2014 HeavyWeights Duke It Out for the Silver Coin

Re: 2014 HeavyWeights Duke it out for the Silver Coin with Rock Nutrients

>>>When making a decision about what nutrients you should buy, my suggestion remains the same. Find someone who's grow you respect. Get in touch with that person and see if they will help you. If so, go with those same nutrients they are using. That way, you can get help when you need it.[/QUOTE]<<<

This is why I'm going with GH, I just happen to know a great grower that I respect :adore: and I just happen to have his receipt from seedling to flower. Thanks Capn. :cheesygrinsmiley:

>>> Do purple petioles only indicate Magnesium deficiency? I was under the impression that could indicate a couple things.
From what I've read, and I could be way off, the stems indicate magnesium deficiency and the curled up leaves a phosphorus deficiency.

It really depends on what stage of growth the plant is in, but you're right, plants with a Phosphorous deficiency can look like the petioles are purple, but if you look closely they will be a bit more a reddish colour.

You will be able to tell the difference between the two. Since the plant doesn't need as much Phosphorous during vegetative growth, its safe to say, that s1ing IS experiencing the beginning of a Magnesium deficiency.

If he was in flower, i would be asking him how much Phosphorous is going into his nutrient mix.

>>> I do hope s1ing finds a fix for what is not particularly a pleasant situation.

I do too, but once you've identified the problem, deficiencies are usually pretty easy to fix if you catch them right away.

Even with that, the cause of the deficiency needs to be known to correct the problem. If the deficiency is due to lockout and not a lack of magnesium, adding magnesium wouldn't help.

This is where I think being able to chat with the nutrient vendor would be valuable.

At the very least knowing the precise nutrient values of the product you are using so that you could make a reasonable and educated assessment based on both what you have been providing the plant and what you see as symptoms. Knowing your water quality would be a huge factor as well.

If I recall from the original post any calmag product was OK for use. I don't recall if s1ing is using well water or not, but as an accomplished grower I doubt there isn't magnesium provided in what would be reasonable quantities. This leads me to believe it isn't as simple as toss more mag at the plant. If by some fluke that's all it takes, great.

I found this in my research:
Mg can get locked-up by too much Ca, Cl or ammonium nitrogen. Don't overdo Mg or you'll lock up other nutrients.

The unknowns here are; new nutrient and new strain.

How does one eliminate magnesiun lockout as the cause, or verify if it is simply not enough magnesium in the first place?

DRM Ranch

Thankfully s1ingblade is an experienced seasoned grower and if his initial assessment of a "mild" deficiency holds true, he is more than competent to properly diagnose and treat it. The Purple Dream is in very good hands!

Hi Cap! Loving the journal so far. Loads of info to absorb! Was wondering if you know anywhere that can discreetly ship the croutons to the land of vegemite and koalas?

I don't. If you want to be discreet, go to your local store... if you have one.

Or have a friend that doesn't grow place the order.

Hi Cap! Loving the journal so far. Loads of info to absorb! Was wondering if you know anywhere that can discreetly ship the croutons to the land of vegemite and koalas?

check out a page called Duralite. They're an Australian based company that is a retailer of Grodan products. Give them a look!

Tried that. Unfortunately the dustributor doesn't stock them here. Might have to go direct with skybounds suggestion. ATM I'm running a top feed with 100% perlite. Getting decent results but nothing like Cap stylez! Really keen to try your system out! :)

check out a page called Duralite. They're an Australian based company that is a retailer of Grodan products. Give them a look!
Ooooo thanks. Will give them a lookie! :)

Edit: unfortunately they are wholesalers who do a very limited retail line which does not include grodan, or anything that could be used for mj cultivation by the looks of it.

>>> What do you do to get to 300?

Add less nutrients into your water.. Clearly you are adding too much of something to get your PPMs so off.

What kind of nutrients brand are you using?

>>> I just noticed the guy in the Rock nutes video is Mr Greenthumb

Also known as B. Real from Cypress Hill.. Very influential guy who ACTUALLY knows a thing or two about cannabis. Yes he created a couple different strains actually. Their band supposedly has a guy in it whos an actual breeder, or at least he's heavily affiliated with Cypress Hill (supposedly like i said!)

>>> maybe mild Mag. def , looks like the leaf ridges are raised some in the pics

Definitely the beginning stages of Mag deficiency. You can see the petioles starting to purple up.. Check the underside of them and of they are developing a purple tint, you got a Mag def.

Defintely Bloat away Capn.. you always have so much going on, and always just tease us with a little snippet here and there!

I honestly think B Real is a better performer and interviewer than a grower but heck that's just my opinion, wtf do I know, I do know I've enjoy the heck out of his music for along time
If you can find a member here named alchemist (prob spelled wrong) pm him he might have an idea, you could always be our guenia pig and try the sure to grow "Hail" cubes, nice to meet ya johnnyblaze

Edit: unfortunately they are wholesalers who do a very limited retail line which does not include grodan, or anything that could be used for mj cultivation by the looks of it.
Heck if nothing else maybe theres room for you to be the new hydro reseller down under that carries them :) whats that saying when theres something in need theres? I don't know but I bet you get my drift

Well if Im right or wrong the additive I gave them should cover both lmao.
I hope all ya'll are having as good of an evening as I am, nothing like tweaking out your back and being laid up. Now if my damn pain management dr would allow me to burn some THC Id be just fine.
Ill send a pic Sunday of the girls and we'll all see how they look

If you go to Grodan Dot Com you can find 230 registered retailers of Grodan grow cubes in Austraila...

how are you having that hard of a time if theres 230 authorized Grodan retailers?

Could you give a specific city? if you want i can narrow it down for you...

OR.. type in grodan (dot) com and use the store locator and find that store nearest you, and get on some Capn-Style!!

Thanks for the suggestion, but CO2 Will get sucked out of my room faster than I can add it. Ask Shanker about CO2 gadgets. He is diligently testing these.

Dangit.... I had a nice post all typed and then the power went out.

Cap is right...

The Exhale Co2/EZ Co2 bags do not produce enough Co2 even to sustain a small garden in a 5'x6' room. I've had up to 4 fresh bags in the room and with exhaust fan off the heat rises up past 90*f before the Co2 ppm will rise above 600ppm. They seem to average out to around 500ppm over the course of a day.

The homebrew sugar/yeast methods work just as well as TNB Naturals (expensive Co2 product). The Co2 level will get to 1050ppm when these methods are fresh AND you are in the room hanging out right after shaking them. I havn't bothered to turn my exhaust fan off in increments yet with this method as I do not feel like they produce enough Co2 to bother. It seems to average around 600ppm over the course of a day. They are annoying to have to shake everyday, and they don't last very long.

I do think that since the Carbon filters are generally hung up so high that the heavy Co2 being produced by these methods should be getting a chance to buildup around the canopy before getting sucked out of the room. I just don't think they really produce enough Co2 to make a noticeable difference either way.

Investing proper system is probably the only way to achieve results. I'll do a proper blog post about it whenever I feel like I know what I'm talking about.

If you hang out in your room all day I'm sure the Co2 levels will stay around 800ppm. Do some pushups and situps in your room and it's a win/win. Or listen to some Queen and sing along....

If you really want the edge; Listen to Queen while working out. lol.. sorry.

:peace: REALLY interested to see how the end result of the heavyweight battle ends up... It looks like Cap has the wicked plants on the go, but it's also very interesting to see how the different nutrient companies compare.:peace:

Church-V98-2.JPG

CO2 is going to work in a sealed room, at that point you have created an environmental control nightmare. Humidity and temperature control then become larger factors to worry about.

I can't speak for everyone but the costs of electricity to keep these two factors in check alone comprise most of the cost of any grow.

While it would be nice to see if the cost to benefit ratio was tipped toward using CO2, I'm not sure it is something that will return on your investment as much as dialing in other factors first.

DRM Ranch

If you go to Grodan Dot Com you can find 230 registered retailers of Grodan grow cubes in Austraila...

how are you having that hard of a time if theres 230 authorized Grodan retailers?

Could you give a specific city? if you want i can narrow it down for you...

OR.. type in grodan (dot) com and use the store locator and find that store nearest you, and get on some Capn-Style!!

Unfortunately it is not the retailers that are causing the problem it's the distributor. All my local stores stock grodan products.. After asking them all to check if they can get the croutons I got the same reply "the dustributor doesn't stock them anymore due to lack of consumer purchases and he won't restock for a single customer" great customer service... This is why I hate national distributors.. I have similar issues trying to buy climbing shoes here... :/

Grodan DOES stock the grow cubes. Sounds like your retailer doesn't want to order a full skid of grow cubes boxes just for one customer.

Thats some shitty service.

Keep checking the local stores, and other store that maybe aren't local, but you can drive an hour or two to get to. Eventually you will find a hydro store that stocks the grow cubes, or a store that will order them in for you.

Also, keep hounding the stores you have already asked. Let them know that you aren't going to accept their lazy bullshit excuses until you hear YOURSELF from a Grodan Representative that the Grodan distribution facility isn't stocking grow cubes due to lack of consumer purchases (thats a whorish lie!!)

Guess they better stop making those grow cubes cause no one uses them right?

Grodan DOES stock the grow cubes. Sounds like your retailer doesn't want to order a full skid of grow cubes boxes just for one customer.

Thats some shitty service.

Keep checking the local stores, and other store that maybe aren't local, but you can drive an hour or two to get to. Eventually you will find a hydro store that stocks the grow cubes, or a store that will order them in for you.

Also, keep hounding the stores you have already asked. Let them know that you aren't going to accept their lazy bullshit excuses until you hear YOURSELF from a Grodan Representative that the Grodan distribution facility isn't stocking grow cubes due to lack of consumer purchases (thats a whorish lie!!)

Guess they better stop making those grow cubes cause no one uses them right?

I don't think you understand how distribution works over here. The distribution company is not grodan, they are a retailer who has snagged a national distribution contract with grodan. They, not grodan, dictate what is sold within the country based upon demand. You could get croutons (correct me if I'm wrong but afaik croutons are a different size and density to the grow cubes, at least this is how they were explained to me) about 5-10 years ago but not anymore as there is very little demand for it. My local store is extremely helpful, the guy even contacted grodan themselves but was told to contact the national dustributor. It's a rediculous way to run things but unfortunately that's how a lot of companies operate here.

Get a cheap meat slicer and make your own out of slab stone wool. When faced with adversity get creative I say.

Maybe put on a good particular mask while you cut so you don't have to breathe any of the dust though.

DRM Ranch

I don't think you understand how distribution works over here. The distribution company is not grodan, they are a retailer who has snagged a national distribution contract with grodan. They, not grodan, dictate what is sold within the country based upon demand. You could get croutons (correct me if I'm wrong but afaik croutons are a different size and density to the grow cubes, at least this is how they were explained to me) about 5-10 years ago but not anymore as there is very little demand for it. My local store is extremely helpful, the guy even contacted grodan themselves but was told to contact the national dustributor. It's a rediculous way to run things but unfortunately that's how a lot of companies operate here.

Grow Cubes = Croutons.. same thing

It just looks like you wont be supporting your local hydro stores then when purchasing Grodan grow cubes. You can find everything online. Just going to have to pay shipping and/or import fees!

Unless you wanna take DRM's advice and cut up a million pieces of stone wool to 1cm cubed pieces... but i think that would take you longer than it would take to have a box of grow cubes shipped to you.

not to mention a Royal PITA!!

Not to be a negative Nancy, but please keep the thread on topic and offer solutions via private message so not to over bloat this thread.

no kidding the cap'ns gonna start throwing asses overboard.hahahahaha

hey Cap'n I didn't see it,but are these plants getting the D/M liquid light spray?? if so at what frequency?

Back
Top Bottom