1st time CFL closet grow

today she's 9 weeks old, 5 weeks in 12/12. i dont have a magnifying glass but im thinking of taking her down around 70% brown pistles.

Pistil color isn't a very accurate measure of when to harvest. Trichome color is really what you want to look at. You can pick up a 60x jewelers loupe for about $15 and that would save you a lot of hassle.

There was a thread a few months ago where a guy harvested by pistil color and the smoke was completely lack of THC. He finally looked at the trichome color on his harvest bud and they were all clear.

But.. if you must go by pistils, here is something that might help.

whentoharvest11.jpg

So I had an idea, i just red some thread about using binoculars to check the resin out. Haha im gonna check her out when the lights come on.

Cost?? Hps is way more expensive on money than cfls for elecicity bil and buying.
Hps is way cheaper per lumen than any other light you can buy. You can get a 1000 watt hid set with ballast, hood reflector, both bulbs, hangers, and a timer for about 180 on ebay. This set up produces just shy of 100,000 lumens mh and 140,000 lumens hps. To get the same out of cfl you would need probably $400 worth, they would take up ungodly space, and run you 3 times as much on the power bill.

The conversation was about generally cost you can purchase cfls for a far less price than buying hps there's nothing wrong with yield. But LEDs are WAY cheaper than hps and produce the same resultsize if not better per lumen.

The conversation was about generally cost you can purchase cfls for a far less price than buying hps there's nothing wrong with yield. But LEDs are WAY cheaper than hps and produce the same resultsize if not better per lumen.
I agree 100% with the fact that you can get started cheaper with cfl, and that you can get good results from them, and that led is the future. I was just saying that for quality light that you can't beat cost per lumen with hid lighting. They are far more efficient as far as the cost per lumen than any other light outside of led but that's a hard comparison seeing that they don't measure led by lumen but instead by watt and PAR value. But regardless of that, the pics you just posted do prove that cfl is a cheap alternative to hid for startup or budget growers.

Cfl''s are the cheapest way to go..I use them and they work just fine..you really don't have to worry about exhaust and they don't make your temp''s go up..I would say you need at least 100 watts per plant and 50 watts for any additional plants..I have one plant and I using one 125 watt 2700k,2 40 watt 2700k and 4 23 watt 2700k...the 23 watt are the best for lumens per watt but they will all do the trick
20160206_230740.jpg
20160206_225713.jpg
20160204_234947.jpg

I notice that the edges of the leaves on the right plant in your first picture are curled up a little bit!
EDIT: sorry i didnt see the original post was old!

Back
Top Bottom