A Scrog Grow

cool im sure we will all be waiting with bowls for celebration....

Stix..a quick question about starting the grow: I'm under the assumption that the plants need to be topped so at what point are you topping them?

Gorillabuds said:
Stix..a quick question about starting the grow: I'm under the assumption that the plants need to be topped so at what point are you topping them?

I usually top around when the plant reaches 3-4 nodes high. Basically when the set of branches below the top which I'm about to cut off have established themselves well enough that I know good growth will progress after topping.

Topping is not necessary with scrog. I'm doing it because I have so many plants. If I were growing like 4-6 plants I could just stretch the taller plants into screen holes further away from the plant base. When your dealing with a larger number of plants I feel its easier to just top off the larger ones to give the smaller ones time to catch up. Plus I'll have more bud sites on the topped ones. I just probally won't have the monster colas.

Have you grown scrog before stix? I've seen 4 and 6 plant scrogs but never one as large as yours. how are you going to get to the containers in the center for maintainence? Any leave or bud not at or above the screen is going to die and needs to be removed or it can encourage fungal growth and stem rot. How are you reaching them. How are you able to train the branches on the center tubs as well? You must be either one tall person, stretch armstrong or a pygmy who crawls well.:cheesygrinsmiley:

lol, yeah. This definately isn't the "normal" Scrog grow. My screen is 12 inches above the pots, so, that helps a little as far as reaching the center pots. I do have about 18" between the screen and the back wall as well. It's a pain in the ass to maintain a scrog of this size. Last grow I scratched the shit outta my face against the sharp edges of the screen when I was kneeling down along the back wall. I have since pulled the pots farther away from the back wall.

I've had problems with my past regular grows due to my low ceiling height. That's why I'm trying different things to keep my canopy down. I've done LST with success, but It's a real pain in the ass to be constantly tieing down all those branches. I realize a Scrog this size isn't a "normal" situation. I've been searching different forums to try and find a scrog of this size without success. So, I figured I'd be the first to post a grow thread on a "Super Scrog". I don't plan on it being as pretty as some of those pics Akorn posted. I don't have the paitence for that. I just want the canopy to be even as possible and basically use the screen to support the branches for me. As far as the undergrowth. I really didnt pay much attention to it last grow and had no problems. I have REALLY good air flow throughout my grow room. I do however plan to cut every branch that doesnt make it to the screen this time around. I neglected that aspect last grow. The biggest hurdle for a scrog is figuring out when to turn the timer to 12/12 for the flower. I think I'm gonna start it when 50% of the plants reach the bottom of the screen. I'm planning on a huge stretch like I had last grow.

Yeah stix. You may not get the huge colas but each bud will be bigger. I'm running through my head how much maintenance just a 6 plant scrog would take, having to weave all those growth tips every other day or maybe even every day. You must've hired a mexican scrog attendant maybe? :laughtwo:

You don't actually weave a scrog. The branches never come out of one hole from under the screen and back through another hole like a weave would. The branches are trained to run along under the screen and you place the bud sites at holes. as the branches grow it sometimes becomes neccessary to reposition but you never actually weave. At least none of the scrogs I've seen or done were that way. There might be a new way of doing things so if I'm wrong I would love to be corrected. I would hate to put out false information.
Stix has more in for him than he can imagine.:cheesygrinsmiley: This isn't just a "Super Scrog". This is a "Monster Scrogt"! lol
Keep us informed Stix. I would love to see the reports as this one grows. And grow it will.

I have a Q. for ya Styx. How much area (sq. ft.) of screen do you have for each plant? How many plants total? I think your consept is good. I also think some of the pics Racefan posted in Akornpatches scrog thread where not were not techinally text book scrog grows because there is a lot of growth way above the screen, but the canopy was nice and even which I think is the biggest goal of any scrog grow. A nice even canopy. Keep us posted brother.

Ok..I'm following along now. You try to keep the foliar growth under the screen and just have the buds popping up through. Still though, keeping the branch tips pulled underneath is going to be quite a chore when those puppies start growing a few inches per day. Stix isn't gonna get much sleep with this one.

good luck to you... if you need help, will work 4 buds:-D

vintner said:
I have a Q. for ya Styx. How much area (sq. ft.) of screen do you have for each plant? How many plants total? I think your consept is good. I also think some of the pics Racefan posted in Akornpatches scrog thread where not were not techinally text book scrog grows because there is a lot of growth way above the screen, but the canopy was nice and even which I think is the biggest goal of any scrog grow. A nice even canopy. Keep us posted brother.

I have 24 pots with 2 plants in each pot. I've lost 1 plant and 2 others are runted. So basically I have 45 plants. My screen size is about 8' X 4.5' which is about 36 Square feet. Generally you want to have atleast 1 plant per square foot, so that leaves me about 9 plants to many which should be fine.

Stix why don't you bend the wire under the pipe so you don't get scratched?

Stix why don't you bend the wire under the pipe so you don't get scratched?

I originally did have the wire bent back. I kept the wire about 12 inches longer then the last pole incase I needed it to accomodate all the branches, which I did end up needing.:smokin: No problems, I just blamed it on the cat to whoever asked why my face was scratched the hell up.:cheesygrinsmiley:

I've decided to turn the light cycle to 12/12. Alot of the plants have reached the screen. Some are about 6 inches past already. Now the "work" begins. It's gonna take alot of care to keep up with these plants during the next 2-4 week growth spurt. It's gonna be a jungle, wish I had a gorilla taking care of it for me :grinjoint:

I'll let the branches grow about 10-12 inches past the screen before I pull them back through and move them to where I want. That's the plan anyway.

I'll set here in anticipation.

Back
Top Bottom