It’s getting progressively worse

Hreed420

This was my original post, but nobody replied... I need some help!! Will post updated photos

Aloha guys!

First time ever posting on one of these sites. I just got my medical card though, so I’m feeling confident.
I’m in Hawaii, so keep that in mind. Hot hot hot.
Anyways, I’ve had a few successful indoor grows. Nothing professional, but I understand the basic ends and outs, and do a ton of research.
I can’t find anything to help with my issue.
This is also my first time growing with the sun and led lights. I use the sun as supplement through the day.

I have 7 total plants all from seed. 5 were planted, then 2 weeks later the other 2 were planted. 4 out the original 5 are flowering since the 11th.
The other 3 are still in veg, but two aren’t doing so well.
They are all in 5 gallon smart pots.
The 2 in question are gorilla glue and fire og.
It started about 3 days ago, prior to that they looked perfect.
It almost looks overwatered to me, but the pot was light, so I water my usual amount with nutes. (General hydro series) Which was about 1/4 gal. I water less but more frequent do to the weather here. Water with nutes every other watering unless I see toxicity or deficiencies.
These 2 are going through stages of looking slightly better, to just horrible all over again.

Can anybody help me out?
I know I’m missing details, but if the questions are asked I can provide any information.
Just really want to figure these out. All the other plants look perfect, and healthy. I wall attach those photos in a separate post in this thread.
4fd2a35f-bb20-48b0-a446-f7e6037cdccf-jpeg.1703285

5852cc13-6acf-4cee-b4bc-dc7c83b92b13-jpeg.1703287

3947c1b8-c42c-4486-a336-9db41ed7d3c2-jpeg.1703288

Hawaii or not. In a 5 gallon pot 1/4 gallon of water won't cut it. Your issues are root issues. Bottom roots cannot be healthy with that water schedule. 1/4 gallon or 1 quart will never reach the bottom roots. They dry out, when they dry out with synthetic nutes guess what happens....The root hydrosphere area gets salty and kills anything in range. If organic it would drive out and kill micro organisms, in synthetic grows where there are no micro's it still locks out nutrients and slowly kills the roots.
In a 5 gallon pot yu should be watering/feeding no less than 1.25 gallons or until you start to see some runoff. Hot weather is all the more reason to water thoroughly than small amounts every day.
If your main worry is that the top half gets dry before the bottom half then water like this....
Thoroughly water/ feed one day and then a day or 2 or 3 days later when it seems the top half (HALF OR MORE) is dry but the bottom still has some weight to it then water with a pint or 2 of water just to keep the top half moist until the bottom dries up more. Then thoroughly water again the next time.

Okay I assumed this was the issue.

I just switched from 3 gallon smart pots to 5 and never really adjusted watering. By switching, I mean I used to flower/finish in 3 gallon pot not 5. But this was years ago.
When I water, ALOT runs out, every time. I was thinking of either watering slower, or put them inside of a plastic container while water and let them sit a minute to soak it up.

The past two days, I’ve put half a gallon into each pot each day. They never really reacted.

How much do you think I should water? They sit outside half the day in mostly full sun, and then back in for 4-5 hours before darkness. A lot of wind here, sometimes.. it’s hard to gauge the weather here in Kona, it’s extremely hot, windy, cloudy. It’s weird.. but I appreciate the help.

Well, whenever I grow in my 5 gallon air pots it takes 1.25 to 1.5 gallons every time I water. When I water, the pot feels totally dry (as it should) when you water cannabis. Wateriing every day kills roots all on it's own because they then starve for oxygen too. Here is a link to what you really should read. This is gospel...
The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant

Meant to say runs out the sides, not always the bottom, but usually... most runs out the side.

Man, I feel like a rookie, FOR SURE.
Don't sweat it. With smart pots you will water slow and easy until the whole pot is very heavy and saturated. Then you let her grow until there is ABSOLUTELY NO water weight left in the pot. It will get so light that you cant believe there is even a plant in the pot. Then water again. This drives oxygen through the pot and keeps the roots healthy.

I just read that post you left a link to...

Holy shit. This is great.

Thank you so much... I will do this first thing in the AM before the sun comes up, and repost. I appreciate this a lot.
No problemo. Right now your roots are screaming at you so it will take some time to improve. Water correctly for a week or 2 and you and your plant will be happy with it. Let us know.

Because of some salt buildup that I am sure of, I would water even more this first time, I would slowly water until you get at least a quart or more to run out of the very bottom. Then I would mix 1 more gallon, yes, gallon at 1/2 strength and run that into the plant slowly. You will have a bunch of water runoff with that last gallon at 1/2 strength. The goal here is to first try to push out some dried up salts out of the plants soil with the first initial water until a quart or so of runoff and replace it with the last gallon with fresh 1/2 strength nutes. Then after that, stick to emilya's watering thread by waiting until your girl tells you she needs watered. After you do this first thorough water that she is not used to she may make her leafs sag a bit for a half a day or even a whole day. Don't be alarmed because she will be much happier very soon.

Also, keep in mind, root damage won't fix fast. She will take time to get healthy but she will! Just keep on track and don't "kill her with love" like many do. When she dries out and you are feeling bad because you think she needs water but her leafs are still standing, be ruthless, you must! It is all for her benefit. Make her wait until she starts to tell you she needs it. Her leafs will start to sag a bit and the pot will feel very empty. This is the time to give in.

Do you think they’re super struggling??
I transplanted from 2 gal smart pot on the 1st of January.
Switched light cycle on 1/13...
The problem is even when they were in their smaller pots they were probably getting fed and watered in adequately so salts build up in the soil and around the roots. Salt build-up like that takes time, when the plant starts telling you that there's an issue with the roots it will usually progress with time. She does not look too bad at the moment but I can tell you that when root issues start to show above ground you need to take action to stop the progression. I think you will do just fine if you can get things straightened around with the watering.

Thanks for all the advice, will implement new watering tomorrow.

Sucks because I wanted to flip these to flower this weekend.

I appreciate the help!
I would say you will still be able to flip them this weekend if you would like. If you flush them out and give them half strength food as mentioned and you do it tomorrow by Wednesday or Thursday she will be perked back up and even though any issues shown on the Leafs may not get better you will stop the progression of the root damage. By Friday or Saturday I would say you will probably be good to go to flip the lights.

Back
Top Bottom