126W Penetrator LED Full Bloom

HydroGrowLED

Hi Everyone.

My name is Cammie, and I'm the co-owner of Hydro Grow LED. We are now one of the newest advertisers on this forum, and are very happy to be here. Our company specializes in the creation and testing of LED grow lights, made precisely for the plants you all know and love. It has taken us over 2 solid years to develop a LED light that can not only "hang" with HID using less wattage, but beat it! Because our own testing has exceeded our expectations, we decided it would be best to obtain a 3rd party researcher to use our product, and provide the public with unbiased test results. The researcher that we were able to get for this study, is Ed Rosenthal. He will begin his grow test very soon, using 954W of our LED against a 1000W HPS. As his results are made available, I will make sure to share them with this community.

I know some of you are asking "1000W LED vs 1000W HID!?!?!?" as most manufacturers rate a 90W UFO as being equal to a 400W HPS. The problem with their rating is that too often their lights come nowhere close to what the they claim. I took this into close consideration when rating our lights, and did so modestly, as our lights easily beat the units we compare them to. Instead of just taking our word for it, we figured it would be best to do a watt per watt test, to demonstrate the true efficiency of our lights, vs HPS. Ed's test will allow you to see via a yield comparison, exactly how much more you can expect to harvest per watt with LED.

I have been asked by many people recently, to post a grow test online to show what a single 126W light can do, all on it's own. As of today, I was able to setup that test using 4 plants that are close in size, in an aeroponics system, placed inside a 30" x 18" grow space. I will be taking photo updates regularly to show you all the progress of a full bloom using the only LED light on the market that is able to fully penetrate your canopy. Below you can find a picture showing the test setup taken today, September 26, 2009. This test will demonstrate to everyone, just how much weed you can grow using only 126W watts of light, throughout the next 8 weeks.

I hope you all enjoy the progress, and stick around to see the results! ;)

DSC02109E.jpg

Ahhh yes... more fuel for the fire baby.
We've all been watching the various LED threads with quite a bit of interest. It's a very fun tech to watch.
I actually use LED panels (about 150W of consumed power) as a source of light in my veg shed. I've found them to be very effective in the veg arena, but a bit light on the flowering power.
I'll be watching closely for the end bud result.

Cheers... and welcome! You'll find good folk and good info here!

Oh... and I just can't tell you how happy I am to hear a LED company speak realisticly about the wattages comparisons. I'm often shocked by the marketing spew regarding HID and LED "equivalency" from other LED marketers.

Cheers!

I'd rather show people what the lights can do, vs simply telling them and hoping they take my word for it lol.

Anyhow, LED's have been given a bad name over the last several years, which has mounted even more skepticism towards them. When I began looking into LED's several years ago, as no one ever did a grow to prove the efficacy of their lights. Instead, all the grows I saw, had very unhappy customers, with very poor results.

We built our company off of honesty, and information sharing. Our goal is to inform the public, and educate you about LED lighting, what makes it work. If you spend 5 minutes on my website, you'll probably learn more than you would scouring google for 2-3 days on end. We are a full-disclosure, no BS place of business, who believes that honesty should be your biggest policy.

I know there will be a lot of skeptics out there who want nothing more than to come on here and simply bash this new technology. This thread is to provide information, in a positive way, and to answer any questions that people have regarding my lights. I hope you all enjoy the progress, and stick around to see the results! ;)

hmm, might be a problem on other sites, but luckily you happen to be advertising and posting on one of the friendliest forums on the web. :peace::welcome::peace:
there have already been a few very nice journals posted here recently using led's and most of the regulars at least recognize that they are getting much more powerful as time goes by and is slowly coming into its own as far as what they can do. I think the major breaking point for this technology is still price. in order to get the top of the market led's, the ones that perform the best, you have to pay more than double the initial cost to go LED over HID. i know in the long run it pays for itself in electricity, but you still gotta have the dough up front, which can be a major hurtle. look at your test for example, the almost 1k you are setting ed up with in LED's has a retail value of 3 grand, thats more than most peoples entire setup including multiple 1k hps lamps.

but people like me who are all about efficiency should still keep people like you in business. lol, can you post your specs (as there are a lot of techies that would like to know). what kind of led's are you using? what wattage? what spectrum? how many lumens/lux? etc. etc. you have it on your site, but its nice to have it all in your journal too.

also do you know what kind of plants you have there? what kind of nutes? what kind of ventilation? are you supplementing co2 or anything? all of these factors are important in growth rate and size in addition to the light. they will be important to know to compare.

wow good old Eddie huh? very nice, much respect. the first book I ever read on MJ cultivation was written by mel frank and ed rosenthal back in the 70's. this was before there was any more info on the net, infact there barely was such a thing as the net. i had to download it from gopher. lol.

i may be in the market for a panel or two in the near future, so you got me tuned in, hope all goes well cammie.

gl and :welcome:

WOF

Here are some key design points that make our lights different:

1) Spectral Output: 440nm, 470nm, 640nm, 660nm, 740nm, and 3000k White. Marijuana has peak Chlorophyll absorption at 439nm, 469nm, 642nm, and 667nm, with peak Carotenoid absorption at 439nm and 483nm. Our light efficiently targets all of these peaks, as close to the nm as we were able to find. Lights that miss out on ANY of these points, or those that don't match nm to nm (using a 450 or 460nm blue instead of 440 and 470), will result in a significantly reduced yield.

2) Intensity: We use a 60 degree lens, standard on all of our LED's. For those people who want even more intensity, 30 degree lenses are available. Most companies use a 120 Degree LED, and some are beginning to mix in 90's as well. If you think of LED angles, like a flashlight beam at 10' away on a wall, which one has higher brightness: the wide angle, or narrow beam? The reason most other LED's fall short during bloom, is their lack of light intensity, which allows for the penetration of leaves. Without penetration, flowering is a very weak process.

3) Coverage Area: Our 126W light supplies a 2' x 3' coverage area (21W per square foot). Our competitor's 120W LED supplies light to a 5' x 5' area (4.8W per square foot). Going back to the point above, if you try and spread your light over more area (wide beam) the light over that respective area is far less intense/bright vs the light below our 126W unit. We took maximum yield into consideration for the design of our lights, realizing that it takes way more than 5W per square foot, of low intensity light, in order to compete against a HID. Anyone who is after maximum yield, would never use 120W over 25 square feet, making their designs more or less unrealistic. Not to mention that about 30-40% of the light they create, ends up on your walls! They focus on giving you the biggest area they can with their light. We focus on directing that light to your plant, to achieve maximum yields.

can you post your specs (as there are a lot of techies that would like to know). what kind of led's are you using? what wattage? what spectrum? how many lumens/lux? etc. etc.

also do you know what kind of plants you have there? what kind of nutes? what kind of ventilation? are you supplementing co2 or anything? all of these factors are important in growth rate and size in addition to the light. they will be important to know to compare.

We use 1W, High Power LED's from Bridgelux and Semi currently. We will be making another model (PRO) using higher lumen output LED's such as Luxeon and Cree in the future. Our current models work extremely well, and are priced very competitively for the market. Our Pro models will obviously carry a higher price tag, but there will always be those growers who want the biggest and best. Our 63W model emits about 2500lm, the 126W emits about 5000lm, and the 318W emits about 12,000lm.

As far as the plants, one is ABC (Afghani x Brazilian Skunk), another is Purple Ice (Ice x Purple Urkel), and the other two are Ice (White Widow x Cinderella 99). I've never grown the purple Ice before, so I'm unsure what to expect. Ice is not my best yielding plant, but she is a good quality one. I'd say of my plants, she's actually one of the lower yielding varieties, but they were the only ones ready to start bloom. For best results, I should really use Strawberry Cough, but at least there is some variety to look at lol. The nutes we are using are Humboldt Nutrients Master A & B, Ginormous, and maybe one or two others. We are not using CO2 in this bloom room, and the plants get a little movement from air being blown through ducting.

The forum offered me a deal I couldn't refuse, and quite honestly I may see if I can up my package soon, depending on how things go.

Anyhow, here is the full list of nutrients I will be using for this test as per the MFR's feeding chart (they are all Humboldt Nutrients):

Master A & B
Ginormous
Honey ES
Microzyme
Sea Cal
Sea Mag
Hum-bolt

nice to see u again HydroGrowLED to bad about gc anyways thats old news :rollit:keep us updated on ur friends grow and the 1 chopped over a week early whats the yield on that 1:thanks:

nice to see u again HydroGrowLED to bad about gc anyways thats old news :rollit:keep us updated on ur friends grow and the 1 chopped over a week early whats the yield on that 1:thanks:

I'll be starting a new thread soon that deals with those grows. I just haven't taken the time to upload everything as of right now yet. Anyhow, I should find out the yield within the next couple of days, and will post the scale results when I do :cheer:

Wow, great to have someone giving out all the facts as we need them. You are totaly right that LED'z have got a bad name and I can atest to that. I purchased a 90 watt tri spectrum ufo from ebay for a friend and I wanted badly to just to see how it worked. When I hooked it up to a power consumption monitor it only reads between 61 and 63 watts?? So what happend to the 90watts? It is also a 120 degree so bummer on that I wish I had found out all the info you just gave.

Hey C, I just wanted to let you know I registered with this forum, for the sole purpose of learning what you and others have to offer. Also, I wanted to let everyone know that I bought two (63) watt penatrators from Hydro-grow-LED and will be conducting a test grow. I was waiting for my seeds to sprout and had some time. So, I decided to take some cuttings from my tomato and basil plants to see how well the light performs with clones. I only used one of the lights for the clones and within two weeks the basil roots were 5 inches below the net cup and the tomato were 3.5 inches below as well. I think this kind of root growth is unheard of and amazing with LED's. As soon as I learn how to post pictures, I will. I can't wait for the real test. I'm positive the results will be tremendous.

Wow, great to have someone giving out all the facts as we need them. You are totaly right that LED'z have got a bad name and I can atest to that. I purchased a 90 watt tri spectrum ufo from ebay for a friend and I wanted badly to just to see how it worked. When I hooked it up to a power consumption monitor it only reads between 61 and 63 watts?? So what happend to the 90watts? It is also a 120 degree so bummer on that I wish I had found out all the info you just gave.

Depending on which manufacturer made the UFO (as there are literally over a hundred in China), they may only be running the LED's at 350mA. If they run them at a low current, the LED's have less lumen output, and my guess would also be less power consumption (although I know very little about electricity). Our LED's operate at 700mA, so that we are able to achieve the maximum brightness without overpowering the chip.

Hey C, I just wanted to let you know I registered with this forum, for the sole purpose of learning what you and others have to offer.

I know from personal experience that the moderators here are much more on top of things lol. Anyhow, there have been a few people now that have signed up here for the sole purpose of following my threads, so I'm happy to be bringing new members to 420Magazine.com!

As far as pictures go on this forum, it's not too difficult, but it does take about 3 minutes of your time to learn :;): I can't wait till your seeds sprout so the test can begin! It will be exciting to see more people having excellent results using our lights.

Back
Top Bottom