175w HID vs 2' 4 bulb T5 ?

TheFertilizer

I was down at the local hydro store today and was looking at the lights they offered. They had one interesting looking 175 W MH that was a fully contained light and ballast in one. Seemed pretty heavy. Then they had some T5s for the same price, but I was wondering what would be better off for veg in a 3x3 space. I'm leaning towards the T5 since I think it will run cooler.

I was down at the local hydro store today and was looking at the lights they offered. They had one interesting looking 175 W MH that was a fully contained light and ballast in one. Seemed pretty heavy. Then they had some T5s for the same price, but I was wondering what would be better off for veg in a 3x3 space. I'm leaning towards the T5 since I think it will run cooler.

4-bulb, 2' T5 uses 100w total/25w per bulb but won't(!!!) cover 3'x3'. And will run cool, but meh. The footprint is about 16"x28". The 175w MH, will, for veg, decently cover a 36"x36" area. Me, I'd recommend buying a 400w Hortilux HPS bulb as best bang for buck by far, along w/an adjustable, digital ballast ("dimmable") that allows for 250/400/600/1000w bulbs, (and dimming the bulb, allowing for cooler running if needed) allowing for future flexibility & garden improvements. OR, for a permanent veg light that runs cool, a 8-bulb, 4' T-5 that'll cover 4'x4' quite nicely

2-bulb, 2' T5 uses 100w total/50w per bulb but won't(!!!) cover 3'x3'. And will run cool, but meh. The footprint is about 12"x24". The 175w MH, will, for veg, decently cover a 36"x36" area. Me, I'd recommend buying a 400w Hortilux HPS bulb as best bang for buck by far, along w/an adjustable, digital ballast ("dimmable") that allows for 250/400/600/1000w bulbs, (and dimming the bulb, allowing for cooler running if needed) allowing for future flexibility & garden improvements. OR, for a permanent veg light that runs cool, a 8-bulb, 4' T-5 that'll cover 4'x4' quite nicely

I have to keep the electrical draw at 200 watts or less. This is for veg. only, not flowering with this light. I figured the 175 W HID would be better than a 4 bulb 2' T5 ( which is as high as I can go ), but I don't know about the heat build up. I am going to put this in a 3x3 tent adjacent a 4x4 tent running a 400W HPS.

I actually have some pretty strong CFLs ( spiral bulbs ) but can't find any kind of reflector to fit them. In any case, they're about 85-100 watts a piece (rated for 105 but people have ran them on Kill-A-Watts and saw them drawing 85 ). I have veg'd out some pretty big plants in a 5x5 area with 3 of them fairly well. I figure that with the good reflector's behind them, just 4 2' T5 bulbs would be about the same output.

I don't necessarily need them to get huge or grow really fast, I'm basically just trying to build a veg chamber that will grow them slowly, but quickly enough that they're ready for flower by the time my 4x4 is done flowering, and then try to get into a quicker turn-over this way.

I have to keep the electrical draw at 200 watts or less. This is for veg. only, not flowering with this light. I figured the 175 W HID would be better than a 4 bulb 2' T5 ( which is as high as I can go ), but I don't know about the heat build up. I am going to put this in a 3x3 tent adjacent a 4x4 tent running a 400W HPS.

I actually have some pretty strong CFLs ( spiral bulbs ) but can't find any kind of reflector to fit them. In any case, they're about 85-100 watts a piece (rated for 105 but people have ran them on Kill-A-Watts and saw them drawing 85 ). I have veg'd out some pretty big plants in a 5x5 area with 3 of them fairly well. I figure that with the good reflector's behind them, just 4 2' T5 bulbs would be about the same output.

I don't necessarily need them to get huge or grow really fast, I'm basically just trying to build a veg chamber that will grow them slowly, but quickly enough that they're ready for flower by the time my 4x4 is done flowering, and then try to get into a quicker turn-over this way.

SOLUTION:
Search "CFL grow light reflector" on eBay. You can also try Amazon, or google "buy cfl grow light reflector". Just watch what socket you get to make sure your bulb is compatible.

Example:

420-magazine-mobile1877641806.jpg

If you're looking for low power draw have you considered COB LED lights? Timber Grow Lights sponsor :420: and if you get in touch with them they should be able to offer you a low wattage light that will do the trick, or if you're confident you could build your own, I have bought premade and DIY kits and most recently have just built my own which stand me at £25 per single driven 50w light. I use 3 in a 4'x4' tent with great results, I could probably get by with two as I had to raise them due to the plants shying away from them, they are that powerful in output and penetration whilst drawing next to nothing. The only thing I would warn you about is that if you need the heat from the lights for your area then these probably would not be best. I have some on show in my current journal (1st page, 2nd post) if you would like to see which type of lights I mean, perfect for vegging and you can always just boost them with your other light if you decide to use them for flowering too. :thumb:

If you're looking for low power draw have you considered COB LED lights? Timber Grow Lights sponsor :420: and if you get in touch with them they should be able to offer you a low wattage light that will do the trick, or if you're confident you could build your own, I have bought premade and DIY kits and most recently have just built my own which stand me at £25 per single driven 50w light. I use 3 in a 4'x4' tent with great results, I could probably get by with two as I had to raise them due to the plants shying away from them, they are that powerful in output and penetration whilst drawing next to nothing. The only thing I would warn you about is that if you need the heat from the lights for your area then these probably would not be best. I have some on show in my current journal (1st page, 2nd post) if you would like to see which type of lights I mean, perfect for vegging and you can always just boost them with your other light if you decide to use them for flowering too. :thumb:

I haven't I figured LEDs would be out of my price range. Only want to spend about $100 bucks.

Gonzo,
The problem with the CFL reflectors is that they insist on selling a bulb with them and making them $50 or more. That one up there for $40 was the cheapest I'd seen, but even then to buy two would cost the same as one of the T5s I'm looking at.

Then there's the other issue that I'd need an adapter because my CFLs have an E39 base, not the E29 Mogul base on those. The finally, the ones that are meant for HPS/MH bulbs have the odd 3 pronged adapter so I'd have to cut and splice a regular AC cord on. So yeah, that route started seeming impractical pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom