1st Indoor Grow - 9 Strains - Eek!

Today I tested one of the 1000w MH lamps. Jiminy Cricket does a 1000w kick out the heat! I was trying to plan this so it was cooler weather before needing this, but I just couldn't wait any longer to get started - a hot month early.

I figure I won't need the 1000w for 2-3 weeks, but it will still be fairly warm here so I am thinking hard about how/where to ventilate the heat. Went to the store and picked up some items - but I am so NOT good at this type of thing. Hubby is, but I am strictly on my own with this one - he wants nothing to do with it and I respect that. It may take me longer, but I'll figure it out.

This is a very large upstairs room (13' x 21' total, but not that much for grow area) that is open on one end, going up a couple steps to a large double closet area (5'x8' open area between two 4'x8' closets). I am hoping to veg in those closets under CFLs when I cycle/clone grows.

The large room has one 1.5' x 2' opening to an attic in the ceiling, a second 2.5'x 3' door to an attic area in a wall that leads direct to a roof vent, and a window (but I have the window light-tight covered and prefer to keep it this way).

Right now I am venting the A/C unit out the wall attic and it is working fine. But after running the 1000w for just a little bit, I am positive I will have to vent differently when I begin using it. Exchanging air will be so much easier when the weather turns cool, I can pull fresh air in from the wall and vent the heat up the ceiling.

Now that I got to put one of the 1000w together, I have a question. And please forgive this ol' lady for sounding really dumb... I bought a cooling fan for the 1000w system. The 1000w has covers/openings on both ends that the fan will fit.

My question...
Do I want to use the fan to pull in outside room air that would blow all the way thru and over the light, venting the heat out the other end and up to the attic? OR - Do I want to leave the one end open and connect the fan so it is pulling air thru and directly into the vent ducting (or whatever that crap is called!!!) and out to the attic?

Any help explained in idiot terms, would sure be appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance!!!!

I would use the closed system where you take outside (the room) air, vent across the lights and back outside the room. This will help keep the temp lower in the grow area which is uber important.

Then you will also need to exchnage the air in the grow area so the plants have fresh air. Dont worry too much about co2 at this point in your grow. It is a not worth it unless you have everything perfectly dialed in. perfect your setup then move into the co2 arena.

You can use 1 powerful fan to exhaust the room through the lights to the outside by leaving one end open. All the air gets sucked from the room through the sealed reflectors through the fan and outside the room. New air would come into the grow room passively, or add another fan that is strictly an intake at the opposite end of the room from where the air is getting sucked out.

Thanks so much to all for advice, responses and just for watching. :peace:

Obx: I reviewed a bit of your grows just now... and nice! :yummy: :goodjob: drooling here! I will be watching thru the fog (lil joke) on yer current grow - looks like your getting primed for a wonderful harvest!! And I love yer personal image, it looks like some of my family and some of our biker friends (yes, this granny rides - hubby has a Heritage HD and I ride a 600 Shadow, and our sons ride, and our grandkids are even getting started with a pocket rocket and a lil chopper). The pic probably isn't you - but I do like the looks of whoever it is cuz it makes me feel like yer a friend. :)

McBudz - I had already visited your grows, the white widow cuz I was planning on that one, and the mixed just cuz you had such awesome returns on your WW grow that I had to drool some more!!! Yes, I loved your grows already, so it is sure good to see you! Thx for visiting me and my 1st grow! :thanks:

What a mess I am with slobber runnin' down my chin after visiting obx and mcbudz grows! Gosh those buds look yummy. Hugh (and anyone else) - you should check out both these fellas grows... both are :nicethread:s (you can find their links in their signatures).

Now, as for the 24/0 currently - I was going to do this just for a couple weeks cuz I read somewhere that you can get more stretching in the first couple weeks of growth if you go less than 24/0. Now I am rethinking. I thought I would switch to 18/6 when the babes are growing a bit better and bigger. I am picking up a timer today so I can switch if anyone really thinks I should.

And McBudz, thanks so very much for the response! I would have stayed with CFLs, but didn't have enough to work after transplanting to pots and no money to buy more at this moment (have 1 150w CFL that arrived non-working and I had to return it... still waiting for the replacement to arrive). I do have 2 1000w convertable MH/HPS and think I got it set up just fine. Temps are staying 70F to 79F, so I think we are good. The venting out the roof vent is working wonderful. Fresh air comes in passively from downstairs (been leaving the door open when can), central air is also blown in from our main heating & a/c vents, and I am opening the window as often as I can. I will get fixed up with a better intake of air when it cools a bit more outside here (right now would only be pulling in really hot air).

My humidity is in the 40s tho (41 to 47%) - should I be majorly concerned? I opened up the window today (nice day) and hope the fresh air does them good and increases the humidity just a bit (raining outside here). I am going to see if we have a humidifier in a closet somewhere. For now, I have some water in a tray in front of the fans, hoping to increase it a bit.

I had my first casualty. Lost 1 WW due to a clutz attack (dropped the thermometer on it and broke it off - urg!~!.

As some were sprouting I'm not sure if I had a pH problem (pH was fine in the beginning and then was at 5.2 when I checked again a few days later - eek!), a lack of N problem, or an overwatering problem. Those that sprouted 3 days later than the first sprouts have a lot of yellowed first leaves. This is especially on the tip and outer edges, but the whole first 2 leaves on some (will upload pics as soon as can). This is why I flushed the rockwool and planted them in small pots in fertile soil with a corrected pH.

There are some seedlings that just don't look healthy (a couple warped formations and a number with the yellowed first 2 leaves) - but I'm doing the best I can and do expect some loss. I sure do hope to keep it minimal tho.

I have grown a lot of herbs from seeds (never MJ) and know this is a crucial time, but I also know you can do a bit wrong and those lil hummers sometimes amaze you when they get what they need and take off! I started off with a huge amount of seeds in the hopes that I at least get 10 to 15 real good looking female plants in the end from these seeds - that's my goal. I hope at least 1 female of every variety (and 3 cheese cuz they are feminized). Then I will clone those really good looking females and *hopefully* know more about how to do things with the second round. Big Spirit in the Sky, please let me have at least one female of each variety!!!!

Anyway, I feel I have done all I can and the best thing I can do now is NOTHING (accept maybe increase humidity). I am just giving them a chance to show me if the changes were good (or not).

Happy Trails to ALL :peace:

I am day 10 from the first sprout showing itself - the remainder came up within the next week.

Had a few issues to deal with and hope I have done what is needed. The flush and transplant has sure helped tremendously. The first sprouts were coming up great and healthy, and then I noticed extreme yellowing as others were sprouting - this is why I flushed with proper pH water and transplanted. Here is an image (rather large to show details) of where I am today.

All-10_DaysAndLessFromSprout.JPG

You can see the yellowed leaves on some in this image, but the new growth is now nicely green and looks healthy. A number are getting their second set of leaves. A few may not recover, but we will see.

A couple I have had to support either by building up the soil, or as with WW9 by using something to support it.

Now I am having a damping off problem with a few. I wanted to dry them out pretty good before watering again, but the lil hummers began wilting so I had to water - which I know will not help the damping off from getting to more.

Since I have used cinnamon powder in the past with other herbs, this is what I am treating with now. It is a natural fungicide. We'll see how it works with MJ. In the image above, the brown around the bottom of the stems is cinnamon powder.

I also went 18/6 a couple days ago cuz so many great growers suggested this was fine. I've seen their grows and pretty much think they know more than I do!

And I moved my 1000w MH to 40" above the seedlings. I know this is an overkill light for seedlings - but I don't have enough CFLs at present so I have to use what I have. They seem to be liking this light.

That's it for a report and a pic. Not much to report when they are this little. I'm still just seeing what is going to survive the seedling stage. Some are very good looking and huge, others are very small and look very healthy, and some are really struggling. Everything growing out since the transplant is nice and green and healthy.

I love looking at the various leaf structures tho. The Thai Tanic has long slender leaves (sativa dominent) - beautiful to me. And the comparison of a few Super Nova Chronic leaves may be an early indication of sex??? There are some with much fatter leaves (SN3) in comparison to others (SN1). This will be interesting to compare when they do actually show their sex much farther down the road.

That's it! Even if no one ever reads this, I am finding it a wonderful place to journal my progress. And I am sure doin' a happy dance with having these babies grow! :slide:

nice baby's looking good i love your setup.

Thank you WeedRyder. The setup has a long way to go, but it's a start.

Well it is day 15 from that first night's seed soak, day 5 to 12 from the seedlings rising. They are growing quite nicely now. I have left out any plants that I do not feel are going to make it (had issues - corrected now).

In the images below, you can see I had a problem when they were sprouting cuz the first two leaves on a number were very yellow at the time of sprouting. My pH was way low. I fixed things then and now all growth is nice and green.

I'll start with Thai Tanic. These came up one at a time with a few days between each. The third is still rising. Look at those thin sativa leaves.

15Day-ThaiTanic.JPG

Then we'll look at the White Widow. Poor lil hummers first leaves - but new growth all good now!!!

15Day-WhiteWidow.JPG

And on to the G13 Haze and Blueberry - so pleased all 3 seeds are accounted for here for both of these varieties.

15DayG13HazeAndBlueberry.JPG

The Medijuana, I was a bit harder on. All are growing healthy new growth, but you can see they had a hard start. They are all very short in stature in comparison to the other varieties, I contribute this to the strong indica in these.

15Day-Medijuana.JPG

And below is the Green. One is looking pretty good, but the other is pretty small and I am wondering if will make it or not. I think I see new growth and I SO want at least one female... so this one has my prayers at the moment. I am sure greatful for the bigger one with the fat leaves.

15Day-LSD.jpg

Last, but not least... the Super Nova Chronic. I am inserting 2 images, one from the front and one from the top. The top image is cuz there is a notable difference in the shape of the leaves on these (possible male vs female indications? time will tell). The smallest of these is also another that may not make it, but it is shooting out new healthy growth and rose later, so we'll see...
15Day-SuperNovaChronic.JPG

15Day-SuperNovaChronic_FromTop.JPG

Anyways... just updating my journal with images of where each variety is at.

Seems the cinnamon powder cleared up my damping off issue - had a few casualties, but no more problems.

A couple nights ago, I also did a light foliar spray with a mixture of 1tsp seaweed extract to 1gal h2o. I will do this once a week while vegging.

Continue with 18/6 1000w MH, but did lower it to 33" from the top of the plants again and all seem to be doing fine with it.

That's it for today. I must go absorb my mind with my staffing schedule for Sept. (what I'm supposed to be doing).

:slide:Doing a happy dance tho, cuz a nice selection of the babes are surviving and growing stronger (less chance of me killin' em off!)!!! :slide:

You shouldn't have to feed those things anything yet. Once the roots get through the rockwool and hit the soil they will get all the nutes they really need for a couple of weeks. Then work up from 1/4 strength. From what I can see you have a slight nute burn issue on those little guys not N def. You wouldn't see N def this early in growth.

Your humidity is ok. Could be a little higher but don't sweat it. Next time just use a propagation dome.

You shouldn't have to feed those things anything yet. Once the roots get through the rockwool and hit the soil they will get all the nutes they really need for a couple of weeks. Then work up from 1/4 strength. From what I can see you have a slight nute burn issue on those little guys not N def. You wouldn't see N def this early in growth.

Your humidity is ok. Could be a little higher but don't sweat it. Next time just use a propagation dome.

Hey McBudz. Good to see you! Okay - we gotta have us a serious talk about how ya reference my babes in the future... You can NOT refer to them as "little guys"!!! LOL I'm hopin' for a bunch of lil GALS!!!

Sure hope ya know I'm just teasin' and laughin'!! Well... yet serious too (want girls)! LOL

The burn you see could not be nute burn. It happened as they were rising from the plain rockwool under CFLs and I had not fertilized with anything at all. I think it was the distilled h20 I was using to water the rockwool (read somewhere that rw was high pH and to use this but I shouldda checked pH more often!).

The first seedlings to rise looked real healthy green for color, but then I noticed everything was very very yellowed as a ton of them were rising out. I checked pH and it was 5.2 - and I don't think they liked it at all. Otherwise, I thought possibly a N def cuz I don't know what rockwool has in it (I think nothing) for ferts. I had not added any nutes whatsoever - but the damage was done at this time and I believe I was very close to losing most of my crop cuz of how yellow everything was.

This is why I flushed them all with proper pH h20 (had no time to go slow), potted them in the hopes that the potting soil nutes would help if it was N def (as you stated). I also gave them a foliar spray with the seaweed extract at that time too.

Haven't done much since except the cinnamon powder around the bottom of their stems to disway damping off issues a couple experienced. Now, their just growing and the new growth all looks good for color.

I will remember to dilute to 1/4 strength when I do any foliar sprays in the future (and increase gradually) - and I will take your advice and not fert with anything for a while. Thank you. You sure do grow superb plants and I appreciate any help you are willing to offer!!

I did change the light to 18/6 as you and Oxy had suggested. I think they like the rest (they look at me happy!!! LOL!!!)

And thank you for responding to my humidity question. I haven't done anything to try to increase it, partially cuz I didn't want to increase the damping off issue I was having, and partially cuz things seem to be doing good at present. I will definitely have to get a dome when it is time to clone - I think that would have been a big help.

Anyways... thanks. All help is greatly appreciated - and so is looking at your grows! Truely amazing buds and trich pics - what great grows. *sigh* Hope I get to see my own LIVE sometime in the near future! :peace:

so Dutch Passions Blueberry? just wondering cause my first indoor is gunna be Blueberry, Orange Bud and Mazer

Southern, Sorry it took me so long to answer this. Yes. I wasn't sure if I could list where they came from. Had to get my butt in gear and go READ the forum rules before I responded. Mazer.... another I pondered over!. If ya have a journal going - let me know the addy so I can visit and watch the show. :popcorn:

Oh yes Granny, you will have a jungle! Carbon scrubber for exhaust will be a good thing. Love it or hate it, the dank stank of live medical marijuana can't be ignored. I love it. If you vent to outside, you shouldn't need supplement CO2 nor would it stick around long to do much good. Sealed room grows are different.
Better hurry with room prep, those babies are going to grow on you- fast! +rep for ambition -- PG

Nice grow looks like a super market of wonderful babies.

yeah I have an outdoor going right now nearing harvest in about 45 days it's in my sig

Oh yes Granny, you will have a jungle! Carbon scrubber for exhaust will be a good thing. Love it or hate it, the dank stank of live medical marijuana can't be ignored. I love it. If you vent to outside, you shouldn't need supplement CO2 nor would it stick around long to do much good. Sealed room grows are different.
Better hurry with room prep, those babies are going to grow on you- fast! +rep for ambition -- PG

PG - thank you for visiting! Yes - I hope I do have a jungle of ladies! Odor control, yes, this is very high on my list (have some super stinky strains). Found a DIY item elsewhere online that I am going to build and test in the next couple weeks - IF it works nicely, I will post it. If not, I'll be spending some more buckaroos. Also, thanks for the CO2 thoughts - yes, I bet it would be sucked right out with the venting. And room prep is on the schedule for next week, or Labor Day if I can't get to it before then. All very important issues! Thx!!

yeah I have an outdoor going right now nearing harvest in about 45 days it's in my sig

Southern - I did go visit your grow. I am wondering how tall that White Widow will get outdoors!!! Nice grow and variety - gotcha saved so I can watch the show.:popcorn: And thx so much for checkin' mine out!

Bilbus - Thank you. I have quite a ways to go, but it's a start! Hope you enjoy 420magazine as much as I do. Sure has a wealth of info and support!

Cabbage - Thx, and yes, if you read my journal you will know I did have a problem during sprouting - but all is well now (at least for the moment!).

Sure do appreciate the support and comments!!! Thx everyone!

:peace:

I will remember to dilute to 1/4 strength when I do any foliar sprays in the future (and increase gradually)

With such a large crop ALWAYS test 1 plant or an inconspicuous area of a few plants with your foliar mix before you do the whole crop. Dont want to make that woops.

And yes lil gals.. sorry I use "guys" universally. I will call them gals for now on to send you some of that extra positive female energy ;)

As prop states.. def. get a carbin scrubber or 2. it is going to start to smell real dank. Your neighbors down the street will smell it, it will be on your clothes.. def look into it soon.

With such a large crop ALWAYS test 1 plant or an inconspicuous area of a few plants with your foliar mix before you do the whole crop. Dont want to make that woops.

And yes lil gals.. sorry I use "guys" universally. I will call them gals for now on to send you some of that extra positive female energy ;)

As prop states.. def. get a carbin scrubber or 2. it is going to start to smell real dank. Your neighbors down the street will smell it, it will be on your clothes.. def look into it soon.

Will take your advice on only doing small testing before entire crop AND using 1/4 strenght IF I ever use anything again! I haven't used any nutes except the seaweed extract (1tsp to 1gal H2O) foliar spray that one time -but the problem started before that. I have NOT been using anything but plain water - but sure am having a problem with a number of the plants. Wish I had time to take and upload some images, but I don't. On a couple, all leaves are just very light green (not as should be) even tho they are growing new leaves. On both the Thai, the leaves are light green and droopy. And even the best looking ones have some yellowing in the green of their leaves.

I am questioning what my problem is. It almost looks like nute burn, but I've never had this before on any herb seedlings I've grown.

Here's my thoughts and remedies...

1) I am STRONGLY wondering if maybe our well water has nitrates or something else in it that is effecting them. We live on a farm and have always had well water. Right now, our water is slow running cuz we need to dig a new sand point. We do NOT drink our water. I KNOW it is hard water and high in iron - cuz it leaves the stains behind everywhere it drips. I am going to switch to store-bought water just to see if it makes a difference. This may be my problem right here. Only time will tell.

2) Humidity has often been 30s% to 40s%, but has dipped down to 26% and been as high as 77% (short lived). I put a humidifier in the room last night and will see if it brings it up at all - would like it at least above 40%.

3) Light too close? Don't think this is what it is, but I did move it to be 48" from the top of the plants.

4) Don't know if I overwatered and that's what is making a few of them continue to be light green/yellowish... I believe I have been letting them dry out pretty good before watering again (only watering once about every 4-5 days and do not drench when I do water). Most pots were pretty dry this morning but I didn't water them and I am hoping I don't have droopy dry plants by the time I get home tonight from work!

Yes, I am writing this from work. Seems there are never enough hours in the days!

I did get setup a bit better over the weekend for a couple things. Got a silver-colored tarp for the floor. And set up portable aluminum walls for reflecting the light back to the plants. I made these easily out of cardboard boxes (double thick cardboard), some spray adhesive and aluminum foil (dull-side out), and clear mailing tape to seal. Works like a charm - will upload pics when have time if anyone is interested.

And I got working on my odor control DIY setup. I found a DIY setup online at another site. Comments about it were mixed - some swore that was all they used for years and no odor problems ever, and others swore this setup didn't work at all. Simple description is a bucket with a fan pulling air out the top, holes in the sides to pull air in, and a mixture of soil moist, H2O, and ONA (odor neutralizing agent) in the bottom. I am adding a carbon filter system to it and will see how it works (if it can pull the air thru sufficiently). Got one finished except had to order the ona online - so just waiting for it to come in so I can test the system. Will upload updates and images when finished and tested to assure it works.

That's it for today's update. Really want to upload images (KNOW they are the most helpful!) - but having a huge problem finding the time to fit everything in! Hope to get time on Thursday between bookwork.

Take care everyone! :peace:

I did get setup a bit better over the weekend for a couple things. Got a silver-colored tarp for the floor. And set up portable aluminum walls for reflecting the light back to the plants. I made these easily out of cardboard boxes (double thick cardboard), some spray adhesive and aluminum foil (dull-side out), and clear mailing tape to seal.

Greets Granny,

I am pretty new to growing as well and have spent countless hours researching my new most favorite hobby. While using aluminum foil is a viable solution, there are better options.

The following is a chart of different materials and their effectiveness for reflecting light.

Material................... % reflected

Foylon............................94-95%
Reflective Mylar............... 90-95%
Flat White Paint................85-93%
Semi Gloss White..............75-80%
Flat Yellow......................70-80%
Aluminum Foil...................70-75%
Black..............................<10 %

The other thing I read and I cant remember the source but I am going to search for it and post it, perhaps somene with more experience can verify this... but it is not good to place reflective materials under the plants as the underside of the leaf isnt designed for light asborption and the light can actually damage the stomata (sp?) and stunt growth.

ALso, I have read from several different sources that any light over the 18/6 cycle has diminishing returns because the plants cant effectively process more than 18hours of light.

Discussion on these last 2 statements are welcomed and encouraged.

Back
Top Bottom