Amphora420

i have small closet cfl set up with 5 plants in 5 inch pots (may be half gallon) . ive read to water everytime the soil is dry 1" or 2 " deep and i been doing so every 3 days when they feel kinda dry in fear of over watering . the other day by the 3rd day my plants were wilting for the first time (went away soon as i watered) . n i understand with heat n the dry closet the plants may dry up faster on certain days , but my question is should i try to aviod that in the future and start watering every 2 days? or will that be too often n over watering ? honestly my houses humitiy is very dry in the winter 20%-30% and if i really wanted to i can say my soil gets the top pretty dry after one day .. i understand my temp/humitity should be controlled better , but at the moment i have to just use fans and open windows and household iteams for this first grow .. lmk thankssssss

Plus it also depends on how you water....I like to water from the top and bottom till they are good and saturated. But my soil has good drainage which also plays a factor.
It is much easier to over water and I believe over watering will hurt a plant more and faster
Good luck.. Your plants will tell you whats goin on

Sent from my 5054N using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Standard practice, no matter what size your pot or cup is to water till you get flow out the drainage holdes, then let dry till the container is light, then water well again. There is no correct schedule, since you have a drier environment than a lot of other growers.

I also have very low RH in winter, usually just below 30%. So I have to let the plants tell me when to water them. Oh, and you certainly can spray a mist of water on their leaves now and then to raise the humidity, or put a pot of water in the enclosure, or any other inexpensive ways of raising the RH.

BTW, I use passive ventilation, too. None of that expensive ducting for me! Just fans and a window. ;)

I’m watering every second day and trying my best to understand the lighting and distances
I’m using cfl but as I’m novice and trying hard to put this together
Basically I need tips for a dumb grower

I’m watering every second day and trying my best to understand the lighting and distances
I’m using cfl but as I’m novice and trying hard to put this together
Basically I need tips for a dumb grower
watering on a schedule like that will kill a weed. You must wait for the soil to dry out all the way to the bottom so that oxygen is pulled down to the lower roots, or those roots will drown. Checking the top of the soil for dryness is a waste of time and will cause you to overwater by watering too often. You can not overwater by giving too much water in one session... fill that soil up to saturation... but it is very easy to water too often, drowning your plant because water is always sitting in the bottom of the container. Please read my link on how to properly water and join the other 172,000 people who have read it and now know the importance of a wet/dry cycle.

I havent had a 420 thing go to my email in a while and wouldent you know its this thread. I say this because I need to hear this again. Im drowning them! Dang sprouts in this heat. Sprouts are so delicate. Its so easy to water too much. The few plants I have in the ground too that are reveging. Real easy to get in the habit of constantly over watering. Thanks 420 mag. Wait till they just start to wilt!!

Back
Top Bottom