Auto Caramelicious & Lowryder 2 Soil Grow - First Grow - Advice Needed!

Hi guys! First-time grower here and would appreciate advice from anyone on here with the experience :Namaste:

Strains: Auto Caramelicious & Lowryder 2
# of Plants - 8
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative pending sprout
Soil mix: Fox Farm Ocean Forest
Pot size: Currently in solo cups but will transplant to 1gal then 5gal pots
Lights: 18-6 schedule - 2x 600w air-cooled lights. Currently have MH bulbs; planning to switch to HPS for flower
Other setup: carbon filter through duct through air-cooled lights; inline fan to exhaust to attic
Temperature: Between 70-75
RH: 34% to 50% (difficulty with this; see notes below)
PH of water: 7.0 - reverse osmosis
Nutrients: Fox Farm- Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom
Room size: 4x8x6.5 ft grow tent
Pests - None Known

The 8 seedlings are currently awaiting sprout! :popcorn: ... I used the cup of water method and then moved to the wet-paper towel method and all 8 seeds opened and showed a tap root. I placed the seeds 1/8-1/4 inch below soil root down and sprayed the top of the soil.

Additional notes/Questions/Concerns:
-After spraying the soil, it seemed to dry out very quickly. I found myself spraying the soil about every hour for the first 12 hours under 600w MH light. The light is about 6 inches from the top of the cups. I have two 600w lights but am only using one at the moment. I got fed up and decided instead of spraying the top every hour, I soaked the soil until water came out of the bottom of the cups. Was that the right thing to do? That was the first and only soaking of the soil that I've done. Should I have soaked the soil prior to placing the seeds in? Any other advice on this?
-I'm having a hard time keeping RH up past 40%. I have been spraying water every hour and also hung wet towels and placed wet towels on the ground. I also have a bowl of water next to the cups (see pics below). I have a humidifier on the way so keeping RH at preferred levels shouldn't be an issue in the future. Until the humidifier gets here, any advice on what I can do to keep RH up? Is it very bad that the RH drops below 40% (low of 34%) once in awhile? I heard RH should be even higher while they are pending sprout and/or first 2 weeks after sprout. Can you clarify?
-What advice or questions do you have for me at this time?

Pic of one side of 4x8x6.5 ft grow tent.
IMG_181226.JPG

IMG_180224.JPG

Light is about 6 inches from top of cups
IMG_180519.JPG
IMG_180120.JPG

2nd air-cooled light (currently off) and inline fan
IMG_180623.JPG

Small shelf I built- power strip with timer, 2 ballasts, and oscillating fan
IMG_180819.JPG

Exhaust to attic
IMG_181024.JPG

Last note: If I used wrong terminology anywhere, please feel free to correct me so I can learn! :thumb:

re: Auto Caramelicious & Lowryder 2 Soil Grow - First Grow - Help needed!

First off all,great setup:thumb:
Since you got all Autos,you wanted to go in final pots from seed ...
Autos don't really like transplanting :)And since you planted them already,i would transplant just once :)
When your seedlings small you want to keep RH above 60%.
In your case i would stick with Misting them,but would make a small dome for each.
Simple plastic bottle would do :)Other thing is to leave some tray of water(big surface area).
I would go with dome for couple weeks,easy to keep RH level...just dont forget to lift them occasionally;)
You said that your MH light is 6" away.
What the temperature is like @ soil level?? ;)

Good job;)
Will grab a seat on this one :thumb::popcorn:

re: Auto Caramelicious & Lowryder 2 Soil Grow - First Grow - Help needed!

First off all,great setup:thumb:
Since you got all Autos,you wanted to go in final pots from seed ...
Autos don't really like transplanting :)And since you planted them already,i would transplant just once :)
When your seedlings small you want to keep RH above 60%.
In your case i would stick with Misting them,but would make a small dome for each.
Simple plastic bottle would do :)Other thing is to leave some tray of water(big surface area).
I would go with dome for couple weeks,easy to keep RH level...just dont forget to lift them occasionally;)
You said that your MH light is 6" away.
What the temperature is like @ soil level?? ;)

Thanks for your advice!
-In the future, i'll be sure to place auto's into its final pot from the seed.
-My humidifier came in today so i now have it set to 65% :cheesygrinsmiley: So shouldn't have a need to create a dome anymore
-I checked the temperature at soil level and it was 82! Thanks for the tip here; i'll move my light up so soil level temp is between 70-80

Thanks again :)

Week 2 Update (Day 12):

I have some good news and some bad news here for my week 2 update. I'll start with the bad...

Bad News:
-5 of the 8 seeds did not sprout. I've learned that this may be due to a few different reasons... 1. The light was way too close to the cups for the first few days and soil-level temp was over 90! :thedoubletake: Also, while planting the seeds in the soil (after germinating with the paper-towel method), I may have unknowingly touched the tap roots which I heard oils can go from fingers to root and potentially kill the seed. Lastly, I had trouble controlling temps/humidity levels the first few days so at times the humidity dropped below 40% and a few times below 20%! :thedoubletake:

Good News:
-I have 3 beautiful plants that did sprout and are doing very well!
-I have successfully transplanted the 3 plants into larger containers. Two Caramelicious into 5 gallon pots and one Lowryder 2 into a 3 gallon pot.
-I have successfully germinated and planted 3 more seeds. Two Caramelicious and one Lowryder 2 into 5 gallon pots.
-Temp has been between 68-82 consistently
-Humidity has been above 60% consistently (will lower to 40-50% on week 3)

Other Notes:
-Humidifier is working great and I've added a large container of water to help keep humidity above 60%.
-I brought in a larger oscillating fan so no "heat spots" or "humid spots" are in the tent
-I purchased a portable heater which oscillates. Temp is set to 70 so if it drops below that (usually when the lights go off) then the heater kicks on.
-For the 3 plants that are on day 12, I plan to start nutes in a few days when they need water next. Will do a 1/4 or 1/2 dose of Fox Farm Grow Big. What do you suggest?
-As you can see in the first pic, one of the 5 gal containers has plastic wrap over it. I'm comparing the newly planted seeds: one with plastic wrap covering and two w/o the plastic wrap to see which works better.

All 6 pots. 3 just planted today (Two Caramelicious and one Lowryder 2 into a 5 gallon pots)
IMG_185118.JPG

First Caramelicious in 5 gal pot
IMG_185223.JPG
IMG_185319.JPG

Second Caramelicious in 5 gal pot
IMG_185421.JPG
IMG_185523.JPG

Lowryder 2 in a 3 gal pot
IMG_185622.JPG
IMG_185726.JPG

Container of water and humidifier
IMG_184720.JPG

Oscillating fan
IMG_184821.JPG

A small fan (does not oscillate) and portable heater
IMG_184921.JPG

Feel free to leave comments/questions/feedback! :thanks:

As promised, I will be doing weekly vlogs for this grow. Here is week 1! Week 2 will be posted in a few days and I'm filming week 3 tonight! :cheer:
[video=youtube;B2PZ7V1kOsg]
[/video]

Week 3 Update!

Hey everyone! I hope you're smoking on something good while reading this. :lot-o-toke: Quick update from the garden...

Updated Info:
Strains: Auto Caramelicious & Lowryder 2
# of Plants - 6
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Soil mix: Fox Farm Ocean Forest
Pot size: 5gal pots for 4 Caramelicious, one 5gal pot for Lowryder 2, one 3 gal pot for Lowryder 2
Lights: 18-6 schedule - 2x 600w air-cooled lights. Currently have MH bulbs; planning to switch to HPS for flower
Other setup: carbon filter through duct through air-cooled lights; inline fan to exhaust to attic
Temperature: Between 66-79
RH: 49% to 76%
PH of water: 6.5 - reverse osmosis w/ PH Down
Nutrients: Fox Farm- Grow Big, Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom
Room size: 4x8x6.5 ft grow tent
Pests - None Known

All 6 plants are looking pretty good. To make things easier, moving forward I have numbered the plants 1 though 6. The Lowryder 2's are plant #'s 1 & 2 and the Caramelicious are plant #'s 3 through 6. Pics and notes on each plant are below:

Here is my week 3 vlog!
[video=youtube;WyFWhdeDZ9A]
[/video]

Plant #1- Lowryder 2 (in 3 gal pot) - Day 22
7" tall - Feed 1/2 dose Grow Big on day 16 - This plant has some spots on the leaves (see pic below). I believe it is due to giving 7.0 pH water from RO system. I have purchased 'pH Down' from Amazon and lowered pH to 6.5. Please reply with your thoughts on the spots on the leaves and any advice/questions you have that relate to it.
IMG_191623.JPG
IMG_191719.JPG
IMG_191819.JPG

Plant #2- Lowryder 2 (in 5 gal pot) - Day 11
2.5" tall - Feed 1/2 dose Grow Big on day 5 - I wanted to give this one nutes early to compare with one w/o nutes since some may say giving nutes on day 16 is too late. I'll now be able to see which is better to be used in the future. No issues with this one.
IMG_192120.JPG
IMG_192218.JPG

Plant #3- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 22
8" tall - Feed 1/2 dose Grow Big on day 16 - The tallest of them all! I hope this one continues to take off and becomes massive :riskybusiness: This one does have a few spots on 1 leaf as well similar to plant #1.
IMG_191922.JPG
IMG_192020.JPG

Plant #4- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 22
5" tall - Feed 1/2 dose Grow Big on day 16 - After I transplanted this one, growth slowed down. Hopefully this one picks back up soon! A few spots on 1 leaf as well similar to plant #'s 1 & 3.
IMG_192317.JPG
IMG_192422.JPG

Plant #5- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 11
2.5" tall - Feed 1/2 dose Grow Big on day 5 - No issues after giving nutes to this one. Will give water next then back to more nutes!
IMG_192522.JPG

IMG_192619.JPG

Plant #6- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 11
2.5" tall - No nutes yet - I'll give this one nutes next time I need to water. I wanted to hold off on nutes for this one to see what the difference would be between plants #2 & #5 (who got nutes) vs this one who didn't get nutes. Surprisingly, I don't see any difference whatsoever.
IMG_192720.JPG
IMG_192820.JPG

Please leave questions/comments/concerns! :thanks:

Nice setup! I'll be starting my first autos soon (THC Bomb and BB Kush) so i'll be keeping an eye on your grow and see how things turn out.
:goodjob:

Subberino

Merry Christmas! :circle-of-love:

Hey everyone! Quick update from the garden...
IMG_197725.JPG

Here is my week 4 vlog!
[video=youtube;0RiHgWMpoBY]
[/video]

Plant #1- Lowryder 2 (in 3 gal pot) - Day 27
Grew from 7" to 10" WoW.
IMG_197822.JPG
IMG_197925.JPG
IMG_198021.JPG

Plant #2- Lowryder 2 (in 5 gal pot) - Day 16
Grew from 2.5" to 4" WoW.
IMG_198221.JPG
IMG_198422.JPG

Plant #3- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 27
Grew from 8" o 13" WoW.
IMG_198517.JPG
IMG_198821.JPG
IMG_198920.JPG

Plant #4- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 27
Grew from 5" to 10" WoW.
IMG_199021.JPG
IMG_199118.JPG
IMG_199221.JPG

Plant #5- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 16
IMG_199315.JPG
IMG_199418.JPG

Plant #6- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 16
IMG_199522.JPG
IMG_199622.JPG

Please reply with questions/comments/concerns. Thanks! :thanks:

everything looks spot on man. As for any ph problems the soil normally buffers it to a good level I've only been running biobizz soil since I started to grow I don't even own a ph meter never had a problem.

Week 5 Update!

Better late then never! I hope you all had a great NYE celebration. I actually blacked out from too much to drink so I can't remember much lol.

The ladies are looking pretty good. I actually didn't take pics this week but I did record a vlog. Enjoy! :tokin:

[video=youtube;pFCnzNhcfag]
[/video]

you might want to move you thermostat to canopy level true it's 80* at pot level but it could be much higher at canopy level. Only reason I'm saying this is because you have a mild bit of tacoing at the top of the plants. Normally caused by heat.:goodjob: everything looks like its coming along nicely:Namaste::high-five:

you might want to move you thermostat to canopy level true it's 80* at pot level but it could be much higher at canopy level. Only reason I'm saying this is because you have a mild bit of tacoing at the top of the plants. Normally caused by heat.:goodjob: everything looks like its coming along nicely:Namaste::high-five:

Thanks for the feedback! I did notice the mild tacoing but thought that was ok? I will move the thermostat to canopy level to check.

Week 6 Update!

Here is my week 6 vlog!
[video=youtube;A17CgpE57bQ]
[/video]

Help needed!:
-Plant #1 is not flowering yet! Lowryder 2 on day 38 and no pistols are visible. Plant #2 is also a Lowryder 2 (on day 27) and is flowering. Not sure why this happened or what to do from here.
-Plant #6 is clawing. What is the best way to resolve this issue? Flush?

Plant #1- Lowryder 2 (in 3 gal pot) - Day 38
Grew from 14" to 20" WoW. This plant isn't flowering yet! Question on this above.
IMG_213919.JPG
IMG_214015.JPG
IMG_214114.JPG

Plant #2- Lowryder 2 (in 5 gal pot) - Day 27
Grew from 7" to 10" WoW.
IMG_214314.JPG
IMG_214417.JPG

Plant #3- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 38
Grew from 20" to 28.5" WoW.
IMG_214514.JPG
IMG_214620.JPG
IMG_214719.JPG

Plant #4- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 38
Grew from 17" to 30" WoW.
IMG_214918.JPG
IMG_214813.JPG

Plant #5- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 27
Grew from 7" to 12" WoW.
IMG_215018.JPG
IMG_215115.JPG

Plant #6- Caramelicious (in 5 gal pot) - Day 27
Grew from 5.5" to 9.5" WoW. This plant is clawing! Question on this above.
IMG_215317.JPG
IMG_215413.JPG

Please reply with questions/comments/concerns. Thanks! :thanks:

Looks like you have some mild clawing on number 5 as well I'd say at the moment you have two options give a flush and cut back on the nutes a hair or start giving the nutes at same strength just every other watering giving phed water in between. Also if you took closely at the tips of number two you will notice an almost glossy texture of the tips which I found was the first stage of clawing i had the same thing happen to me just cut the nutes down a little check the temps at canopy. Looks spot on tho man really clean setup:goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom