12 day old autos, pale green leaves

Tomcheeze

Two autos sprouted 12 days ago. Week one growth was strong, but have since seem stunted and leaves are turning pale. More info below on setup. From days of research I can't figure out what the issue could be. Potential nutrient lock? Overwatering? Light too intense? Are they really stunted? From other grow pics I've seen of 12 day autos they're easily 2x 3x in size.

Have grown successfully in the three years with Fox Farm Ocean Forest. First time trying a new soil. Understand ph needs to be kept around 6, but unsure why nutrient lock out is occurring with the feed I'm giving.

• Medium: Nectar of the Gods #4
  • Feed: Tap water left out over night, ph down to 6
  • LED: 125w Samsung QB, about 3-5 inch from canopy
  • Light Schedule: 20/4
  • 3gal pots
  • Temp: 75-78
  • Humidity: 45-55% when humidifier is on, but does run out of water when I'm back from work and can go low to 25%
  • Photos:

Hello just sharing what was shared with me. This could help
42B35D84-1C0A-4E1B-AFCE-52721FC575C1.png

I think your light is too low. 24" - 30" seedling, 18" - 24" veg & 12" - 18" Flower.
How often do you feed ? Do you let your pots get light before your next feeding ? Do you use a Feed, Water, Water schedule ? Your Temps & RH are OK. Not the greatest but will still work out for you. pH should be 6.2 - 6.8. You want that to vary a little because the plants uptake different nutrients at different pH levels. The nutrients in the soil will only last a few weeks & you'll need to start adding some. I'd suggest ordering the Free 500 gram sample pack of Mega Crop from Greenleaf Nutrients. There's a Mega Crop thread if you want to see what that stuff will do. Or look at my journal. I have pics of my plants at 21 days old. (Photo's / Soil / Mars Hydro )
You have to pay $5 - $6 shipping. It's all you will need for your entire grow. 500 grams will easily do 2 plants from start to finish.

Thank you! I was told to keep Nectar of the Gods #4 soil at a 6.4, which I have been trying my best to but slurry test still comes out 6.6-6.8. This soil line is too complicated IMO.
I hope it works for you. It was shared with me and I have seen a huge improvement for me and my coco Coir.

I think your light is too low. 24" - 30" seedling, 18" - 24" veg & 12" - 18" Flower.
How often do you feed ? Do you let your pots get light before your next feeding ? Do you use a Feed, Water, Water schedule ? Your Temps & RH are OK. Not the greatest but will still work out for you. pH should be 6.2 - 6.8. You want that to vary a little because the plants uptake different nutrients at different pH levels. The nutrients in the soil will only last a few weeks & you'll need to start adding some. I'd suggest ordering the Free 500 gram sample pack of Mega Crop from Greenleaf Nutrients. There's a Mega Crop thread if you want to see what that stuff will do. Or look at my journal. I have pics of my plants at 21 days old. (Photo's / Soil / Mars Hydro )
You have to pay $5 - $6 shipping. It's all you will need for your entire grow. 500 grams will easily do 2 plants from start to finish.

Thank you for the response. I was told my light was too high when I posted on another site that it was about 17in. Will raise now. I've been feeding closer to once daily. Mostly water, but have introduced a small amount of Nectar of the Gods One Shot. It's feed, water, water.

I really think the soil was too hot for seedlings. They're completely stunted now. Haven't grown in 4 days. I will definitely check out Mega Crop, but I'm going to ditch these autos and start over with Fox Farm.

Two autos sprouted 12 days ago. Week one growth was strong, but have since seem stunted and leaves are turning pale. More info below on setup. From days of research I can't figure out what the issue could be. Potential nutrient lock? Overwatering? Light too intense? Are they really stunted? From other grow pics I've seen of 12 day autos they're easily 2x 3x in size.

Have grown successfully in the three years with Fox Farm Ocean Forest. First time trying a new soil. Understand ph needs to be kept around 6, but unsure why nutrient lock out is occurring with the feed I'm giving.

• Medium: Nectar of the Gods #4
  • Feed: Tap water left out over night, ph down to 6
  • LED: 125w Samsung QB, about 3-5 inch from canopy
  • Light Schedule: 20/4
  • 3gal pots
  • Temp: 75-78
  • Humidity: 45-55% when humidifier is on, but does run out of water when I'm back from work and can go low to 25%
  • Photos:
First, your humidity is way too low for seedlings. You need to stay at least a constant 70-80% at 75F.
You barely need to water at this point, and I’d recommend foliage spray at night. Your pH needs to be around 6.5.
I read the soil info. It said it has buffers and nutrients built it. I’m not sure you even need to feed at this point.
Maybe just molasses and water for now.

First, your humidity is way too low for seedlings. You need to stay at least a constant 70-80% at 75F.
You barely need to water at this point, and I’d recommend foliage spray at night. Your pH needs to be around 6.5.
I read the soil info. It said it has buffers and nutrients built it. I’m not sure you even need to feed at this point.

Thank you for the reply. Humidity has definitely been an issue for how dry it is in my climate. Looking into getting a humidifier for the tent.

That's the issue, kept watering to a minimum at first, but it's the pH that's throwing me off. I'm getting water to a perfect 6.4-6.5 and still seems to be locked up and not getting nutrients from soil. Maybe it's the meter that's off. Anyone have recco's on a better pH meter?

Thank you for the reply. Humidity has definitely been an issue for how dry it is in my climate. Looking into getting a humidifier for the tent.

That's the issue, kept watering to a minimum at first, but it's the pH that's throwing me off. I'm getting water to a perfect 6.4-6.5 and still seems to be locked up and not getting nutrients from soil. Maybe it's the meter that's off. Anyone have recco's on a better pH meter?
Find one with good reviews. I think any under $50 will be from China regardless. Lol.

Thank you! I was told to keep Nectar of the Gods #4 soil at a 6.4, which I have been trying my best to but slurry test still comes out 6.6-6.8. This soil line is too complicated IMO.
Soil is fine...you don't even need to pH since it has humus and lime built in which will buffer the pH to the correct range.
I think your light is too low.
I would definitely agree....

@Tomcheeze use this lux chart to determine amount of lux seedlings and plants need.

So regardless of what you're told for height you go with what works for plants.
These autos are maybe at day 18 and only about 2inch tall and fan leaves haven't grown much. Think I really should keep going?
IMO the RH is fine. Below 30 for long periods and you will have issues. I'm guessing you have way too much water for that plant in that size pot. Overwatering is the most common problem for stunting a plant's growth.

I know the rule of thumb says 77 - 79 F & about 65 - 70% RH during Veg. But check this out. I have plants that are 22 Days old today. The RH has never been over 55% & my temps run 79 - 82 F. I'm growing in FFOF in a 2.5' x 2.5' x 6' tent. 1 Mars Hydro TSW 2000 Light, Mega Crop, 6 gallon humidifier (dry in AZ.) & my plants are doing great. So I can't say the rule of thumb is 100% accurate in all cases.
I think MrSauga may be right. Thinking back it seems like I had that problem before. Being a newbie at the time I wanted to Feed & Water a lot so they'd grow bigger & faster. Don't work that way ... lol. Live & learn !!!
Here's a couple pics of my plants at 22 days old.
6-52.JPG
6-51.JPG
6-56.JPG
6-55.JPG
6-52.JPG
6-51.JPG
6-56.JPG
6-55.JPG

Soil is fine...you don't even need to pH since it has humus and lime built in which will buffer the pH to the correct range.

I would definitely agree....

@Tomcheeze use this lux chart to determine amount of lux seedlings and plants need.

So regardless of what you're told for height you go with what works for plants.

IMO the RH is fine. Below 30 for long periods and you will have issues. I'm guessing you have way too much water for that plant in that size pot. Overwatering is the most common problem for stunting a plant's growth.

Appreciate the thoughtful responses! Light is higher now. Will keep pushing and not over water. This was after a flush with microbial root tea.

Looks great man. Appreciate the motivation to keep pushing.
Don’t let some of the Autos full ya they will at times really start slow as there building the root zone then take off. Here’s some
07BA3157-DBC1-4D3D-A144-2F65973C4A7D.jpeg
97D3C5AB-FAB5-4897-A5B8-09B6DA126470.jpeg
E754CEAD-DA40-4B85-8D3A-B9C64D02F8CB.jpeg
pics of a auto 2 weeks in then now just about harvest with minimal Low Stress Training. Don’t get discouraged on them keep after them and keep on pushing!!

Appreciate the thoughtful responses! Light is higher now. Will keep pushing and not over water. This was after a flush with microbial root tea.
I wouldn't go to high with the light as I can see the plant was stretching earlier on... probably why the others metioned to lower it.
The plants take very little water at that stage so I'm not sure why you would have flushed it. It may explain why it looks hungry as well(yellow in color) so some food at a light dose will help. The problem is she's too wet to be fed really.

Back
Top Bottom