A quick question about temps

josh223

In a nutshell, when lights are on in a flowering room, the temperature is typically warmer than during the "night" photo period. At the moment the opposite is true for my set up. Yesterday it got down to 55 degrees during the "day" and up to 85 degrees at "night". Should this cause alarm? Am I risking creating a crop of hermies?

It may well suggest a problem if occuring over a prolonged period of time !

It may all depending on lighting set up via timer tho & your intake/extraction ventilation ?

Exactly correct. Lights come on at 7:30 P.M. I've just been running the exhaust 24/7. With the day time temps increasing, the fan is bringing in warm air during the day into the non-heated basement.

I suppose the obvious solution is to use a timer on the exhaust system. I'm just worried about smell during the day. My set up is not very sophisticated, so to speak. I have a spare analog timer I could use. I'm thinking my best bet would be getting a digital timer. That way I can have the exhaust come on for a few minutes during the day. The mail lady is here every day like clock work. The flowering tent is about 5 feet below the mail box. Just starting to get a little paranoid with gals in full bloom.

It sounds like you might be in a rather warm part of the world !

It may even be difficult to advise whats best for your conditions which you require to grow in ?

I may as go as far changing lighting timing to come on with day light hours in real life... possible invest in an air cooled reflector/hood & the use of Co2 possible via DIY Co2 if temps are adnormal during lights on to provide a better growing enviroment whilst suffering with high temps.

Might be possible to redirect AC/air conditioning via DIY into growing area to help lower temps ?

Tis a tad hard to say what is best tho, i may wait intill further replys to the question at hand to provide a broader suggestion of solution or ideas...

Yeah...I live in a high desert climate.

I did the light cycle at night for the cooler temps and cheaper electricity. I believe it is way too late to change that. I have around 25 plants with about a month to finish, 4 with about a month and a half, and 18 with about 2 months to go.

The hood is air cooled, 55 F last night with the lights on. At this second, with lights out, temp is 83 F.

The house I live in was built in the 1930's. No insulation. The plants are in the basement (dungeon). I'm only working part-time at the moment due to health issues. I really can't afford on of those portable air conditioners. There's a window mounted air conditioner in the living room, but no possible way to pipe down cool air.

I guess tonight I'll hook up the ventilation system on a timer and see how it goes with the temps tomorrow.

At the top of the stairs there's a door to our sun porch/laundry room. Right next to that there is an exterior door. The ventilation has to be pulling that warm air down stairs. It wouldn't hurt to do some weather stiripping. It's only getting hotter. I can't have this situation in August when it can get 130 degrees.

I sent some reps your way Fuzzy Duck. Thank you for the input.

Might be possible to use the intake fan from a source of air which is cooler in the house to help lower temps !

May mean ducting laying about or slight DIY stealth solution.

I'm still trying to think of a solution to this issue without having to buy another air conditioner. Luckily the temps have cooled down a bit.

I think I could put in a floor vent upstairs near the air conditioner and hook it u to ducting, possibly with an inline fan.

Fuzzy has great info there mate.. He has helped me heaps buddy!!
I had probs with temps also during summer with my indoor, with temps upto 42*C for most of the day and RH of 30%.. I worreied, But I just made sure I had plenty of fans circulating air and also acting as passive intake/exhaust.. Id spread my watering out too, So Id water maybe half her water in morn and then say 12hrs later another light water.. This ensured moisture and such to the roots, you dont want them soaking wet all the time but thats what I did to help my girl and she flowered and finished up fine. dont have the globe too close to tops of branches, and I usually always have a fan blowing directly across the globe and between the tops, But if you have a cooled hood then thats not a prob.
Hope some of this helps ease ur mind.. Some strains MAY respond worse to high temps?? Most are comfy about 28*C IMO.. But thats just me! All the best, Smokemup

I have an inline fan, sucking warm air through a carbon filter and through my reflector before it is removed from the tent and vented outside. Odor is no longer an issue.

The problem is not having a source for cool air intake. I currently just passively draw air into the tents with the air in the basement. The problem is that if it is 100 Fahrenheit outside, and the fans are going, it soon becomes 100 Fahrenheit inside the basement. The only "source" for cool air is the first floor. I don't own this house so I'm a little worried about doing permanent modifications.

Money is really tight. Even if I could afford a small air conditioner down there, I'd have to wire in a new circuit to the panel box.

A basement that gets 100 wow I never heard of that. It usually stays cool in mine. Even threw hot weather. Doesn't sound like much you can do in a situation like that this. I had built a hot box were I vented all the hot air into a 3x3 wooden box. So I would say maybe you can modify and reverse something like that for it to work in your favor. Do you have a deep freezer or a small fridge that would work perfectly

The basement stays cool during the day except when I have the ventilation going. It pulls the hot air into the room, then the tent, from the outside. The basement is in no way sealed. If I only run the fan at night, when the lights are on, it's not so bad.

Yesterday it was only in the mid-60's so inside the tent the high was 70F.

I also have a smaller ventilated veg/clone tent down there. It only has a handful of CFL's but get's just as hot as the flowering tent so I'm convinced I'm drawing in hot air from outside.

The landlord is going to be over at some time in the near future. After he is gone I'll put in a floor vent or two.

No CO2. I would if I could, but I really can't afford to invest any money at the moment.

I have 26 plants with another, maybe two weeks to go. They seem to be looking great. There is a 6" fan in there circulating air.

Picture_11210.jpg

Yeah, I may have to look into doing that in the future.

Thanks for the compliment regarding the 2L's. Those plants, A train, for some reason stayed in veg for a while after switching to 12/12. They are all around 4 feet tall instead of the typical 2 feet of other Hempy grows. Looking like they will push around 10grams dry/each.

Here's another shot of the flowering tent.

Picture_08118.jpg

Picture_07523.jpg

Nice it looks like you ran 12/12 from seedling. They will get you the same type of structure as your your plants and as well as possibly hitting the gram per watt.

College professor huh! I was the guy in the back of the class that always wondered what my professors did after school on there spare time. Mainly the women ones though. Some of them strike me as the type to do some interesting things. The women any way wink wink lol.

Back
Top Bottom