2 days into flowering and this! Hydro

Makes sense! So you suggest trying this now with the current plants? Pull them out and replace all hydroton with "croutons"? What to do about the big dying guy?

Sent from my SM-G925V using 420

I'd cut my losses with the dead one, it just doesn't seem to be at a point where it would be worth the effort to bring back.

A clone from another plant would grow faster than I think you could recover the wilty lady.

We would want to veg for less time to keep our #4s? The flo n gro uses these so I would have to get bigger buckets for that. So #4 will probably be our option. We are struggling trying not to lose anymore money but get this as close to perfection as possible and the battle is just beginning and it's frustrsting . LOL I appreciate the guidance so much. We thought we had a solid plan from the go.

Is now too late to take clones and drop them in the ezcloner? We have 24 amnesia lemon seeds waiting to be planted in batches of 12, but I am scared to mess them up to the point where I don't wanna drop them yet. This is probably a whole different topic. But propagation? We have a propogation center which the little brown cubes fit into. Then we put those cubes in the bigger cubes because they fit and that's what we were told.

Looks like you dropped a good chunk of change on that setup, I'd be bummed too! It reads like you are getting good advice on 420 Magazine. Folks here have saved more than one of my grows for sure. I suggest reading lots of completed journals with the equipment the most like yours. That's how I got started out and it really helps to have experienced folks willing to impart experience. Although not the ultimate solution considering your nice setup, I would have probably added a couple of air bubblers (Fish tank Stones) to the second grow area where the roots were sitting in water.

Looks like you dropped a good chunk of change on that setup, I'd be bummed too! It reads like you are getting good advice on 420 Magazine. Folks here have saved more than one of my grows for sure. I suggest reading lots of completed journals with the equipment the most like yours. That's how I got started out and it really helps to have experienced folks willing to impart experience. Although not the ultimate solution considering your nice setup, I would have probably added a couple of air bubblers (Fish tank Stones) to the second grow area where the roots were sitting in water.
We do plan on using air stones in our sites. We also plan on keeping the sites in the far back up the highest, the inside sites or level down, and the control bucket at ground level. We are thinking we want to use a small Rockwool cube to plant into if we can find ones that fit in our prop tray. Then we will break up the 36 remaining big cubes and stuff the #4 mesh buckets and set the seedlings in the middle. Does this sound like a plan? Other suggestions? Will that retain too much water if the flo n gro floods all the way to the top and sits there for the remainder of the 15 minute cycle?
thanks

You can take clones into flower to some extent, so long as you aren't deep into flower you shouldn't have much issue.

As for money spent, it will come back.
Thank you for that :) makes me feel better lol. The next issue is that we have multiple strains here and want to grow one single strain next time. So I don't see a good reason to clone these now that I think about it. We have a 36 site ez cloner and can only grow 12 girls at a time.

20160104_155512.jpg
20160104_155456.jpg

The dying lady. Rockwool was soaked. Granted I did just flood everyone.

I'd say that's long gone.

Doing a single strain is going to make things much easier.

As for the numbers deal, if you want to have equally performing plants expect to cull a percentage of what you start with until you have your system nailed down. I started my OSH clones in jiffy plugs, not a good idea as far as I am concerned, those hold lots of water and promote damping off (excess water on the stem leading to stem rot).

I've switched to rockwool plugs and find they work better for my method, still I want to improve my cloning skills.

I have not started cannabis from seed, but I have a breeding project that I have in the planning stages that will land me with some seeds. If that project pans out I'll be pretty happy. But that's going to be a few generations away at best.

Hey guys. Getting ready to move these back down into flower with a couple concerns. Root rot is becoming an issue. We have our roots sitting in a tiny bit of water and it seems that the roots that sit in the water strive and are strong and clean, but the ones that do not touch the water are getting rotted. Also, A couple of this plants, primarily one in particular, are droopy. It looks like overwatering, but the plants that have roots sitting in the water are less droopy than the one that is really droopy and doesn't have many roots. Thoughts on these things and moving our plants down to flower?
Thanks guys
20160107_160502.jpg
20160107_160451.jpg
20160107_160442.jpg
20160107_160428.jpg
20160105_171854.jpg

I also noticed that the plant with less roots and really droopy leaves, those droopy leaves are shiny. Not sure if that's important. 5.8 ph soul veg line 600 ppm because we cut the nutes in half and used a half dose of hygrozyme as well.

I'm no hydro grower , but when i'm good enough i will give it a go .
As regards your plants if it was me i would simplify it as much as possible for these girls .
I would re pot in rockwool as soon as possible and sit the pot on a saucer that will force the roots back into the pot , drill a few holes in the saucer so any runoff can drain away so the plant cannot wick any moisture . run two gallons of water threw it , followed by a gollon with nutes .
if it was me i would not reuse the runoff simple because we are theorizing what is wrong .
I would make up an identical pot with no plant as a guide for the dry weight of the flower pots .
Do not water again till till they weigh about the same , then re water to runoff
If they can recover they will , If they do not recover then so be it , you tried your best , it is all knowledge that helps in the future .
I would start my next run from seeds all the same or a mother for clones that i new was good .
i think you would also benefit from a digital timer were you will be able to fine tune your flood in the future with on times down to one minute , this would be great .
I wish you luck .
Be safe .

I don't know about Gods...but we can help.

This is not a 3 or 4 post solution. The problem is you have roots grown into a mess. We are going to have to cut back the mess and nurse it back to health.

The good thing is we are still in veg. So we can chop them back in half and let recovery take hold and grow double the weed. But it will take 3-6 weeks to get you through this.

I mean sure there is a good chance you can get the humidity just right but I would still top or train those and since you have cubes the size of Texas I would go full tilt and break them down.

Anything can be fixed in Veg. I am helping a guy recover a pythium problem in his DWC where he went weeks trying everything and nothing worked and he even cut off all the roots...and we got that under control... We can help you...but it is up to you what you are willing to do.

I personally have never seen something so outrageous with Rockwool. Lets give it a day and if no one responds who has dealt with that kind of rockwool I will ask you to start a journal on this web site and I will walk you through how I would handle it.

But this is not a 3 or 4 line post to solve it.

I mean unless you understand what it takes to cut those down and bury them. But I am betting as soon as you do they will not respond how you expect and will need follow up help.

This is not a frequently asked question. This is a long term project.

OR...the simple answer is move those into soil because you can't grow in Hydro that size of rockwool.
I am new here and don't want to upset anyone but you can grow in rockwall that size just not sure about flood & drain ,with nft they work perfectly well .I grew in them for five years with out any problems at all using plugs for my clones then transferring to 4"cubes I know he's using 6 " but IMHO this would have made no difference to my set up airation is key when using them we used to place the disc type air stones under each cube beneath the nutrient matt with great results. Don't want to get a rep for being an argumentative sob or come across as in know it all because I don't and am here to learn but IMHO you are 100%correct about them holding to much water

I would reduce the nutrient temperature by a couple of degrees for a few days to discourage harmful bacteria and encourage oxygen uptake by the solution and find some airstones to fit loosly in the channels directly beneath the pots and add some kelp to increase root production I would also try and reduce the amount the table floods by then when the roots improve bring the nutrient temps back. My nutrient solution always needed to be heated because it was always cold so I never really had issues with it being to hot.

Feel those brown roots and smell them. If they do not have a smell and slimy feel, it is probably not root rot. Could be staining from nutrient solution, or more likely they are being "air pruned". Air pruning happens when the root is exposed to air. It actually can be beneficial from what I read. Do a quick search on it and you should turn up something. If you think you have an idea in mind to keep those rock wool cubes from being to wet, I would probably try one or two of them in the flower room to see what happens. I would not move them all until you see positive results from a single one. As for the droopy plant, is it getting enough water?? or was it almost time for lights out when you noticed the droopyness??

20160109_171608_1_.jpg
20160109_171550_1_.jpg
20160109_170828_1_.jpg
20160109_170228_1_.jpg

Hello all! We waited a day to flood thus skipping a day, and the girls look like this. droopy. Also the roots were getting dry and crusty. We watered today and tried to supplement a bit of the not watering up to the rockwool by watering from the top a bit. We cant beat this droopiness though. Any ideas? We will be taking one downstairs asap.
Thanks guys!

Ok you all have properly already helped this guy out. but still just want to drop my to penny thoughts as well :D

I have a hard time to figure out that water system from those pics. But to me it seems like the wateringsystem and the mediums are for clay pellets only it looks like same system as the waterfarm system in theory and working wise maybe?. well i think personally rockwool is best for for eb and flow or aeroponic systems imo. The rockwool is filled with all those airpockets and works like a sponge So when just a few roots toutch water they well keep transporting water to the rockwool like a wick in an oillamp and water in a sponge will go stale cuz it is not being aerated properly. So when using that water system made for clay pellets, that does not get so waterbearing as rockwool, the rockwool will keep suffocating the plants. When i grow hydro i use the smallest rockwool plugs for the clones then i transplate the small plug to the pellets. the small plug will also easy suck moist via the roots in the dwc bucket but its to small to suffecate anything cus all roots have moved way on away from it.

i have grown most of the veg phase in rockwool with a simple drippin system as well some years back you just have to tweek the water timer from time to time. key is they almost have to dry out so the airpockets in wool they get refilled with air so it wil not go stale, but not so dry that the roots will suffer from it. and i put a slight tilt on the tray so access water runs better off worked fine for me.

Oh yeah and when growing with rockwool you also need to cover the top with something lightproof to protect the wool from being alge infested normally you get some white sheets to go with the grodan cubes those sheets are for putting on top.

sorry bro...a little tough love though.

That is over watered. those cubes are meant to be broken up. nothing needs or wants to grow in rock wool that size. Whoever sold you those should be shot.

I am not going to explain it all because I already sound like a douche. But you can't grow a plant in rock wool cubes that big...you have to be a uber pro to make that work. And anyone who is that good would not even think about wasting their time doing what you are doing.

Honestly your best bet is to start a journal and we can coach you thorough a recovery. First thing is going to be cutting those things down by 80% or more and burying those in new pots because you can control the humidity properly in cubes that big. Not to mention you didn't bury them.

Have you ever seen any journals or posts of people doing what you have done?

sorry to say but they are not ment to be broken up :) they can be but not ment to be. you can easily go full cycle in wool blocks M8 :)

Gro-Blocks | Grodan 101 here is all the different block sizes. personally i love the BIG MAMA :biglaugh: awesome name

sorry to say but they are not ment to be broken up :) they can be but not ment to be. you can easily go full cycle in wool blocks M8 :)

Gro-Blocks | Grodan 101 here is all the different block sizes. personally i love the BIG MAMA :biglaugh: awesome name
Hey there. How do you water with those big boys? We are wondering if we shouldn't just top water in the flo n gro for this cycle.

Back
Top Bottom