8 or 16 COBs LED enough for 8x4 tent?

Thanks for the information, then I will simply change to a 3500K/4000K then to have better results. I heard of those lights and I think if my budget allows me to I will definetely purchase those. I just have to search through the web, because ordering from most american websites charge about 50 bucks for shipping.
I still have two questions remaining. Is it better/possible to connect multiple drivers together so I just end up with one plug?
As I'm not living in america, I have a socket of 220V. Are those 220V going to be a problem when plugging one Driver in the Socket, as my socket (220V) contains double amount of volts than the american socket (with about 110V).

Thank you,

NoTilFarmer

I am pretty sure the switching power supplies accept 120 to 240 V AC. The plug may be your only concern. they may come with pigtails, and not even have a plug.

I am pretty sure the switching power supplies accept 120 to 240 V AC. The plug may be your only concern. they may come with pigtails, and not even have a plug.

The pigtails shouldn't be a problem, as there are enough adapters wich lead into a socket.
Been changing around my composition again due to the lack of lumen. I think I'm going to spend much more than I first intended to. Now I'm about 800€ for my LED setup wich consists of: 16 x CREE CXB3590 (3500 or 4000K) and with 4 X Meanwell Drivers 185H - C1050B.
This way im going to have about 160 000 lumen, 50W per COB and a total of 600 Wallwatts.
I'm pretty sure this setup would work with the 4x8 growbox.

or just use half the tent, at 4x4, and put some panda film ( White PVC plastic) to create a closed 4x4 area to still get reflection.

You could grow some shit in there for sure with 8 cobs. 2 plants, veg for 55 days, top top top, scrogg, tuck 2 weeks into flower, and boom, 1.5 lbs.

I have a question concerning your idea of seperating the 4x8 tent in VEG and BLOOM spaces. If doing so, are 2 extractor fans necessary? Because the PVC should create 2 light isolated areas so my fan would only be hitting one half of the tent? I guess if 2 extractor fans are necessary im going to need 2 of those red emitting lights as well for the nighttime that you suggested.

I'm going to calculate and think out loud to see wich option fits my most beneficial needs.

seperation method
-Pros: 50 Days Harvest schedule; huger canopy (due to 50 days Veg), Could purchase 8 x 7000 K COBs for VEG and 8 x 3000K COBs for BLOOM to boost plant growth
-Cons: grow surface area smaller, probably needing to purchase some components 2 times.

4x8 Surface Area
-Pros: some components only needed once (cheaper); grow area bigger
-Cons: Harvest every 70 days, smaller canopy (only 2 week VEG).

I think the seperation method would be the most optimal, but more time/price consuming to manifest. I think with eather method I'm going to reach about the same yield as in one option the canopy is more filled up but the surface area is smaller and the other options has less canopy but more surface area, i think this sums it up as almost equivalent. So for me, i think the 50 days harvest schedule is pretty attractive.

Hey NoTil,

You know, not sure what the far red would do during veg mode, ill have to askGrowMau about that. Something else I thought about, even tho u could use 2 separate half's, youd have to manually change the entire light rig back and forth every change.

See, In this situation, Id veg for 50 days, but under a scrog. So, when switch time comes, you cant really move the plant. So, youd have to think outside the box, on design ideas, to easily pull it off and not make a big deal and 2 hours job of it. Least stress, most funn, lol.

think we are opening a bigass can of worms on this build, lol.

but yeah, at the end of the day, i suppose you would need 2 everything.

Keep this in mind also, when you veg, u should be using 50% of the light you plan to use in Flower. So, if your vegging with 300watt, your flower rig should be 600W Usually double of veg for flower.

Hey NoTil,

You know, not sure what the far red would do during veg mode, ill have to askGrowMau about that. Something else I thought about, even tho u could use 2 separate half's, youd have to manually change the entire light rig back and forth every change.

See, In this situation, Id veg for 50 days, but under a scrog. So, when switch time comes, you cant really move the plant. So, youd have to think outside the box, on design ideas, to easily pull it off and not make a big deal and 2 hours job of it. Least stress, most funn, lol.

think we are opening a bigass can of worms on this build, lol.

but yeah, at the end of the day, i suppose you would need 2 everything.

Keep this in mind also, when you veg, u should be using 50% of the light you plan to use in Flower. So, if your vegging with 300watt, your flower rig should be 600W Usually double of veg for flower.

Thanks for helping me out. I'm just going to create 2 same assembly systems for the LED so when switching from VEG to BLOOM, I'll simply just switch the light systems.

Yes a scrog would definetely do the job in a 50 days VEG cycle. Don't you think 4 plants per 4x4 area would be better than 2? As I'm going to make my own clones I don't need to worry about the amount of plants I have and I think clones are going to start forming a canopy much earlier than seedlings.

Never heard of your statement with using half of the watts in VEG. I can't really paint out in my head why this is optimal. Is an exponential increase of watts when changing into BLOOM benefeting the growth of the buds more?
Should I use, as I'm going to purchase 16 x CREEs (operating with 4 Meanwells), 4 COBs for VEG and 12 COBs for Bloom? This way I would have 200W for VEG and 600 for BLOOM. I can't split the watts more precise based on your suggestion of doubling the watts in BLOOM. The only thing I could do is use 8 COBs per side and dimm down the light in vegging phase. But isn't dimming the light down a waste of capability when having anyways 400 W availible but only using half of them. Is it more beneficial to have the perfect ratio of Watts in VEG/BLOOM or is it better to try to use all wall watts availible?

A plant is a living thing. It can only take in sooooo many protons, then its "Tanks" are full, so the rest of the time, its just sitting there, getting doused in heat energy, intense light for hours on end. I think they like mid day rests, or shade periods during the day.

I suppose you could dim it. I will have to brain storm and research something about dimming and effect of it. I know dimming reduces wattage, but it also reduces photon production. You still want that, You still want brightness.

You know, You could probably invent some type of rack hook, so changing the lights wont be a major problem. last thing you want to do is drop it on the girls,..

I think a plant should have 2x2 for a great scrog. When you top and lst, those branches can get long horizontally very fast. But heck yeah, you probably could get 4 in there.

man, sounds like quite the setup , huh..

A plant is a living thing. It can only take in sooooo many protons, then its "Tanks" are full, so the rest of the time, its just sitting there, getting doused in heat energy, intense light for hours on end. I think they like mid day rests, or shade periods during the day.

I suppose you could dim it. I will have to brain storm and research something about dimming and effect of it. I know dimming reduces wattage, but it also reduces photon production. You still want that, You still want brightness.

You know, You could probably invent some type of rack hook, so changing the lights wont be a major problem. last thing you want to do is drop it on the girls,..

I think a plant should have 2x2 for a great scrog. When you top and lst, those branches can get long horizontally very fast. But heck yeah, you probably could get 4 in there.

man, sounds like quite the setup , huh..

I watched a video form the "Grow Boss" on Youtube explaining the Ratio of Watts in Veg and Bloom and about the Light rotations. Damn this man grows on a 3 light rotation.
I really am questioning on growing on a 2 light rotation, though I know it's better for the outcome there are so many things to consider.

If I go with 2 lights rotation is adjusting the surface area necessary when transitioning from VEG to BLOOM (because more Watts need more space)? I have never worked with PVC film, but I don't think it's easy to move a PVC around everymonth and thus isolating the light completely.
Are 250 Wall Watts (62,5W per COB) and 29 000 Lumen enough for vegging in about an 3x4 area?
If doing so I'd have the BLOOM section in the leftover area of 5x4 with 400 Wall Watts (40W per COB) and 54 680 Lumen.

This way I think I would follow the rule of having more Watt/Light in the flowering room. In addition to this it is cheaper and harvesting faster, than going with no Light rotations but 160 000 Lumen and 800 Wall Watts.

Damn so many things to calculate, but I really need to execute a proper grow.

Thanks for all the suggestions

is there a way to calculate, or measure, when plants have had enough photons? I would hate to keep adding more light, and plants are unable to use it. what are the symptoms of a plant having too much light?

is there a way to calculate, or measure, when plants have had enough photons? I would hate to keep adding more light, and plants are unable to use it. what are the symptoms of a plant having too much light?

I don't know exact numbers or equations to estimate photons. But I do know that they get burned when having too much light, then they get yellow-brownish spots on leaves and in my growing history they even sometimes twisted the tip of the leaves. Too much or too less light can also decrease the growth.

Back
Top Bottom