12/12 to 18/6 light change for auto

Crackpothead

420 Member
I’m in wk7 (!) of a DWC RQS RoyalJackAuto grow and it’s still in veg mode. Normal veg time for RJA is 3-4 weeks. I know autoflowers flower automatically (ergo ita nomen), but mine is not: it's still growing and because of a lack of height, I need to induce blooming, so I’ve switched to a 12/12 light schedule. (I've read where it is possible to induce autoflowers to flower by equalizing the light schedule.

Once/if it starts flowering, can I switch back to 18/6 so the buds get enough energy to plump up or is that going to send junior reeling into mutationland?

I’m in wk7 (!) of a DWC RQS RoyalJackAuto grow and it’s still in veg mode. Normal veg time for RJA is 3-4 weeks. I know autoflowers flower automatically (ergo ita nomen), but mine is not: it's still growing and because of a lack of height, I need to induce blooming, so I’ve switched to a 12/12 light schedule. (I've read where it is possible to induce autoflowers to flower by equalizing the light schedule.

Once/if it starts flowering, can I switch back to 18/6 so the buds get enough energy to plump up or is that going to send junior reeling into mutationland?
If the plant react strongly to the light changes it has a lot of photo genes. Its better to let it flower under 12/12 since 18/6 might cause "reveg" traits or a plant that form spindly buds that never finishes.

This is a common problem with Auto flowers and mixing two parents is always a lottery.

Hope that helps! Cheers!

besides genetics there may be other reasons it's taking a while. it all depends on your environment and conditions, you didn't give us enough information. a crappy set up will definitely keep them from maturing.

besides genetics there may be other reasons it's taking a while. it all depends on your environment and conditions, you didn't give us enough information. a crappy set up will definitely keep them from maturing.
My set up is a variation on a space bucket. I have a 30l mason bucket for a reservoir and a 120l rain water barrel sitting on top. There’s a hole in the bottom of the barrel for the plant. The barrel is lined with Mylar and side strip grow lights and the lid has two 50w led COBs mounted on computer fans secured to the inside of the lid. One light/fan combo is attached to my carbon filter which is situated on top of the lid. I have one side port for air intake and a circulation fan and access to the lower region.

I have grown with this method 3 time before: two Dwc and one cococoir. The first two Dwc were with seeds that were expected to reach 80-140cm and both exceeded those hieghts with tragic results. The coco grow was a royal Jack auto like I’m using now and grew into a fine short plant (40cm) that put out 35g dried.

The main concern for me with this set up is the lights are fixed at 80 cm from the base of the barrel but I don’t think that is the problem. I think the Dwc is just too robust for the small space.

I get tremendous growth using Dwc and would like to dial it in to my small space. In future I will only use feminised seeds for more control. My current grow is at the perfect height (30cm from the lights) and it looks like it stretched already, I just want it to bloom and stop growing.

If the plant react strongly to the light changes it has a lot of photo genes. Its better to let it flower under 12/12 since 18/6 might cause "reveg" traits or a plant that form spindly buds that never finishes.

This is a common problem with Auto flowers and mixing two parents is always a lottery.

Hope that helps! Cheers!
Thanks. I’m two days into 12/12 and will monitor how it reacts.

if you're running a space bucket set up you might like fem photos more as you can manipulate them much easier. dwc is also going to encourage a lot of growth.

put up some pics of the set up or get a journal up and running.

Back
Top Bottom