2014 HeavyWeights Duke It Out for the Silver Coin

Re: 2014 HeavyWeights Duke it out for the Silver Coin with Rock Nutrients

Hi gang, I hope you all are enjoying the fight. Hiker, thanks for stopping in, and I'll comment on your post shortly.

I upgraded to the #3 pot yesterday.

20141015_095724-1.jpg

Here it is in the new #3 pot. I didn't take a measurement, but to get an idea, that tray is 36", inside dimension. Two weeks ago I tied down the outer branches and it looked a little scarce in the middle. Now, that has all filled in. A week later I took off several tops, and it has bushed up nicely now. Since we have about 2 weeks to go before flower, I'll top again in a few days, and then I won't take off any more.

20141016_081240.jpg

There has been some talk about feeding, so I'd like to talk about this is more detail. This deserves a blog post but for now I'll talk here.

A few pages ago, I wrote this about pot sizing:

"I was watering an entire pitcher into the #1 pot, (with tons of run off) and by the next day the pots were VERY light in weight. When that happens, you know it's time to move up. More media, holds more water. Don't cram your roots, or your plant will slow down. However, your pot SHOULD feel noticeably lighter after 24 hours."

Important: If your pot still weighs a ton after 24 hours, your pot is too big. NO, you're not watering too much (I see this mistake way too often). I see people use a giant pot, on a little plant, and then they water it a LITTLE bit. This is so WRONG! This is how salt builds up, PH swings, and roots can drown. I don't care if you're in dirt, coco, rockwool, whatever: You will get the maximum growth rate when you flood the roots with nutrients (with generous run off), then let the plant go until the medium is slightly dry (pot is noticeably lighter). The more often you can do this, the better. That's why Capn Style growing, or rock wool in general, works so well. We can flood them often and generously. By flooding them, we wash out any salt build ups, ph stays more stable inside the root zone.

I've been having some conversations with Sling and Greenthumb. I want to reiterate the importance of pot size and feeding.

If your pot is NOT noticeably lighter after 24 hours, your pot is too big.

Over the last 6 months I have been focusing on my veg game. The bigger, bushy-er and stronger you can get your plant in veg, the bigger harvest you will have in the end. Here are the things I've been doing:

1. In veg, I hand water to waste, daily. I use a one quart pitcher, scoop up nutrients from a 5 gal bucket, and pour it on. I keep pouring until a see generous run off. If you're not allowing generous run off, then you're not watering enough. Remember, in rockwool, it is nearly impossible to water too much at one time (it is possible to water too frequently). I use my run off water for my outdoor banana trees, my grass, my house plants, whatever. If you don't want to waste so much, you can recirculate (even better) just be sure to monitor PH and PPM in your reservoir daily.

Don't make the mistake of having a plant in a pot that is too big for it, and then skimping on the watering because your pot is too heavy. If you want white roots like you see above, this advice should not be overlooked.

Try this experiment. Take a pitcher of your nutrient water and sit it in the corner for a week. Then smell it. It's funky, especially if you're using florablend or licious. Then pour out the water and notice of film on the bottom. Now, imagine that water sitting in your roots for days at a time. That's what happens if your pot size it too big. When we use lots of water and allow lots of run off, we keep flushing out anything funky, we keep the PH and PPM constant in the root zone. This makes big plants!

2. Lighting: A week ago, I moved my plant out of my regular veg closet where I had it under 600W MH. Now it is only under T5 lighting in my tent. It is using considerably less water and growing slower.

Two weeks until flower!

Hiker, thanks for stopping in, and I'll comment on your post shortly.

Nice looking roots :thumb:

No need for a reply. Carry on as you were. :Namaste:

>>>Excuse me, can you please move all those damn plants so I can see your room!

This video should help. Flower Room, Grow method, and equipment used. But if you're a gadget freak, you will be disappointed. I keep my stuff as simple as possible. Less to go wrong = less chance of disaster.

How to grow Capn Style:

[video=youtube;sRX-BRljJME]
[/video]

>>>I gotta give you props for your journal style. It's like you're trying to create some sort of instructional material.

Thanks Hiker. When I do a journal I want to give people a reason to come back (to learn stuff) and they can follow along in their own grows if they wish.

Can't wait to see your new set up. Please PM me when you put up a thread.

In the interest of competition, how much will you divert from your usual methods guys, what will you incorporate that you have learned?

DRM Ranch

Fantastic video Capn! Question, I noticed your halo raning down on the lowest branch of the first plant you showed, will this cause any problems?

Very nice Capn!!!! This video brings your information to a whole new level. Since your style is the best style out there (in my opinion) I have another question: Would you be willing and or able to document by video the Capn style from start to finish? Your blogs are the best information a grower can have but a step above that would be video of your style. There is a great amount of people joining this site to learn how to grow and why not show them the right way (by video).

I'm probably going to get my a$$ in trouble for getting this far off topic but, it would be worth it.

Hey 60..

Check out his thread on Strain hunting. Where he firsts started growing the Serious Bubblegum. He documents that grow from start to finish pretty much in the thread.

Hey 60..

Check out his thread on Strain hunting. Where he firsts started growing the Serious Bubblegum. He documents that grow from start to finish pretty much in the thread.

Thanks Greenthumb J, I've read every journal and blog the man has written and probably some things I'm not suppose to read. I'm just being gready with the Capn's ability to teach rookies on paper and video.

I need to get my roots white like that, had a few close to that, not as great as of late.

In the interest of competition, how much will you divert from your usual methods guys, what will you incorporate that you have learned?

DRM Ranch

I'm not doing anything I don't normally do... I'm just paying closer attention on this round :)

The only thing I'm doing differently is using Rock Nutrients.

Fantastic video Capn! Question, I noticed your halo raning down on the lowest branch of the first plant you showed, will this cause any problems?

I put it up there for demonstration purposes. It's not a best practice for the stem to get wet like that. Although it happens in nature.

Very nice Capn!!!! This video brings your information to a whole new level. Since your style is the best style out there (in my opinion) I have another question: Would you be willing and or able to document by video the Capn style from start to finish? Your blogs are the best information a grower can have but a step above that would be video of your style. There is a great amount of people joining this site to learn how to grow and why not show them the right way (by video).

I'm probably going to get my a$$ in trouble for getting this far off topic but, it would be worth it.

Thanks cal. I've thought about it. There is so much to say. It's difficult to speak (off the top of your head) on camera. When I watch this video, I think about all the things I wish I would have said. But you're right. It would be awesome to have a series of videos from start to finish. My blogs are kind of all over the place... not in any particular order. Would be nice to have a step by step.

Thanks Hiker. When I do a journal I want to give people a reason to come back (to learn stuff) and they can follow along in their own grows if they wish.

Can't wait to see your new set up. Please PM me when you put up a thread.

I'll post the link once it's up. :thumb:

Hey Cap. Your pounder journal got me started on 420 (& your help w/ my germination). I still try to emulate your plants. I still use coco, but your low stress techs along with net have helped me more than anything I've seen yet. I'm preparing to automate after I decide on 2 more permanent strains. I'll be using 1 rez for several plants, but same strain per rez.
Thanks for sharing & pop over some time. I could use your eye for sure.
Good luck to both of y'all by the way. I'd be concentrating too to get that coin!

Hey Cap. Your pounder journal got me started on 420 (& your help w/ my germination). I still try to emulate your plants. I still use coco, but your low stress techs along with net have helped me more than anything I've seen yet. I'm preparing to automate after I decide on 2 more permanent strains. I'll be using 1 rez for several plants, but same strain per rez.
Thanks for sharing & pop over some time. I could use your eye for sure.
Good luck to both of y'all by the way. I'd be concentrating too to get that coin!

Glad to hear it and thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye on your journal, but for now it looks like you're doing it right. They look healthy and frosty. Maybe move that light a little closer.

>>>I'll be using 1 rez for several plants, but same strain per rez.

You've got a good amount of height in that tent. On your next round I would veg longer with fewer plants. Feel free to post questions in my Q&A. Open Q&A - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Back
Top Bottom