Fuzzy1981's Fox Farm Ocean Forrest Northern Lights 2019

I water very slowly. My goal is to get the soil to wick the liquid up. I pour a little bit, let it soak into the soil, pour a little more, and repeat. I do this until water just starts to trickle a bit out the bottom. Sometimes Soil can compact, and water will just flow through the easiest route. I don’t think this is an issue for you yet as you just transplanted but good to keep in mind. I use an old kitchen fork to till my surface soil. It helps break apart compacted material. If you’re using plastic pots, the soil will also eventually pull away from the sides as the roots and water do it’s thing. When that happens I use my fingers to break up the soil along the edges and make sure my water doesn’t just run down the sides of the pot.

I water very slowly. My goal is to get the soil to wick the liquid up. I pour a little bit, let it soak into the soil, pour a little more, and repeat. I do this until water just starts to trickle a bit out the bottom. Sometimes Soil can compact, and water will just flow through the easiest route. I don’t think this is an issue for you yet as you just transplanted but good to keep in mind. I use an old kitchen fork to till my surface soil. It helps break apart compacted material. If you’re using plastic pots, the soil will also eventually pull away from the sides as the roots and water do it’s thing. When that happens I use my fingers to break up the soil along the edges and make sure my water doesn’t just run down the sides of the pot.
actually im not sure they are called smart pots, i think i may have called them by the wrong name. they are the fabric ones. that is a good idea to till the top layer of dirt cause it doesn't seem to be absorbing well. it did the same thing the first time i watered my styrofoam cup. so im going to try that and add a little more water. you seem to know fox farm o.f. soil well. is adding some super thrive to the water and worm castings ok to do even though its in new soil. i know you said you don't have to fertalize for the first 4 to 6 weeks after transplant, but from what it sounds like this is ok to use in new soil? if not im fine with not adding it. im still new to this and asking questions because i don't know. and don't worry im not one of those people who will get all upset or defensive if you say that what im about to do is wrong. honestly i don't know weather its wrong or right, thats why i ask. thanks for the help!

ok these are the roots.
DSC07122.JPG
they seem to look ok to me, but honestly what the hell do i know :) what do you guys think?

Should do much better in the big pot. The leaves were showing an issue with the roots. They lower leaves cupping over and being twisted is a good sign they need more space.

actually im not sure they are called smart pots, i think i may have called them by the wrong name. they are the fabric ones. that is a good idea to till the top layer of dirt cause it doesn't seem to be absorbing well. it did the same thing the first time i watered my styrofoam cup. so im going to try that and add a little more water. you seem to know fox farm o.f. soil well. is adding some super thrive to the water and worm castings ok to do even though its in new soil. i know you said you don't have to fertalize for the first 4 to 6 weeks after transplant, but from what it sounds like this is ok to use in new soil? if not im fine with not adding it. im still new to this and asking questions because i don't know. and don't worry im not one of those people who will get all upset or defensive if you say that what im about to do is wrong. honestly i don't know weather its wrong or right, thats why i ask. thanks for the help!

Yes, the fabric pots are great and I use them too, but if the surface soil is too compact it will just leak out the sides. I wouldn’t add the worm casings because FF is already loaded with em. It would just be spending resources when you don’t need to. Super Thrive is a great product, but It’s just a micro nutrient and vitamin if I remember right. Feeding this early is overkill in my opinion. I would wait a couple weeks, then start on an NPK regiment and dose micros periodically unless the need arrives sooner.

Yes, the fabric pots are great and I use them too, but if the surface soil is too compact it will just leak out the sides. I wouldn’t add the worm casings because FF is already loaded with em. It would just be spending resources when you don’t need to. Super Thrive is a great product, but It’s just a micro nutrient and vitamin if I remember right. Feeding this early is overkill in my opinion. I would wait a couple weeks, then start on an NPK regiment and dose micros periodically unless the need arrives sooner.
im tilling the soil with a fork like you told me. it is working really well. i pulled up a ton of dry dirt on the fork, and when i put in about a cup and a half of water none of it leaked out of the pot. i'll keep doing this slowly, about once a half hour till 1 p.m. or three more times. i should have probably asked this earlier but i put in essential plus 1-0-1 at half strength 15 cc when it called for thirty is this o.k.?

im tilling the soil with a fork like you told me. it is working really well. i pulled up a ton of dry dirt on the fork, and when i put in about a cup and a half of water none of it leaked out of the pot. i'll keep doing this slowly, about once a half hour till 1 p.m. or three more times. i should have probably asked this earlier but i put in essential plus 1-0-1 at half strength 15 cc when it called for thirty is this o.k.?
im still watering so i can stop and use clean water if it's going to be no good in this soil.

That will be a good gage for you to see how well you’ve done. I prefer the lift method. You pot should be much heavier and a lot easier to tell going from cups to 3 gallon. Do both, as they both serve a purpose and will help you get a feel for the process.

Also, here’s a really good read.
The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant

That will be a good gage for you to see how well you’ve done. I prefer the lift method. You pot should be much heavier and a lot easier to tell going from cups to 3 gallon. Do both, as they both serve a purpose and will help you get a feel for the process.

Also, here’s a really good read.
The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant

Watering, is actually very common to screw up. Our natural tendency to coddle our babies, maybe?
yeah i think so :) i also ordered 3 in 1 Soil Water Moisture Humidity Meter Garden Plant Sunlight PH Gauge Tester. it should be here in a week or so, accidentally ordered it direct from china but it's flight landed in the u.s. today. so between that you and pennywise i should be able to keep from over watering. i'll post pics and ask if it looks like a good time to water, plus measure how much i give, and record the date and time. i also ordered The Cannabis Grow Bible: The Definitive Guide to Growing Marijuana for Recreation. so hopefully i'll have some of my questions answered there, and not have to bother you guys so much.

my nothern light is looking really damn good compared to 24 hours ago. i'll take a couple pics and post it in a bit. im really suprised at the improvement in such a short period of time. i just transplanted the critical mass cbd and put myco in the soil and on the roots after i misted them. now im in the process of tilling the soil and watering. that takes a really long time to get it to absorb properly. i was up till two in the afternoon till i finally got the northern lights filled up on water. and i had to get up for work at seven, lol it was a long night but i made it through.

Back
Top Bottom