2014 HeavyWeights Duke It Out for the Silver Coin

Re: 2014 HeavyWeights Duke it out for the Silver Coin with Rock Nutrients

Im here! Been ultra busy getting my POS back on the road, ran in the veg'n room to snap a quick pic for ya'll to see what my Purple Dreams are looking like these days, to me they look kinda creepy as I just topped them a second time and they hadn't hardly had enough time to bounce back from the first.
The entry is in the bigger nursery pot, its a #3 the smaller #1 cut is the Advanced Nutrients fed cut.
See all of ya'll soon
DSCN9562.JPG

Lookin like a tight contest there fellas!

Keep on updating us on what you guys are up to!

I agree that Capn should have had to put his Purple Dream cutting in a shipping box and toss the box against the wall once a day for 3 days just to make it interesting.

Nice enjoyable thread; :goodjob: :goodjob:

SLING Rock on Left; Advanced on Right
DSCN9562.JPG

CAPN Rock on Right; GH on left
FightForTheCoin_20140923_1100081.jpg

Glad to have you along. Bloat or no bloat. This would be a good journal to model. There's no reason you can't do the same thing if you follow the same recipe.

Here is what following the recipe can get you...
DSCN26804.JPG

Ok hijack done, carry on :thumb:

Outdoor cap'n style in a greenhouse can produce monsters, I plan on doing just that. Wouldn't need more than 4 of them lol

Grown right s1ing, 4 would take you like 3 weeks just to trim down the fan leaves!!

Hey, Capn, it's in the works, just gotta wait through the interlude.

Banter Fin!

I noticed you don't use the smaller air pots, is that because they lack some advantage in the smaller sizes?

Yes. Air-pruning roots on smaller plants will slow them down a bit. When they are small I don't like them to slow down. In the first post here you might see I started with some netpots... but that was only because I was out of small pots, and then I quickly transplanted them to regular pots.

Yea i guess they only make the small pots for plants and shrubs that do not grow very tall or wide.

the 20L ones i have are great!

Update from TheCapn:

We are approaching the end of the 4th week. We are in rapid growth now, and the plants are using a lot of water.

Here is what 7 days can do when you are in rapid growth stage:

7 days ago:
FightForTheCoin_20140923_1100081.jpg

Today: ~17" tall from media, ~18 wide
FightForTheCoin_20140930_111034.jpg

So lets talk about how we're getting this great growth right now. If you're following along in your own grow, now is the time to pay extra attention. Every thing you do, matters. You might not think it's a big deal to do this or that, but when you do all the right things, consistently, your plant will grow exponentially.

1. I have moved up to the next biggest pot size (#2). The previous pot size only lasted 10 days. I was watering an entire pitcher into the #1 pot, (with tons of run off) and by the next day the pots were VERY light in weight. When that happens, you know it's time to move up. More media, holds more water. Don't cram your roots, or your plant will slow down. However, your pot SHOULD feel noticeably lighter after 24 hours.

Important: If your pot still weighs a ton after 24 hours, your pot is too big. NO, you're not watering too much (I see this mistake way too often). I see people use a giant pot, on a little plant, and then they water it a LITTLE bit. This is so WRONG! This is how salt builds up, PH swings, and roots can drown. I don't care if you're in dirt, coco, rockwool, whatever: You will get the maximum growth rate when you flood the roots with nutrients (with generous run off), then let the plant go until the medium is slightly dry (pot is noticeably lighter). The more often you can do this, the better. That's why Capn Style growing, or rock wool in general, works so well. We can flood them often and generously. By flooding them, we wash out any salt build ups, ph stays more stable inside the root zone.

2. Last week I said, "Top early and often". Depending on your strain, you may have plenty of tributaries at this point, and topping too much may slow it down and produce too BUSHY of a plant. Compare your plant with the pictures I've posted here; your plant should look the same. If it's too tall with too few branches, go ahead and top in a couple places. If it is nice and bushy, let it go. I haven't topped this in over a week. Get that branching started early to lay down the foundation, then let it go for awhile.

3. Lighting: T5 lighting is fine for all of veg, but as you can see, my little 2ft, 4 bulb fixture is not enough any more. If you're going big, go big. Get more light. I've already moved these under a 600W Metal halide since I took this picture. If you don't have enough light, your plant will be lanky (skinny with few branches and a long distance between them).

4. Pruning: It's time to take off a few tiny suckers near the bottom, that we know will never produce. This is one of the more difficult tasks, and I'll try to go over this more next week. Don't take off any fan leaves! It will stunt growth, and prevent lower branches from stretching up to reach the canopy. The more tops we have, the more bud we will enjoy.

This is a game of VEG right now. We have a month to go before flower. The bigger we can get this plant in veg, the more we will yield. Any stoner can grow plants by watering them, and giving them light and air movement. But if you want to hang with the heavyweights, take a second look at your veg game. If TheCapn or sling came to visit your veg room right now, what would he say?

And don't give me this BS about "Oh, I'm just a hobbyist, and it's only for personal, so I don't really care if I get the maximum yield." Put down the giant vapor bag, get in your veg room, and do what you need to do, you stoner! And yes, if you spent $300 on a vaporizer, you MIGHT be a stoner :rofl:

Related questions are welcome here. Please post unrelated stuff to my Q&A, so we can keep this journal lean: Open Q&A - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

20140930_110816.jpg

Yea it always amazes me the growth I get in these cubes when it really dialed in. My current problem is my plants in veg are getting too big too soon. I still have 30+ days till room in a flower tent. SO i gave them a big time haircut, they about as big as 2nd pic of yours, cut them back to be smaller then in first pic. they should get REAL bushy now though. Side note, one of reasons i not use airpots in early stages is MUCH easier to transplant from a normal pot.

>>>My current problem is my plants in veg are getting too big too soon.

Sounds rough man. Maybe you should transplant into dirt.

>>>SO i gave them a big time haircut, they about as big as 2nd pic of yours, cut them back to be smaller then in first pic. they should get REAL bushy now though.

And produce a huge yield. Keep styling their hair.

>>>one of reasons i not use airpots in early stages is MUCH easier to transplant from a normal pot.

+1. In addition, pruning roots stunts growth slightly. I've tried it many times.

Back
Top Bottom