126W Penetrator LED Full Bloom

Cammie I'm in for your grow. Already a led believer, on my second small closet grow.

Ed Rosenthals test should be an eyeopener.

I suspect you are gonna have 100+ pages in this journal before it finishes. Good luck.
+rep

Sunlight is a constant light source, it doesn't change from blue to red from spring to autumn, and neither does our light.

In fact the sun's spectrum does change with the seasons. This is because our atmosphere reflects and absorbs different wavelengths differently. shorter wavelengths are scattered more easily than longer wavelengths, which is why the sun is redder when its lower in the horizon (sunset or late fall). when the light has to travel through more atmosphere the longer wavelengths penetrate the atmosphere better. this is also why the sky is blue if anyone ever wondered, all the scattered blue light.

also, no matter what light you use, if you have all plants showing sex after 2 dark cycles, you must have some super weed i never heard of, regardless of what lights they are under, or using some mega flower hormone or something because that is very very fast. 12 hours seems unbelievable to me, but hey I've been wrong once or twice before.

I fact the sun's spectrum does change with the seasons. This is because our atmosphere reflects and absorbs different wavelengths differently. shorter wavelengths are scattered more easily than longer wavelengths, which is why the sun is redder when its lower in the horizon (sunset or late fall). when the light has to travel through more atmosphere the longer wavelengths penetrate the atmosphere better. this is also why the sky is blue if anyone ever wondered, all the scattered blue light.

also, no matter what light you use, if you have all plants showing sex after 2 dark cycles, you must have some super weed i never heard of, regardless of what lights they are under, or using some mega flower hormone or something because that is very very fast. 12 hours seems unbelievable to me, but hey I've been wrong once or twice before.

Are you talking about the equator or the northern hemisphere? Or are you talking about the sunlight in space? When I said sunlight is constant, I meant sunlight is constant. Yes, depending on season, it is directed at a different angle, travels through more atmosphere, and varies in how long it shines every day, but the light source itself remains the same. I live in WA, which has daylight until 10pm in the summer, and 4:30pm in the winter. When I lived in AZ, I had daylight until about 8pm every day regardless of season. When I'm in Mexico, the sun shines until about 8 every day as well. My point is that different places in the world experience different variances in sunlight, and while our environmental factors may effect sunlight in our atmosphere, the light source itself remains the same.

The strain that popped hairs the first day after dark was ICE (White Widow x Cinderella 99). She finishes within 7 weeks normally. Day 2, all of them popped. What's interesting is that when I post a picture showing something, people seem to imply that I'm skewing the results somehow. So to re-iterate: 9-26, 4 plants went into an 8 plant aero unit, under a 126W light and nutrients were added. 9-27 at 12pm, the light went off. 9-28 at 9pm, I took a picture showing pistils. 9-29, all plants are showing pistils.

This is a "documentary" grow, where LED and the plants are the subject of study. If you see something that is out of the usual, maybe it's cause of a brand new lighting technology and pinpointed wavelengths. Either way my role in all of this is take pictures and change nutrients. I have no other role. So watch, hopefully learn, and maybe you'll see some more new things along the way. I've personally never seen plants bud as fast, as what I've grown under LED...

The strain that popped hairs the first day after dark was ICE (White Widow x Cinderella 99). She finishes within 7 weeks normally. Day 2, all of them popped. What's interesting is that when I post a picture showing something, people seem to imply that I'm skewing the results somehow. So to re-iterate: 9-26, 4 plants went into an 8 plant aero unit, under a 126W light and nutrients were added. 9-27 at 12pm, the light went off. 9-28 at 9pm, I took a picture showing pistils. 9-29, all plants are showing pistils.

sorry if it seemed like i was implying exaggeration, i wasn't, just that there may be another reason it started flower so fast. (like age)

I am a scientist by profession and by nature, and the first two criteria of scientific thinking are

1)question everything, including all assumptions.
2)extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I've never seen anyone get flowers in one short dark cycle before, so i am having a bit of trouble digesting it in my brain. but ICE is weird so who knows.

I've seen an ICE grow here from a veteran, and man i must admit it was some of the weirdest genetics i have ever seen. very small, light, wispy buds, but huge plant. i wonder if yours will turn out like that.

last note on sunlight, i was talking from my own viewpoint, so northern hemisphere. man i wish i could get cali-type sunlight here. from a technical standpoint, the sun goes through periods of activity and rest, so it does actually fluctuate over time, but not much. i guess you can consider the sunlight in space to be relatively uniform. . . that knowledge will come in handy next time i want to grow something in space. lol, joking of course.

I am a scientist by profession and by nature, and the first two criteria of scientific thinking are

1)question everything, including all assumptions.
2)extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I've seen an ICE grow here from a veteran, and man i must admit it was some of the weirdest genetics i have ever seen. very small, light, wispy buds, but huge plant. i wonder if yours will turn out like that.

last note on sunlight, i was talking from my own viewpoint, so northern hemisphere. man i wish i could get cali-type sunlight here. from a technical standpoint, the sun goes through periods of activity and rest, so it does actually fluctuate over time, but not much. i guess you can consider the sunlight in space to be relatively uniform. . . that knowledge will come in handy next time i want to grow something in space. lol, joking of course.

I'm with you on the scientific attitude. It's good for people to question things, and when companies make claims, it's good to make them prove it. These are the same principles that I have which caused me to make my own light and prove it lol. No matter how many grows I do personally though, I figured that 1 grow by Ed Rosenthal would provide everyone with what they need. ;)

As far as Ice, when I grew her under HID, she had nice large colas, that were sticky as hell, and she smells/tastes a little like mildew (every plant, ever garden I've ever smoked her from), but my God she's a great high! The buds were always light though, as she's one of my lowest producing plants. Now with LED, her buds are getting nice and big, and they feel about twice as dense. Hopefully she'll give me a really nice yield this time around in my other garden.

I'm with you on the scientific attitude. It's good for people to question things, and when companies make claims, it's good to make them prove it. These are the same principles that I have which caused me to make my own light and prove it lol. No matter how many grows I do personally though, I figured that 1 grow by Ed Rosenthal would provide everyone with what they need. ;)

so can you just explain to me how ed is helping? is that one soon to come, or is he helping with this journal or what? just wondering.

and - I assume thats why your here, to prove your claims, and thats why i'm here, to be convinced.

gl! i am easy to please, hard to impress.

:popcorn:

that is a good point bill nye... i mean wheelofortune :D

i was reading this page and started to wonder...

the wavelengths chosen for the LED bulbs are a great start to mimicking the sun. but photosynthesis is a complicated reaction. you may need 100 different wavelengths to stimulate all the necessary steps. although i hope not

the trial and error along with a few harvests will give the answer

so can you just explain to me how ed is helping? is that one soon to come, or is he helping with this journal or what? just wondering.

and - I assume thats why your here, to prove your claims, and thats why i'm here, to be convinced.

gl! i am easy to please, hard to impress.

:popcorn:

I spoke with Ed today, who is doing an independent study using our lights. He is growing Green Cr*ck in two, 4' x 4' grow spaces, using a 1000W HPS vs 3 of our 318W units (954W). He said that the first progress/update pictures will be made available in approximately 2 weeks. The test is however, underway ;) The purpose of his test, is that he wanted to see the true equivalency (watt per watt) of LED to HID. If he yields 3x more with LED, you can assume that 1, 318W unit is comparable to a 1000W HID. I can't wait for his results!

I'm here to show you all what these lights can do, answer any questions, and help educate you on LED technology. Our lights are vastly different from other units you see on the market, and we've arranged for several grow comparisons to be performed against our competitor's LED's to prove it.

With this grow you will get to see what a single 126W unit is capable of, growing 4 marijuana plants in an enclosed area. The results will be much different than any other LED grow test you may have seen previously. Unlike most other companies making LED's, I'm a medical patient who's devoted to gardening, and it's been my sole intent to develop a replacement for HID in my garden, while tailoring the new source directly for marijuana. During the next 8 weeks I hope to impress as many of you as I can, and for those who still remain skeptics, stay tuned for Ed's grow which will have pictures online very soon.

that is a good point bill nye... i mean wheelofortune :D

i was reading this page and started to wonder...

the wavelengths chosen for the LED bulbs are a great start to mimicking the sun. but photosynthesis is a complicated reaction. you may need 100 different wavelengths to stimulate all the necessary steps. although i hope not

the trial and error along with a few harvests will give the answer

Marijuana converts light into plant energy most efficiently at 439nm, 469nm, 642nm, and 667nm for photosynthesis. Carotenoids convert light into plant energy most efficiently at 439nm and 483nm. Our light hits every point, as it emits from 425nm-485nm (peaks at 440nm and 470nm), and 625nm-675nm (peaks at 640nm and 660nm). Any of the light in between these wavelengths that plants would normally receive, is supplied by our 3000k white LED's. Anyhow, our light was built specifically to hit ALL peak points of the plants we all know and love. We made sure that they didn't miss out on anything they needed.

...The purpose of his test, is that he wanted to see the true equivalency (watt per watt) of LED to HID. If he yields 3x more with LED, you can assume that 1, 318W unit is comparable to a 1000W HID....

I'm thinking he maybe should have compared a lower-power HID with equivalent LEDs, since the 1000W HID might just take the plant too close to its max possible yield, and there may not be enough room for improvement to double or triple those results with the other lights. For example, compare a 600W HID with 5 x 123W LEDs or something similar. Then you'd know there was room for a lot of improvement.

I'm thinking he maybe should have compared a lower-power HID with equivalent LEDs, since the 1000W HID might just take the plant too close to its max possible yield, and there may not be enough room for improvement to double or triple those results with the other lights. For example, compare a 600W HID with 5 x 123W LEDs or something similar. Then you'd know there was room for a lot of improvement.

I've thought about the issue of light saturation myself. 954W of LED in a 16 square foot area is about 60W per foot. With HID, that's fine, but LED light is far more usable than HID light. HID emits the whole spectrum, with LED he's using 1000W of targeted light. Either way, I guess we'll just wait and see. Ed will not be the last person using our lights for a grow comparison, and there will be many other tests to come. 420Magazine may even begin one soon.

Hopefully my 126W grow test will help to demonstrate the lower power grows, but of course lacking the side by side comparison. Most of you are familiar with what a 400W HID can do though, so it shouldn't be hard to look at my results with LED at the end and make some assessments.

I spoke with Ed today, who is doing an independent study using our lights. He is growing Green Cr*ck in two, 4' x 4' grow spaces, using a 1000W HPS vs 3 of our 318W units (954W). He said that the first progress/update pictures will be made available in approximately 2 weeks. The test is however, underway ;) The purpose of his test, is that he wanted to see the true equivalency (watt per watt) of LED to HID.

man that will be sweet. I really appreciate this big time. I have been waiting for something like this for a while now. too bad the prices aren't equivalent yet. lol.

I've thought about the issue of light saturation myself. 954W of LED in a 16 square foot area is about 60W per foot. With HID, that's fine, but LED light is far more usable than HID light. HID emits the whole spectrum, with LED he's using 1000W of targeted light.

yeah, plus with three sources, coverage could be crazy if you could spread them out. I like the watt for watt, foot for foot comparison, but i would also love to see how they compare unrestricted in space, or on light movers. why only try to maximize one aspect of the setup? (other than for comparison obviously)

Hi HydroLedChick, thanks for going through this with us.

I will agree with Wheel when he says your plants showed sex in a ridiculous short period of time. Unheard of. Were you doing any particular dance when that happened? Just curious. I do a mean egg-beater dance. Doesn't help. Entertains the cat.

I was reading the comparison grow on your website when I saw this: "On July 13th, we planted romaine lettuce seeds in the baskets. The seeds under LED took two days before all had sprouted, whereas the HPS took four days." How exactly does lighting help seeds sprout? I always sprouted mine in darkness, then shoved them under the light.

Thanks for answering our questions.

man that will be sweet. I really appreciate this big time. I have been waiting for something like this for a while now. too bad the prices aren't equivalent yet. lol.

yeah, plus with three sources, coverage could be crazy if you could spread them out. I like the watt for watt, foot for foot comparison, but i would also love to see how they compare unrestricted in space, or on light movers. why only try to maximize one aspect of the setup? (other than for comparison obviously)

With 3 of our units, his coverage should be insane. I'm wondering whether or not he may actually reach the saturation point of light... If so, that wouldn't be so good for us lol. Anyhow, his results should destroy the HID without a problem. The reason we don't have more tests with more parameters, is because people like you haven't performed them yet lol. Ed has a limited amount of time to devote to this, and I only have so much money to send people out free lights with, so it's a lot more economical for me to stick with 1 or 2 grows...

I will agree with Wheel when he says your plants showed sex in a ridiculous short period of time. Unheard of. Were you doing any particular dance when that happened? Just curious. I do a mean egg-beater dance. Doesn't help. Entertains the cat.

I was reading the comparison grow on your website when I saw this: "On July 13th, we planted romaine lettuce seeds in the baskets. The seeds under LED took two days before all had sprouted, whereas the HPS took four days." How exactly does lighting help seeds sprout? I always sprouted mine in darkness, then shoved them under the light.

I used to see pistils within 3 days of putting the plant under HID, so this isn't really that big of a deal to me I guess. I veg 24 hours a day, and then boom, 12/12 for bloom. The plants reach 18" after being topped 2-3x, and then they're ready to flower.

As far as the seed thing, it was just an observation. It happened with tomatoes too, and yeah a lot of people germinate seeds in the dark. I don't know why the HID seeds took longer each time, it's just something that occurred.

First post and would agree with many that led is the next step. I have done plenty of my own research in led technology. Happy to see someone has done their homework. I have never posted on any led grows due to me not wanting to explain why they are going to fail.

Your selection of led's are what I have come up with in my research. You are probably using the XR-C's. But I have looked for so long for a 1W 440nm and only could come up with a good source using white led's and could be any of the temps depending on the brand. For example the difference in the XR-C and XR-E.

Since you are using Bridgelux blue you are most likely getting 470nm spectrum from them.

So are you getting the 440 from a white or a 1w 440 nm led? Who makes it if its a 440nm?

Hello Cammie:nicethread:

Welcome and glad your doing this comparison grow. I will say you know your stuff and present it well. I bought a UFO and have never used it. I read all the negative stuff about it and realized I had bought a lemon. As things work out I am now in a situation that I will soon use it, if for nothing else than keeping 2 plants alive. Surely it will do that much.

I will say you have grit my dear:grinjoint:

So are you getting the 440 from a white or a 1w 440 nm led? Who makes it if its a 440nm?

As far as I know, Semi makes the blue. We don't use Cree LED's in our products. They are overpriced, and difficult to install/service. The cost/watt on them would price our unit out of the market, for what it is. If I were to run solid Cree LED's, my light would cost about $799-999 retail (although Cree doesn't make half of what's in my light).

Back
Top Bottom