2 - Unknown - Gifted

Okay, first off, I'm back after almost 2 decades of not growing. Needless to say, things have changed. Namely, I decided to grow hydro this time. About 4 weeks ago I was gifted some seeds. These 2 were what I got out of 6 seeds that were gifted to me and I'm happy to have these, as she, the gift giver, only saves the rare seed from the strains she finds most effective or that give a unique feeling. Unfortunately she had forgotten what strains could be in the tiny little box, but when she heard I was setting up to get growing again, she happily volunteered her stash. She did tell me that some in the box could have languished, but hey, I gave it a try, anyway.

These are the two that have survived. This is their story. <dink-dink>

Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent. Any similarity to other people, living or dead, is purely coincidental.:rofl:

The Environs:
Grown: Indoor / Hydro
Light: T5 Cool Blue (For Now)
Light Cycle on/off: 18/6
Temp: 73f - 78f
pH: 5.5 ~ 6.5
Watering: drip 3x day 5min cycle
Nutrients: Advanced Nutrients: Jungle Juice Grow/Micro/Flower 3-part nutes.

I cracked these babies with a 24 hour soak then into paper towels. One emerged in 30 hours, the other 36 hours. Yes, I was anxious to grow so I checked back every two hours. I'm OC like that, I guess. They were started in FloraNova Grow, but I was having pH issues in this 5L res, so I switched to what is seen now above. luckily these little ones survived quite well, while the GDP in the same res suffered immensely.... poor girl... But that's another story.

Can anyone identify these, I know it's VERY early to accurately tell, but a general idea would be greeeeaaat.:thanks:
100811200128.jpg

Re: 2 @ Unknown: Gifted

The plants are still young, need more time to mature before pre-flowering. Give it another 2-3 weeks then flip to bloom (12/12) to determined sex, then go back to veg (18/6) if you like or continue to flower them out.

Actually, I'm right now more curious about strain, than sex. I know that'll be a while. But maybe if I take a slew of pics in the next week or two, someone could narrow it down fer meh. I know one thing... She, the grantor of these seeds, only goes after the more potent strains when making a selection, so I guess whatever I get outa these seeds will be a nice grow either way.

I'll be going up to the next step in the schedule...

Now the math.

It seems that the outlink of the nutrient schedule has vanished, so....
jungle_juice_mixing_instructions_bg.jpg

The next step calls for 132mL of EACH for the General Purpose-Mild

as these rates are for a 100L Schedule, I will break it down per Liter, then convert it to Gallon for those that are too bad at math to easily figure it out......... or too baked.

132(mL)/100(L) = 1.32(mL)
so:
1.32mL/1L
1Gal=3.78L
1.32 x 3.78 = 4.9896
5mL per Gallon
- OR -
1.0mL = 0.20288tsp
5(mL) x 0.20288(tsp) = 1.0144(tsp)
1tsp per Gallon

As this seems to me to be quite a jump from Cuttings & Seedling schedule, I will add it this week to the weaker nutrient mix in the res and next week go to the full strength mix.

More Pics of the (hopefully) little girls. They grow up so fast. . . :circle-of-love:

100911072925.jpg
100911072908.jpg

Ah, you wanted to know the strain instead of the sex. Unfortunately, there is no way of telling the strain from looking at the plant. There are over few hundreds genetics. It'll just be mystery seed. What we can identify is the family; white, skunk, kush, haze, and purple.

Ah, you wanted to know the strain instead of the sex. Unfortunately, there is no way of telling the strain from looking at the plant. There are over few hundreds genetics. It'll just be mystery seed. What we can identify is the family; white, skunk, kush, haze, and purple.
Well that's more or less what I was looking for I was more like family (instead of actual strain) white skunk kush haze purple that sort of thing. Anyway so yeah, when they start getting older if you can figure it out yeh.

Cool. Yes, when they get older we'll know. For now (from your latest pic update) the first image is Sativa/Sativa Dominant and the second is Indica/Indica Dominant plant.

YES! That's what I need, migraines, and insomnia.... Thank you. Hopefully the sativa will be green crack! I love that stuff for migraines.

re: 2 - Unknown - Gifted

Hey Jandree,
You somehow stayed away for even longer than I did. I use those T5s for my veg cab they are great. It is nice that you can get them so close to the tops and never have to worry about burning if you have to step out for a few days. The ballast that I have is five 55wat bulbs. Is that what you have going.

Hey Jandree,
You somehow stayed away for even longer than I did. I use those T5s for my veg cab they are great. It is nice that you can get them so close to the tops and never have to worry about burning if you have to step out for a few days. The ballast that I have is five 55wat bulbs. Is that what you have going.

It's an interesting story, really.... I only have 1 single-outlet 65w T5 fixture, I wasn't planning to have 4 plants when I first started, I set this up for my Grand Daddy Purple clone figuring that'd be enough for just the ONE plant. Consequently, I now have to redesign my "Flower Box" to get ready for the two mystery and one Sour Diesel that I have in addition to the GDP. But that's OT. So I'm going to have to bite the bullet, and now get an upgrade to give the amount of light needed by all 4. shold be something like a 140~160w dual-socket fixture with one Cool White (5600K) and one Warm White (3200K). Keep in mind, I am staying SMALL, no more than 4 plants at a time, and only one will be perpetually vegetative . . . . the GDP. I knew that I'd need to get a bigger fixture at some point, but I wasn't expecting to be gifted these seeds. Kind-of threw a happy wrench in the works, so-to-speak. This weekend I get paid, so, I think I'll go get the other fixture and bulb:thumb:.

Be well.

Now, about the li'l darlins!

Been on the new nutrient schedule for 24 hours now, No signs of (N) burn yet, but still watching closely for the next week or two as I slowly increase to full strength of step 2 above in the chart. Overall diameter increased by 2cm to 11cm each, and height is now 7cm on one and 9cm on the other. Those two cracked only 6 hours apart, but there is already a stark difference between the two. Namely height, and vigor.
Picture 1 seems to be taking its sweet time, staying compact, yet adding new pairs faster than the other.
Picture 2 although it has 1 less leaf pair, this one is almost 20% taller than its "sibling" under identical environs. I'm beginning to get a slight dread that a male is in the midst of my girls. I shall cull him if he shows his ugly (pre)flower and only feel sorry that the benefactor's seeds weren't all females when she gifted them... 50/50 tossup with seeds... oh well. We shall see. I might not tell her about it unless she asks.

101111174542.jpg
101111174605.jpg

Cool. Yes, when they get older we'll know. For now (from your latest pic update) the first image is Sativa/Sativa Dominant and the second is Indica/Indica Dominant plant.

Okay... I had to do this. Here is a side-by-side comparison of the two. One is NOTICEABLY larger than the other when they both poke their heads above the sponge hydro starter pod literally the same hour (Yes, I was off when they emerged, and I was like a nervous father waiting for them to poke up from the darkness).

@Twelve12, Which is the Sativa? I think the right one, right? (hey, it's been a while, I'm rusty still)

Sorry it's so wide, I uploaded it directly from the phone, and now I can't turn it.
101211180149.jpg

i know i'm not 12/12, but yes, sativa on the right, indica on the left. you can tell by the leaves. sativa's are taller with longer skinnier leaves, and indi's are shorter and bushier with broad fat leaves.

But.... the one on the right (Sativa?) is not the taller one. The one on the left is almost 20% taller than its "sibling". So now I'm still confused.

that is the general outline for determining which is which. check out my grow journal, and you'll see my 4 plants. number 1 started out the biggest and baddest plant, and now she's the runt. it'll change, trust me. the leaves are your sure sign.

that is the general outline for determining which is which. check out my grow journal, and you'll see my 4 plants. number 1 started out the biggest and baddest plant, and now she's the runt. it'll change, trust me. the leaves are your sure sign.

I'm hoping they're both "she" but time will tell. Thank you for setting me straight on which is which.

no problem. now remember, although you can get lucky and have both be females, its a 50/50 chance. one is prolly male, and one is prolly female. although i've seen crazier things happen where someone plants 10 seeds and all are male. also one plants 10 seeds and all are female, without using feminized seeds. ya just never know when it comes to the cannabis plant. she's so tricky.

Back
Top Bottom