12/12 from seed is it actually worth it

indoornoob199

I've been growing 3 plant about 2ft tall and it seems like a waste of space.. my questing is would it be in my best interest to grow 20-30 plants 12/12 From seed to cut down on height and time schedule

I've been growing 3 plant about 2ft tall and it seems like a waste of space.. my questing is would it be in my best interest to grow 20-30 plants 12/12 From seed to cut down on height and time schedule

That's an interesting question. It seems like a subset of the question, "What's the ideal veg to flower ratio?" with 12/12 from seed or a typical autoflower grow having a ratio of about 3 weeks veg:9 weeks flower giving a ratio of .25, and plant growing outdoors for seven months probably being much higher? (Just noodling with numbers on the back of an envelope there...)

More veg time gives more time to develop the infrastructure--roots and stalks--that supports the flowering stage, but at some point that's going to give diminishing returns. And it sounds like maximum efficiency is less important to you than plants of manageable size, which within the limits of the size of a grow tent applies to all indoor growers, I guess...

I'm currently trying 6 plants seed to 12/12

On week one , just babies.

I wanted to test a couple Strains as well as test a few strains I created

Will be interesting, not really looking for yield but testing

From what I've heard it certainly will reduce cycle time, and probably height. I haven't tried it, but it's been recommended to me by experienced growers precisely for that reason.

Good thread to start ... It'd be great for growers new to indoor to be able to follow specific 12/12 grows. It's a schedule that is often recommended.
I'm currently trying 6 plants seed to 12/12

On week one , just babies.

I wanted to test a couple Strains as well as test a few strains I created

Will be interesting, not really looking for yield but testing

Are you journaling your current one Scorpio? If not, maybe indoornoob wouldn't mind morphing this thread into a kind of community 12/12 growing thread. We could find out over time if there are some strains more suited to it than others...

PicsArt_1420608144749.jpg

This was seed grown on 12/12 start to finish, produced about 20 grams. Probably 11 to 12 weeks from sprout to harvest.

That's an interesting question. It seems like a subset of the question, "What's the ideal veg to flower ratio?" with 12/12 from seed or a typical autoflower grow having a ratio of about 3 weeks veg:9 weeks flower giving a ratio of .25, and plant growing outdoors for seven months probably being much higher? (Just noodling with numbers on the back of an envelope there...)

More veg time gives more time to develop the infrastructure--roots and stalks--that supports the flowering stage, but at some point that's going to give diminishing returns. And it sounds like maximum efficiency is less important to you than plants of manageable size, which within the limits of the size of a grow tent applies to all indoor growers, I guess...
See my issue is space I have about a 4ft canopy and about its 7x5 it's an awkward room so when I grow only 3 it take up whole room and I usually pull 2 ozs a plant. If anything the 12/12 would be more of a test run as I like to tinker with growing not really gonna be in it for high yeild but ya never know.

From what I've heard it certainly will reduce cycle time, and probably height. I haven't tried it, but it's been recommended to me by experienced growers precisely for that reason.

Good thread to start ... It'd be great for growers new to indoor to be able to follow specific 12/12 grows. It's a schedule that is often recommended.

Are you journaling your current one Scorpio? If not, maybe indoornoob wouldn't mind morphing this thread into a kind of community 12/12 growing thread. We could find out over time if there are some strains more suited to it than others...

Mine are in my current journal

6 little solo girls, they will go into 1.5gal Hempy when they outgrow the solo

I'll be here watching and pop in a pic or two as they progress

Fun fun fun

What you are describing sounds a lot like the original Screen of Green methods. (SOG)

Lots of plants. Close together in small pots.

One consideration is the footprint size of your light(s). You will want the sweet spot to match the grow size.

I've never done this but I think a very short veg time at longer light times is needed. One to keep them small, and also to trigger the shorter daylight hours must flower now enzymes.

What you are describing sounds a lot like the original Screen of Green methods. (SOG)

Lots of plants. Close together in small pots.

One consideration is the footprint size of your light(s). You will want the sweet spot to match the grow size.

I've never done this but I think a very short veg time at longer light times is needed. One to keep them small, and also to trigger the shorter daylight hours must flower now enzymes.
My light is a 1000w led In a fully mylar room wich is quite small I'm just trying to get the most out of my space I have

That's what everyone wants for sure :thumb:

Ill link a thread if I can find it. In summary the OP ran a bunch of tests which identified the area under a light that had the proper intensity of light for plants to thrive. Outside that, the light is weak - it helps some but its not great.

Its based on the power but also the size and shape of your light, and the height above the canopy. /-\

If you have a light meter, you could take measurements all around your light about 18 to 24 inches down.

You would want a high % of your plants inside that sweet spot.

I don't know if 1 sqft per plant is too tight or too loose for a SOG.

That's what everyone wants for sure :thumb:

Ill link a thread if I can find it. In summary the OP ran a bunch of tests which identified the area under a light that had the proper intensity of light for plants to thrive. Outside that, the light is weak - it helps some but its not great.

Its based on the power but also the size and shape of your light, and the height above the canopy. /-\

If you have a light meter, you could take measurements all around your light about 18 to 24 inches down.
My space is in a loft it's triangular the base is about 6ft wide and length is about 6 ft measured this morning the hight roughly 4 ft at peak

Here is the thread I spoke of.

Advice on LED

See post 19 and the link at the bottom of that page.

Good luck with the new plan. If you would journal it that would be great. I think an A-frame shaped grow space is more efficient.

Back
Top Bottom