Heat issues in test run closet grow

Sirsmokezalot

hello everyone i currently have a test run going in my closet corner

it measures 18Wx26Lx48H..

Now my questions and problems with this "RUN" is that my closet gets too hot and i already have 2 still fans
placed around the perimeer of the setup..temps reach a high 100 F and as low as 88-90 F

i have for lighting 4 6700k CFL's and 2 2400 CFL's Theyres a small pc fan for exhaust and one of the fans i use for circulation is placed by the bottom right for intake aswell to blow air pass the CFL's

I need help regarding the temps on what to do ..more air in/out ?

Any help is appreciated

you might be able to veg in temps like that, but its risky to grow over 86f you can try adding some co2 a diy method popular is to take a 2 liter pop bottle add water 3-4 cups a teaspoon or 2 yeast and a cup of sugar and let the co2 gasses loose in your space, some 1/2 inch clear tubing coming out the lid going to above the plants is good co2 is heavier than room air, adding a second bottle with water and routing the tubing thru it makes a good airlock to help with the yeasty bread smell, and prevents anything dripping on your plants, and helps you know when its working cuz you'll see bubbles, heres a link to a guide to build one DIY CO2 Generator, by: jandre2k3
another thing i would do for sure is get more exhaust going, you dont wat to ruin a grow before you get it started! a little time and money spent now will be well worth it later, home depo has inline duct fans around 25 bux, and a bathroom "fart fan " for like 15 hope this helps and good luck:thumb:

You need more exhaust. I understand you have a small grow area so its hard to make space. Check out some of the journals you will find other ideas from similar setups. I am new here as well. I research everything I can. The answers are here and you'll find other tips.

Good luck!

Koo Thanx i been thinking the same about adding more exhaust

I have a original amnesia autoflower germinating that I will be putting in there
And seeing how it goes so I won't feel bad if it don't work out since it was a freebie
From an online seed purchase

Again Thanx BID .. SPRING

Hello every1,
I'm new to this whole thing. I want too set up a room but I dont kniw how to vent it. Do I just need fans? Any help would be great.

Hello every1,
I'm new to this whole thing. I want too set up a room but I dont kniw how to vent it. Do I just need fans? Any help would be great.

Welcome Kush! I am new as well but feel enlightened from researching the journals for a over a week. It really depends on the size of your grow area your budget and lighting. I am personally running a 6' x 2' x 8' grow room. I have yet to receive my seeds so I just have the room setup. I plan on a passive set up. 2 or 3 10'' clip on desk type fans. Exhaust and Intake. Research the threads. There is tons of advice and info on ventilation. The best thing you can do is to start a thread or journal and ask for advice but do some research as well.

As long as you have plenty of new fresh air comming in you will bbe fine.

Jimmy,
This is a stupid question but will the fresh air intake help with the heat? I only have 2 small fans running as outtake and the temp stays around 90 and there are not plants in the closet yet. My Humidity is around 50% now.

i have the same issue with my grow room, tho its much bigger. i built in a fan on ceiling that blows hot air down ward and i have a dual fan which blows 'ir or retrieves fresh air threw the vent from outside. it also sucks air out the room which doesnt work very well because the vent it built at the bottom of the room instead of the top, which is the reason why i built in a fan in the ceiling. what else can i do? portable AC are running $299 running. humidity 40-60 temp 95-100 some times it gets to 110.

i have the same issue with my grow room, tho its much bigger. i built in a fan on ceiling that blows hot air down ward and i have a dual fan which blows 'ir or retrieves fresh air threw the vent from outside. it also sucks air out the room which doesnt work very well because the vent it built at the bottom of the room instead of the top, which is the reason why i built in a fan in the ceiling. what else can i do? portable AC are running $299 running. humidity 40-60 temp 95-100 some times it gets to 110.

I have done some research on various threads. I am in the same boat. I suppose I am going to try and leave the closet door open a bit. I did make one mistake. The two fans I use are at the bottom pushing hot air out. I should place these at the top!

Jimmy,
This is a stupid question but will the fresh air intake help with the heat? I only have 2 small fans running as outtake and the temp stays around 90 and there are not plants in the closet yet. My Humidity is around 50% now.

Only stupid questions are the ones not asked. Oh and your question was really stupid too. Lol JK :).

Yes as long as the room which the closet is connected to is cooler then 90 it should reduce temps some. If your fans which blow air out are up high and your passive slots to let air in are lower it will also help to cool down the closet and it will help to circulate fresh co2 past the plants.

Only stupid questions are the ones not asked. Oh and your question was really stupid too. Lol JK :).

Yes as long as the room which the closet is connected to is cooler then 90 it should reduce temps some. If your fans which blow air out are up high and your passive slots to let air in are lower it will also help to cool down the closet and it will help to circulate fresh co2 past the plants.

Thanks! I was not thinking when I placed my small fans. I had the outtake at the bottom!! That will be fixed!

First off your vents are totally backwards (as it sounds like you know) You are basically taking the hottest air in the room then blowing it past the plants, then your vent is sucking the coolest air out of the room, in turn making the room even hotter.

If possible you should rework your vents and fan systems. Use the bottom vents as your passive intake vents, then make a outtake vent near the top of the room. Your ceiling fan should be able to be reversed (almost all ceiling fans can suck air up or push air down, just look for a little switch on it)

Or your other option sense you said you had a portable a/c. Just run its ducting outside somehow (make sure its not blowing out near where your passive intake air comes in). and use your a/c as your vent system as well as the cooling. If you do this properly there is no way the temps will be over 85 with a half decent a/c.

this meams i would have to reconstruct the room/door. the air passes threw the vent built at the bottom of the door. i was thinking to cut a 12 x 9 box hole at the top of the door and put the dual fan there and set it to OUT. the fan in the ceiling i would then put it at the bottom vent to blow new fresh air in from the outside. i havent bought the AC yet to expensive but i guess i h've to spend if i want it done right. thats only if my new idea doesnt work. i was trying to get over on the cost of construction because of thr tools needed is costly. i usually open the door for a few hours to get rid of heat but i dont want unwanted bugs to get in. i caught a few lady bugs to solve that problem tho

this meams i would have to reconstruct the room/door. the air passes threw the vent built at the bottom of the door. i was thinking to cut a 12 x 9 box hole at the top of the door and put the dual fan there and set it to OUT. the fan in the ceiling i would then put it at the bottom vent to blow new fresh air in from the outside. i havent bought the AC yet to expensive but i guess i h've to spend if i want it done right. thats only if my new idea doesnt work. i was trying to get over on the cost of construction because of thr tools needed is costly. i usually open the door for a few hours to get rid of heat but i dont want unwanted bugs to get in. i caught a few lady bugs to solve that problem tho

Ok wiz answer me these questions.

Is your grow room in a side room that has two doors. One door gos into your house the other door gos outside into your backyard. Or is this is a shed type separate building with just one door that gos out into your back yard?

Ok wiz answer me these questions.

Is your grow room in a side room that has two doors. One door gos into your house the other door gos outside into your backyard. Or is this is a shed type separate building with just one door that gos out into your back yard?

its a shed thats sits on the side of my house but on the balcony. im pretty high up from ground level.i dont know if that would have anything to do with the temp? it only has one door

You should have the intake on the opposite side of the shed as the outtake. Otherwise all that really happens is you move the few feet of air near the door. Ideally you would have passive vents at the bottom of your door. Then on the wall on the opposite end of the shed near the top of the wall or even through the roof you would have a fan blowing air out.

Ideally the intake is on a side of the building that does not get much or any sunlight on it. So if the door is on the sunny side of the building then making the door be the vent out and the other side have the passive vent would be best.

Those two things about placement of your vents may sound small. But they will make the difference of at least 10 degrees and possibly as much as 25 degrees. Well placed vents and fans will make a massive difference in the rooms temp.

If this is purely a 12/12 flowering room just run your lights on at night and have them off during the day. This also makes a massive difference in the temps.

Also just so you know if you didnt already. For your co2 you ideally want to run it when you are NOT venting air. Otherwise your co2 is just blowing right outside.

One common way people do this is they will have their vents off for say 45 minutes and at the same time their co2 is pumping in. Then their fans turn on for 45 minutes and the co2 turns off. The timing lengths isnt exactly whats important. Its just that idea of pumping co2 when there is no venting air.

Back
Top Bottom