointment that i keep making similar mistakes each time.

fo sho AJ.

besides, I may have been growing for a pretty long time, but it was always a small hobby with one or two plants and no technology, no meters, no nothing. this will be my biggest harvest to date by far.

the most i ever grew at one time has been about 1/2 lb. . . i know i have more than that this time, so i'm def not doing too much complaining other than a bit of dissapointment that i keep making similar mistakes each time.

Either way it sounds like your climbing up tha corporate ladder.... of weed? IDK LOL :rollit:

hey wheel jsut a thought for marine use they have these coolers for sodas and sh!t like that well they can hold ice for 6-7 days at 90degrees outside just thinking if you need it it will work for a big res.

also a bilge pump does the same thing your 60 part does and for 60 buck ithink yo ucan get one that pumps over 1100 gpm i know its not need but just another thought.

light rails in the hydrofarm cat are 5' for 109 and at that price i am sure there are deals to be had.

ac conditions are a great thing to buy now it being tuff times and winter is coming to say the least after watching the news.

an done more thing i had a dream the other night about the wheel and remember those cool thing science teachers have lying on the desk light a atom that expands when you pull on the sides in my dream the wheel did this as the grow progresses so does the wheel . thought it was a coool dream. the growing sounds like it is growing good its hard to hear no journal after this one. well cant wait for the new pics

hey wheel jsut a thought for marine use they have these coolers for sodas and sh!t like that well they can hold ice for 6-7 days at 90degrees outside just thinking if you need it it will work for a big res.

also a bilge pump does the same thing your 60 part does and for 60 buck ithink yo ucan get one that pumps over 1100 gpm i know its not need but just another thought.

light rails in the hydrofarm cat are 5' for 109 and at that price i am sure there are deals to be had.

ac conditions are a great thing to buy now it being tuff times and winter is coming to say the least after watching the news.

an done more thing i had a dream the other night about the wheel and remember those cool thing science teachers have lying on the desk light a atom that expands when you pull on the sides in my dream the wheel did this as the grow progresses so does the wheel . thought it was a coool dream. the growing sounds like it is growing good its hard to hear no journal after this one. well cant wait for the new pics

thanks PA, those are some good ways to save a bit of dough.
I will look into it when I actually get around to buying stuff, you know you always have to just look for the deals of the moment. it's no good looking for sales when you wont buy stuff for another month because all the sales will change by then. lol.

your dream sounds sweet, expanding wheels of weed, like a cheech and chong amusement park. lol. In the DIY build a wheel thread, the first page has a huge wheel that is adjustable. kinda like the atom, but only a cylinder instead of a sphere. it looks pretty sweet.

I'll journal another one at some point, but as i'm sure you know, taking pics, editing them, uploading and talking about them can all consume a lot of time.

My main reason for running a journal, is that when I wanted to get into a wheel, there was only one thread on the net that showed one in use. there was a lot of talk about it working or not working and outrageous numbers of yields, and i just wanted to get some decent info out there. I think I accomplished that, showing many of the pitfalls or downsides to this system that a newb might encounter, as well as some good advice on how to do it better.

I still haven't yielded very much off of a run yet, but i'm always messing with stuff instead of just doing it as recommended.

I'm going to continue to acquire technology to help me automate my grow, an try to get better results. . . I'll still upload pics now and again i'm sure, but once i get a good system going stable, and hopefully, eventually, fully automated I will prob do a journal of how to do it right, as opposed to my journals i have done so far, which i would classify more as a watch out for these common mistakes. lol.

:thanks: for sticking through this with me. :yummy::yummy::yummy:
the best part is coming soon :grinjoint::roorrip::bong::rollit::ganjamon::bongrip::Rasta: the smoking!!!!

WOF: your journnals have been amazing to say the least. Think about it, they've contained cloning, vegging, flowering, STS'n..damn I could go on and can't forfet the endless GREAT advice that's come out of them. I personally would call your journals a success. You taught me things that I more then likely would have never been taught. Like the whole STS thing. I would have just stuck to traditional parenting. But now! Reversal is an option. And w/ the strains that I'm carring, I need the reversal to get the EXACT genetics that I want. So to you I say thank you. Your grows have been a successful journey not just for you but for us all. THANK YOU

Great thread Wheelo,

This year I tried to purchase some Volksgardens but the supplier here was a waste of space so I didnt end up getting any. (If anyone in the UK knows of a reputable supplier please let me know). I am interested in doing a rotary grow just to get it out of my system, so it was a nice surprise to find you running one.

The Scrog looks great, I will be posting up my first ever attempt at a scrog in a few weeks so you might be able to give me some pointers along the way :grinjoint:

When I use STS I do the same as you use it at the start of 12/12 and give it again at week 2 of 12/12. Just a heads up some strains really don't want to shed pollen when reversed, on my Viking I have to manually break open the male sacks to release the pollen.

Heath

yep thebutchers rite. we learn in so many ways. A certain point in time, when one might be growing thru. when you make mistakes and push on thru. for one reason or another the ability of you being able to display the good and the bad gives me and other future cultivators confidence. Depending on ur situations an investment like this is major. When u first get the wheel you dont know what to expect, and theres no info regarding using it for this purpose. Not to mention how accesible u are and generous with ur time. your presence. priceless, some guys charge 300 to 400 bucks to even look at ur set up to help. ur not just growing, your growing highteck so to speak and nobody your gonna c thru out ur day even knows what tha f*** it is. Im no pro but as of now, you would be proud of your latest pupil. and believe me it had to pop. im the type that would of had the volks somewere in storage after two tries, o.k. maybe three. So from the lastest newbie to a Vet thx.

WOF: your journnals have been amazing to say the least. Think about it, they've contained cloning, vegging, flowering, STS'n..damn I could go on and can't forget the endless GREAT advice that's come out of them. I personally would call your journals a success. You taught me things that I more then likely would have never been taught. Like the whole STS thing. I would have just stuck to traditional parenting. But now! Reversal is an option. And w/ the strains that I'm carrying, I need the reversal to get the EXACT genetics that I want. So to you I say thank you. Your grows have been a successful journey not just for you but for us all. THANK YOU

Thanks butch, i consider them a success too because i got to meet a bunch of like minded people, share ideas and knowledge, and I have learned more in the past year than all of the time i put in before it combined.

i think it's a testament to the 40mag community that we get along so well here, even if there is a bit of fortuitous back patting. :Rasta: either way, your a good friend butch.

Great thread Wheelo,

This year I tried to purchase some Volksgardens but the supplier here was a waste of space so I didnt end up getting any. (If anyone in the UK knows of a reputable supplier please let me know). I am interested in doing a rotary grow just to get it out of my system, so it was a nice surprise to find you running one.

The Scrog looks great, I will be posting up my first ever attempt at a scrog in a few weeks so you might be able to give me some pointers along the way :grinjoint:

When I use STS I do the same as you use it at the start of 12/12 and give it again at week 2 of 12/12. Just a heads up some strains really don't want to shed pollen when reversed, on my Viking I have to manually break open the male sacks to release the pollen.

Heath

Heath, :welcome:

I have seen some of your vert grows, and was blown away. you are a curve breaker as far as g/watt goes for sure and redefined my idea of efficiency. If I saw your journal before i bought this system, I might have gone with a coliseum instead. It's a pleasure to be able to talk with you.

Have you tried contacting omega people directly? I talked with them on the phone and they seemed very pleasant to me. I bet they'd be willing to ship wherever, if you want to pay for it of course.

thanks, the scrog was a bit of an experiment as well, using a Super Soil for the first time. I think I am going to do another Super Soil run soon, but this time follow SubCool's method exactly, and grow some bigger sized plants.

If your going to run a journal here, most definitely count me there. :slide:

On my first STS attempt, i gave the second dose only 3-4 days after the first. it produced male anthers like crazy, but really didn't want to open at all. . . i figured that it was because i didnt do the 2nd application a full 2 weeks later. . . I ended up basically just beating the bush, for a lack of better terminology, and gently whacking the females with the male to try to open up some sacs and pollinate the females. It worked well enough to get me the seeds i needed to try it again.

This time I am waiting the full 2 weeks for the second application, which I hope will do a bit of a better job. but if i have to whack it again, at least I know it works. lol.

thanks for stopping in to :yummy: my grow. :Rasta:

ps. UK is like my second home. I have been to almost every Cathedral city in the UK. cheers mate.

Back
Top Bottom