2 week old plant looks like it’s getting sick already can anyone help explain?

Kris123

420 Member
Hey guys so I have some plants running in my tent and they’re about to hit the 2 week mark and one of my plants looks sick already I’m watering lightly once or so everyday just keeping the topsoil moist I barley use any water I use a spray bottle tbh and then I have half bottles of water I’m using to hold in moisture levels since I have my humidifier out of town for a while could anyone tell me what’s wrong with my plant ajd how to fix it

image.jpg

Hey Kris123,

I’m going to take a stab at overwatered…. it’s a very common problem especially with new growers. Roots cant breathe in a constantly wet soil. Starting out it helps to fill same size container with exact same soil mix but do not add water. It’s called lift the pot method. (Some use digital kitchen scales too) but a container of dry soil should be light as a feather. Lift the pot of dry soil and use as a compariton weight to check against your container. The difference is the weight of the water. A tiny plant needs tiny water and it doesn’t all evaporate and the plant is not big enough to use up the water that you keep adding daily.

BlackPeter is spot on. Take a look at this link to better understand the info we need to help you. How to ask for grow support

These next 2 links by Emilya are some of the most important ones you will ever read about growing cannabis. Water - as in too much water kills a crap ton of plants.
Emilya Proper way to water a potted plant
How to water small seedling in large container

BTW’s welcome to 420…. more will stop by to welcome you or to add their opinions

So my dog knocked down my tent and I found mold in my dirt and roots from over watering in all of my plants it just hasn’t showed any effects on the other ones

ah crap that bites.

But before I go too far out on a limb here - the overwatering I think you are experiencing comes from not letting the soil dry out enough between watering sessions. Granted it’s a tiny seedling but that’s also a large container

Anyway add answers from the first paragraph of How to ask for grow support link above so the folks who visit later will have more info about your garden setup, soil mix, nutes, lights etc. We will get you tuned up

ah crap that bites.

But before I go too far out on a limb here - the overwatering I think you are experiencing comes from not letting the soil dry out enough between watering sessions. Granted it’s a tiny seedling but that’s also a large container

Anyway add answers from the first paragraph of How to ask for grow support link above so the folks who visit later will have more info about your garden setup, soil mix, nutes, lights etc. We will get you tuned up
I agree completely, you need a dry time and wet time for your plants your over watering when my seedlings are that small they only take water every 3-4 mabey 5 days at most in soil

Try planting your next seeds in styrofoam coffee cups with five holes poked in the bottom using a pen or pencil to do it. Have one styrofoam cup with just dry dirt. No plant in it and don't put any water into the dirt. Use this dry styrofoam cup to use as a "control" when your wondering if your plant needs water lift it up and feel it's weight, then lift up the dry "control" cup to weigh it against. If it's pretty close to the same weight it's time to water. Also I water the plant till all the dirt is wet to the bottom of the cup. Seedling roots grow suprisingly quick, then just let it set for a few days before doing the lift test again to see if it needs more water. When it does, water till all the dirt is saturated again. How quick the dirt drys out is a multifaceted thing. It depends on the temp of where your growing. The Humidity in the grow space. It also depend on if your using fans at this point, how strong the air current is and if the fan is oscilating or is just fixed in one position blowing non stop on your plants (which is ok if the fan is not blowing them over, but will dry out your dirt faster than if oscilating). It sucks to have this stuff happen but this is how we learn. If you want i can try to help you out on your grow, im on my fifth succesful grow and can probably help you avoid some of the pitfalls you will come across when you start off in this hobby. Also make sure your P.H. pen is calibrated correctly and your water is p.h.'d to about 6.5.

Try planting your next seeds in styrofoam coffee cups with five holes poked in the bottom using a pen or pencil to do it. Have one styrofoam cup with just dry dirt. No plant in it and don't put any water into the dirt. Use this dry styrofoam cup to use as a "control" when your wondering if your plant needs water lift it up and feel it's weight, then lift up the dry "control" cup to weigh it against. If it's pretty close to the same weight it's time to water. Also I water the plant till all the dirt is wet to the bottom of the cup. Seedling roots grow suprisingly quick, then just let it set for a few days before doing the lift test again to see if it needs more water. When it does, water till all the dirt is saturated again. How quick the dirt drys out is a multifaceted thing. It depends on the temp of where your growing. The Humidity in the grow space. It also depend on if your using fans at this point, how strong the air current is and if the fan is oscilating or is just fixed in one position blowing non stop on your plants (which is ok if the fan is not blowing them over, but will dry out your dirt faster than if oscilating). It sucks to have this stuff happen but this is how we learn. If you want i can try to help you out on your grow, im on my fifth succesful grow and can probably help you avoid some of the pitfalls you will come across when you start off in this hobby. Also make sure your P.H. pen is calibrated correctly and your water is p.h.'d to about 6.5.
Well said a "control" this is a great technique for beginners I wish some one would have told me that when I was starting out it would have made this easer

That’s great info from Fuzzy1981, we’ve all had to jump thru these same hoops. Part of the problem is you are dictating to the plant what it needs, plants move at plant speed which is slow - there is no way to make a plant grow faster.

Using lift the pot on a big container is pretty easy but the smaller the container the harder to determine water weight by lifting hence the kitchen scale mention. For photoperiods most here start in small containers and then do transplants but only after existing container gets totally root-bound, this helps build a bigger rootball, then come flower time bigger roots = bigger fruits.

Autoflowers can be transplanted but it can stunt the plant which trashes yields.

Are those photos, autos or bagseeds that you found?

That’s great info from Fuzzy1981, we’ve all had to jump thru these same hoops. Part of the problem is you are dictating to the plant what it needs, plants move at plant speed which is slow - there is no way to make a plant grow faster.

Using lift the pot on a big container is pretty easy but the smaller the container the harder to determine water weight by lifting hence the kitchen scale mention. For photoperiods most here start in small containers and then do transplants but only after existing container gets totally root-bound, this helps build a bigger rootball, then come flower time bigger roots = bigger fruits.

Autoflowers can be transplanted but it can stunt the plant which trashes yields.

Are those photos, autos or bagseeds that you found?
This is wrong. You need to transplant on a healthy grow around the two week mark. Once the second set of leaves get to the outside of the styrofoam cup it's time to up pot. Take a look at my first journal. When the roots hit the bottom of the cup the leaves start wilting. Letting your plant get root bound is a recipe for disaster. If they become root bound you will need to manually untangle the roots. Please look at my first grow journal to learn from my mistakes. I have pics for every single day of the grow. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Fuzzy1981's Fox Farm Ocean Forrest Northern Lights 2019

This is wrong. You need to transplant on a healthy grow around the two week mark. Once the second set of leaves get to the outside of the styrofoam cup it's time to up pot. Take a look at my first journal. When the roots hit the bottom of the cup the leaves start wilting. Letting your plant get root bound is a recipe for disaster. If they become root bound you will need to manually untangle the roots. Please look at my first grow journal to learn from my mistakes. I have pics for every single day of the grow. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Fuzzy1981's Fox Farm Ocean Forrest Northern Lights 2019
lol
manually untangle the roots? Please. I want to see a video of that.

The tap root hits the bottom on about the 2nd day. It is a fast little sucker. That is its first job, to "tap" the bottom and show the young living being where it is at in this world. The proper time to uppot is when the soil in your first cup has ceased to be a buffer against time for you, and you find that you need to water every day or every other day because the roots are able to drain every bit of water you can get that soil to hold, in that short time. The roots are not "bound" at this point, they are just at their point of diminishing returns and they need a larger space. Leaves getting to the outside of the cup have nothing to do with when to uppot either, I have had some large leafed indicas do this on the 3rd day.

It is all about the roots. Develop a proper rootball all the way through veg, and your plant will reward you in the end.

lol
manually untangle the roots? Please. I want to see a video of that.

The tap root hits the bottom on about the 2nd day. It is a fast little sucker. That is its first job, to "tap" the bottom and show the young living being where it is at in this world. The proper time to uppot is when the soil in your first cup has ceased to be a buffer against time for you, and you find that you need to water every day or every other day because the roots are able to drain every bit of water you can get that soil to hold, in that short time. The roots are not "bound" at this point, they are just at their point of diminishing returns and they need a larger space. Leaves getting to the outside of the cup have nothing to do with when to uppot either, I have had some large leafed indicas do this on the 3rd day.

It is all about the roots. Develop a proper rootball all the way through veg, and your plant will reward you in the end.
Listen to whomever you want, i have done this enough times to know when it's time to up pot. and have it documented in my grow journal what happens when you leave it go to long.

Back
Top Bottom