2014 HeavyWeights Duke It Out for the Silver Coin

Re: 2014 HeavyWeights Duke it out for the Silver Coin with Rock Nutrients

Hey capn, great information but, could you give the height and width now and every week? Thank you sir.

Hey s1ingblade same question to you sir.

Hey capn, great information but, could you give the height and width now and every week? Thank you sir.

Hey s1ingblade same question to you sir.

Today: ~17" tall from media, ~18 wide

It's not how long it is, it's the girth that counts. :rofl:

When I measure, I'm kind of taking an "average". If one leaf is sticking out 3" more than everything else, I don't count that.

Thats right!! not the size of the hammer, its who's swinging it!!

whats the estimated first day of 12/12. sorry if you've already posted this.

Today: ~17" tall from media, ~18 wide

It's not how long it is, it's the girth that counts. :rofl:

When I measure, I'm kind of taking an "average". If one leaf is sticking out 3" more than everything else, I don't count that.

Thank you capn, I'm wanting to know where the size will be at two months just before 12/12.

Please keep us updated on the size capn (of the plant) :cheesygrinsmiley:

Today, it is time to shape it up a bit and prune off the lower stuff, that we know will never produce any bud. This little stuff underneath soaks up a bit of energy from the tops. I only take a few fan leaves off the bottom. I am mostly aiming to take off tiny starting of branches.

Here's how:
Before:

A few of these are great for clones:

Here are some small suckers we can take off:

And sometimes we face a tough decision. Take the long skinny one off if you know it will never reach the canopy.

After:

Notice we didn't totally torture the plant. We only took off a handful of tiny branches that will never amount to anything.

I want to win the coin. So I have to go the extra mile here. To get the most yield from a single plant, I need many tops.

Here's how I start "training" my plant to get as many tops as I can.
Start low on the plant and check the branch. If it feels "woody" or very rigid, you won't be able to bend it without breaking it. So find a place where you can bend slightly without damaging the branch. I only make a slight bend and make the biggest arc I can with it. If you KINK the branch, you just supercropped it. This is considered HIGH stress, as it forces the plant to put energy into healing the wound. So don't kink it!

Then I can tie each branch down. I like to use twine and clothes pins or drill holes in the pot and tie it down.

And here we are finished with our "Low stress training".

Be careful! If you put too much outward pull on all the branches, it could split in the middle. You see how we have opened up the plant? Now, all the tiny branches, coming off the mains, will grow UP out of the middle. Why does this work? The tops of branches have an auxin hormone in them, that coaxes the plant to give energy, to the tallest tops to keep growing up. By bending these down we actually help to redistribute these auxins more evenly, and this results in many powerful tops (end result = tons of bud = silver coin).

Dear 60 cal. The plant is now 11" tall and 24" wide. :rofl:

Capn, when you open it up like that, do you tie the branches so they stay where you want them, or do you allow it to slowly stand back up?

I want to win the coin. So I have to go the extra mile here. To get the most yield from a single plant, I need many tops.

Here's how I start "training" my plant to get as many tops as I can.
Start low on the plant and check the branch. If it feels "woody" or very rigid, you won't be able to bend it without breaking it. So find a place where you can bend slightly without damaging the branch. I only make a slight bend and make the biggest arc I can with it.

Then I can tie each branch down. I like to use twine and clothes pins or drill holes in the pot and tie it down.

And here we are finished with our "Low stress training".

Be careful! If you put too much outward pull on all the branches, it could split in the middle. You see how we have opened up the plant? Now, all the tiny branches, coming off the mains, will grow UP out of the middle. Why does this work? The tops of branches have an auxin hormone in them, that coaxes the plant to give energy, to the tallest tops to keep growing up. By bending these down we actually help to redistribute these auxins more evenly, and this results in many powerful tops (end result = tons of bud = silver coin).

Dear 60 cal. The plant is now 11" tall and 24" wide. :rofl:

Great info +reps :) would you consider the bending to be supercropping?

Capn, when you open it up like that, do you tie the branches so they stay where you want them, or do you allow it to slowly stand back up?

When I'm not trying to win the a silver coin, I admit I sort of just bend them down and yeah they kind of pop back up. If you look closely, you can see the green twine holding down the branches on this one ;-)

Great info +reps :) would you consider the bending to be supercropping?

Good question, I just added this: "If you KINK the branch, you just supercropped it. This is considered HIGH stress, as it forces the plant to put energy into healing the wound."

Here is an example of accidental supercropping.

so the goal is not to supercrop , Your just creating a bend point.

thanks again :)

:goodjob:. Capn, in post 173 are you lightly squeezing the branch as you bend; a little crushing action to damage a little? Or are you just taking the largest arc and then tie it down?

No crushing. If the branch isn't flexible enough to bend it without crushing or hurting it, then move further out, away from the main stem, until you get to a part where it flexes easier.

I've seen others work the branch, to the point of crushing it slightly, and then there is a little kink (supercrop). What that does, is make the branch stay bent, so it won't pop up again. By tying it down, we don't have to disturb the plant and we don't put it into heal mode.

What you been up to, Shaft? Haven't seen you in awhile.

>>>Dear 60 cal. The plant is now 11" tall and 24" wide. :rofl:[/QUOTE]<<<

So let me get this right:

You bend your girl over, tie her down and now your looking at a 24" bush.:adore:

I'll give that a try tonight and let you know it went. :)

>>>Dear 60 cal. The plant is now 11" tall and 24" wide. :rofl:
<<<

So let me get this right:

You bend your girl over, tie her down and now your looking at a 24" bush.:adore:

I'll give that a try tonight and let you know it went. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm tellin ya... it's looking sexy, especially since my girl has been out of town for two weeks! But I prefer my girl be "defoliated" :rofl:

LMAO, you are the master.

60cal, you're crackin' me up. Capn I'm waiting for my current grow to finish. Got them in darkness right now, Friday morning I chop! Don't know if this helps any but thought I would give it a try. 1 Bubblegum in dirt, Chocolope Kush coco hempy bucket. 9 weeks of flower.

I just used your method to germ more seeds. Worked pretty good, got little leaves today. Black Jack, Jack Herer, and White Widow 1 each. 5 gallons of tea brewing so I can give some to my lemon tree that people say won't grow in the desert. Ha! I'll show 'em, lol.

Gonna try to do this Capn Style! Temps coming down so I don't have to worry about that. Thinking about a three month veg, but that depends on how the grow is going. Yeah, I want three monsters, lol. I have the room, 1 area 51 white led, 1 hydro hut 260x, and 1 192x3 top led. Been wanting to compare the three for awhile now. Need more grow cubes, but have everything else. Need to construct my three scrogs from all of my free materials that I gathered walking my dogs in the desert.

Don't know if I will be able to journal them, that all depends on how much travel for work. Big plans, but we all know how things can change.

Back
Top Bottom