1 gallon air pot watering

Hi mate - Yes, yes, yes and yes, that sounds like a logical plan to me
If you want to avoid run off hassle, just put a bit of capillary matting under the pot or a tray of perlite/clay pebbles, the plant will draw it up again if it needs it and your roots/medium never dries out completely
Thanks mate :)

Shouldnt I avoid the pot sitting in run off water? The bottom of the air pot is anyway couple inch above the ground/tray.
But filling up the tray with pebbles actually sounds nice idea. What/when some of the roots comes thru the bottom holes which wont get air pruned and sneaks into the pebbles? That doesnt sound good anymore if they tryna spread around the tray and swim in run off water :oops:

Thanks mate :)

Shouldnt I avoid the pot sitting in run off water? The bottom of the air pot is anyway couple inch above the ground/tray.
But filling up the tray with pebbles actually sounds nice idea. What/when some of the roots comes thru the bottom holes which wont get air pruned and sneaks into the pebbles? That doesnt sound good anymore if they tryna spread around the tray and swim in run off water :oops:
I know people make a big deal of roots sitting in water, but what about NFT?
It works because as long as the roots have access to Oxygen too, it's fine - optimal in fact
I have stood plants in a 1m2 tray of pebbles/perlite and watered til run off every time, all that happens is the roots form a thick mat in the perlite, just like NFT/Ebb & Flow
The benefit of one large tray as opposed to a small tray per pot is that the roots can stretch over the entire m2 area, and they will :cool:

Shouldnt I avoid the pot sitting in run off water? T

yes

he's not running nft. he's in a soil type,and small buckets. add constant wet and it's a recipe for root rot, bad ph, and other issues.

It works because as long as the roots have access to Oxygen too, it's fine - optimal in fact
I have stood plants in a 1m2 tray of pebbles/perlite and watered til run off every time, all that happens is the roots form a thick mat in the perlite, just like NFT/Ebb & Flow
The benefit of one large tray as opposed to a small tray per pot is that the roots can stretch over the entire m2 area, and they will :cool:
But are the run offs on trays getting fast enough oxygen since the water just sits there? No source which would create extra oxygen or which would keep the water moving constantly?
I see u there watchu mean, allowing roots to spread out. But spread out into the runoff water which has no active oxygen source/isnt moving(?) The standing water gets oxygen from the air obv slowly but is that fast enough? Am I asking for myself a root rot or more space for the roots by doing so?

But are the run offs on trays getting fast enough oxygen since the water just sits there? No source which would create extra oxygen or which would keep the water moving constantly?
I see u there watchu mean, allowing roots to spread out. But spread out into the runoff water which has no active oxygen source/isnt moving(?) The standing water gets oxygen from the air obv slowly but is that fast enough? Am I asking for myself a root rot or more space for the roots by doing so?
As @bluter says, if you're not comfortable with it, don't do it on my advice; I'm just saying it has worked well for me
The run off in the tray is no more than 1-2mm deep over that area, effectively a NFT film so the roots are exposed to air too, not taking Oxygen from the water per se
The surface area of a tray of perlite is huge and holds plenty of air
But I must reiterate, don't do it if you're not sure how it works, but maybe try it on a houseplant and see what happens
I think you'll be surprised

Back
Top Bottom