Afgoo - First Time Seed Grow

I'm shooting for at least a 50/50 on my trichs.. I would prefer like a 70/30, but I will be happy just to get through with an 80 percent return before my ladies get eaten by these fat green worms. I found one big one out there today.
You have to cut the infected area completely out or from what I hear it will spread. The worst thing about these worms is they seem to attack your biggest fatest buds. :( . The bastards can't attack the small buds that you don't care as much about...has to be the big Kahoona's.

Apparantly the way this all works is the white moths have sex during the time of the full moon then they are nocturnal and the bastards fly around at night when you are not watching and land on your buds.
They pick the fattest bastards and then they stick their asses down inside the bud and lay their eggs. Then the worms eat your buds from the inside out.
I noticed they even eat the branches that the bud is attached to. It's a good thing you don't get them over there.. Next year I think I will frame off an area with 2x4's and screen it in. This way it will at least keep the moths out and won't have to worry about them during the full moons.

Can you believe it though... 2 weeks before havest and this happens...
(shaking head).

Thats a good plan BudMan if I may say so! :)

I think Aston will still do fine with his harvest in terms of the medicinal effects His cloudy to amber ratio was pretty darned close to being spot on for harvest in my opinion, so I don't expect he will be disappointed at all! :)

Sorry to hear that you are still battling the darned worms! Man! I can only imagine how frustrating that must be to deal with! My only issue up here is Powery Mildew which as you know is native to the forest floor and impossible to erradicate up here in the Sierra. :confused:

Debudman said:
I'm shooting for at least a 50/50 on my trichs.. I would prefer like a 70/30, but I will be happy just to get through with an 80 percent return before my ladies get eaten by these fat green worms. I found one big one out there today.
You have to cut the infected area completely out or from what I hear it will spread. The worst thing about these worms is they seem to attack your biggest fatest buds. :( . The bastards can't attack the small buds that you don't care as much about...has to be the big Kahoona's.

Apparantly the way this all works is the white moths have sex during the time of the full moon then they are nocturnal and the bastards fly around at night when you are not watching and land on your buds.
They pick the fattest bastards and then they stick their asses down inside the bud and lay their eggs. Then the worms eat your buds from the inside out.
I noticed they even eat the branches that the bud is attached to. It's a good thing you don't get them over there.. Next year I think I will frame off an area with 2x4's and screen it in. This way it will at least keep the moths out and won't have to worry about them during the full moons.

Can you believe it though... 2 weeks before havest and this happens...
(shaking head).

Man! That really sucks! :(

I have a similar problem with my peppers from a species of fly that does the same thing to pepper pods. The adult fly chews a tiny hole in the top half of the pod and lays an egg inside the pod. The larva then proceeds to eat the immature seeds, but also causes the entire seed cluster to turn brown and rot. The pepper turns red faster than normal, shrivels up and dies. There is really nothing you can do to protect your plants from this. I loose on average about 1/4 of my crop to the bastards every year.

Commercial Jalapeño farms plant Cherry peppers on the perimeter of their crops to act as a firewall against the pests since they will go for the Cherries first and often spare the Jalapeño pods.

I think our overnight lows might be too low for your worm/moths to tolerate, although I have a lot more flowering Cannabis out there this season, so I can't rule out a problem between now and early October when all my outdoor plants should be ready for the chop. (knocking on wood as we speak!) ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Man! That really sucks! :(

I have a similar problem with my peppers from a species of fly that does the same thing to pepper pods. The adult fly chews a tiny hole in the top half of the pod and lays an egg inside the pod. The larva then proceeds to eat the immature seeds, but also causes the entire seed cluster to turn brown and rot. The pepper turns red faster than normal, shrivels up and dies. There is really nothing you can do to protect your plants from this. I loose on average about 1/4 of my crop to the bastards every year.

Commercial Jalapeño farms plant Cherry peppers on the perimeter of their crops to act as a firewall against the pests since they will go for the Cherries first and often spare the Jalapeño pods.

I think our overnight lows might be too low for your worm/moths to tolerate, although I have a lot more flowering Cannabis out there this season, so I can't rule out a problem between now and early October when all my outdoor plants should be ready for the chop. (knocking on wood as we speak!) ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Damn, I guess we have a big challenge no matter where we are.
It sucks when you put all the time and effort in and proudly taking pride of your creation everday and then all of a sudden out of nowhere these bastards fly in and wipe us out...

After all of this I have even encountered a rat that lives under my neighbors shed. He comes out every night and eats my tomatoes. I had tomato plants on each side of my weed to act as a firewall and help stealth my grow. Each night, he never fails to gobble up about 1/2 of tomato each night. Sometimes he will eat 2. I decided just to allocate that plant to the rat. I hope he appreciates it and doesn't decide to eat any more of my vegetable garden :laughtwo:

I did grow one pepper plant this year and it didn't do well at all. In fact I think it only produced one pepper. My cucumbers though produced some serious cucumbers this year. The last one I pulled was about 16 inches long and as big around as my arm. The only problem is, how many cucumbers can you eat. I am sick and tired of eating cucumbers... :) Want one :laughtwo:

I wish I had some overnight lows right now to drive those worms away.
I wonder what they would do if I sprayed a little tequilla on them to try to pickle their asses.. Nah, wouldn't want to waste good tequilla on them. I'll spray some pepper spray on them. I heard that does some wonders in taking care of mites and stuff. Some concoction like pepper, garlic, and a few other things.

So how many plants do you have out there this year Goose?

ok ok ok!!! sit down both of ya!!! LOL

I have now the harvest photos, but first a lil memorial to the late Afgoo 1 and 2!!! :rip:
4/23/11 - 9/13/11

SAM_07561.JPG

SAM_10321.JPG
SAM_10331.JPG

SAM_1101.JPG
SAM_11031.JPG
SAM_1299.JPG
SAM_13061.JPG
SAM_1333.JPG
SAM_1334.JPG
SAM_1340.JPG
SAM_1338.JPG

SAM_13821.JPG
SAM_13831.JPG
SAM_1435.JPG
SAM_1538.JPG
SAM_1735.JPG
SAM_1731.JPG
SAM_1892.JPG
SAM_1895.JPG

wow!!! that was a long 4 months!!! almost 5.... well without further a due!!!

AFGOO HARVEST
Pre clip
A2preclip.JPG
A2_preclip_1.JPG
SAM_2689.JPG
preclip.JPG

Root ball Afgoo 1
root12.JPG
root4.JPG
root31.JPG
root22.JPG

Root ball Afgoo 2
A2root2.JPG
A2root.JPG

Afgoo 1 clipped
proclip.JPG
proclip_1.JPG
proclip_2.JPG
proclip_3.JPG
proclip_4.JPG

Afgoo 2 clipped
A2_proclip_2.JPG
A2proclip1.JPG
A2proclip_3.JPG
A2proclip_4.JPG

Break Time!!!
breaktime.JPG
breaktime1.JPG
break_time.JPG

and the drying session!!!
This is Afgoo 2 hanging in the back, didn't even take up the whole 2 rows!!!
Afgoo2hanging2.JPG
Afgoo2_hanging1.JPG
Afgoo2_hanging.JPG

And All the Afgoos 1 and 2 together drying!!!
all_hanging.JPG
all_hanging1.JPG
all_hanging2.JPG
all_hanging3.JPG

well thats my harves!!! thanks for sitting through this all with me!!! some just joined, better late than never or even after harvest!!! LOL anyways, my brother helped me out on the clippings and he is the 1 that weighed them but I kept him so smoked out, that he forgot the numbers like 3 minutes after we started hanging them!!! LOL I remember him saying that Afgoo 1 totally outweighed Afgoo 2!!! and I think it was a little more over 100 grams difference!!! but remember wet weight!!! I think i remember him saying Afgoo 1 did 200 something and I think he said that Afgoo 1 did 350 or something like that, so all together, a rough estimate, 550 grams in wet weight!!! which, after the formula is applied, i get a dry weight of 127.5 grams!!! which is 4.9 oz's!!! HHHHEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also, with all the leaves, and trim, and clippings, and stems!!!! threw them into a huGE pot and boiled em!! threw some butter in them and HOLY SHIT!!! it is like emerald green butter!!! I had Lime green with the white widows butter, but this is OMG green!!! looked like motor oil when I got done boiling it!!! will post up pix of that once its done hardening!!!

well stay tuned for the finale!!!

:peacetwo:

Remember that clone I told you about that I clipped from my Purple OG Kush..
Here she is... Got put out very late, but she is growing nice and healthy.
The big difference is that she was put out in a container instead of next to all my other garden stuff that is exposed to all the bugs.

The little White Widow is behind her.. She is was put out just recently. It was a gift so I thought I would just put her out and see what I can get.

DSC011292.JPG

sorry to hear about the rain,
:R.I.P: to afgoo 1 &2,
looks like afgoo 1 & 2 have done you proud.....
:welldone:

Yea it happens!!! Thanks for stickin around!!! before I started trimming and clipping, I had taken some paper towels and dried the buds off as best as I could and then constructed the dry box, then got to trimming!!!

Great work Aston...
Your grow turned out awsome my friend :thumb:

Remember that clone I told you about that I clipped from my Purple OG Kush..
Here she is... Got put out very late, but she is growing nice and healthy.
The big difference is that she was put out in a container instead of next to all my other garden stuff that is exposed to all the bugs.

The little White Widow is behind her.. She is was put out just recently. It was a gift so I thought I would just put her out and see what I can get.

DSC011292.JPG

Thanks DBM!!!
I was so tired out after all the trimming!!! it took us 3 hours to get Afgoo 2 done, and it took 5 hours to get Afgoo 1 done!!! we finished up at 5:30AM and I didn't get done hanging them until about 6 - 6:15!!! but yea totally beautiful!!!

Man your ladies are coming along real nicely!!! how come not such a great snap of the WW!!! did you get rain over there???

Man your ladies are coming along real nicely!!! how come not such a great snap of the WW!!! did you get rain over there???

Well the white widows was one I cloned from a mother at my local dispensory.
It didn't get set out until much later than my Purple OG Kush.
Outside of that after it rooted in the rockwool I planted directly in the 10 gallon.
The Purple I planted in a 1 gallon first, then it had a chance to mature a little more before I planted in the 10 gallon. That is the method I prefer, and it shows it did perform better that way. It's all about trial and error man.. That is how us growers get good at what we do by trying different things for ourselves and seeing what works best.

I'm still battling worms on my other ladies.. I pulled another fatty out today and smashed him. I still have some decent buds left though. I am hoping I can harvest before they get wacked too... I flushed yesterday, and today. I will flush once more tomorrow and plant to make the cut next week after letting her dry for 4 days.

My Sativa was hit the least by the worms and it is still thriving.
By the looks of her I think I can go another 2-4 weeks.
I was thinking of getting some of the catepillar killer for her only and spray tonight. This way I can allow at least 2 weeks for the spray to dissapate before cutting. My thought is by spraying her if there are any tiny worms in there it should kill them, if not I am thinking it may prevent any further white moth landings.

I will be glad when the plants are cut and done.. :)

It's a good thing this stuff is legal now, my entire house smells like weed.
I made a few cuttings along the line and am drying some in a bag in my closet.
I walk into the house from outside and it smells like a marijuana factory..haha :laughtwo:

Oh, and I hear you about the trimming.. takes a lot of time.
To bad you can't go to home depot or something and hire some of the guys that solicite work to come over and cut for you .. haha

Some say leave the leaves on when you dry as it helps hold in the moisture within the bud.
I myself just cut the leaves off before hanging. I think it is easier than when you let the buds dry. So I give them a pretty good cut first.

Did you figure out the problems of your other indoor grow yet?
I just follow basics and start from the ground and work up.

1. Make sure your PH meter is accurate. The analog meters tend to be less accurate than digital.
You may want to double check that. Maybe even bring it in to a hydro store and have them compare with one of their digital ones or something. Most people have 2 meters for that purpose so they can calibrate and verify the accuracy.

2. Whenever problems I learned to flush flush flush with PH 6.0 water.
Flush until the water coming out the bottom of your plant is clean.
Then wait a bit to see if they rebound and then fertilize with 1/2 strength and build up.

3. I can't imagine why your plants at that small of size would have any deficiency.
Your tap water was considered, but how could that be at fault when you used that same water for your outdoor plants and they were fine right? One thing I do know is the tap PH can change so be aware of that. One month it may be in range, the next it may not. Always check frequently.

Now how well it rooted can make a difference, but you should have seen that before you planted initially.
I always check my roots and make sure they look healthy and that they are shooting out all over the bottom of the rockwool or whatever medium you used.

Congrats on the harvest Astonr! :thumb:

What did the wet weight of each plant come out to after trimming?

LOL anyways, my brother helped me out on the clippings and he is the 1 that weighed them but I kept him so smoked out, that he forgot the numbers like 3 minutes after we started hanging them!!! LOL I remember him saying that Afgoo 1 totally outweighed Afgoo 2!!! and I think it was a little more over 100 grams difference!!! but remember wet weight!!! I think i remember him saying Afgoo 1 did 200 something and I think he said that Afgoo 1 did 350 or something like that, so all together, a rough estimate, 550 grams in wet weight!!! which, after the formula is applied, i get a dry weight of 127.5 grams!!! which is 4.9 oz's!!! HHHHEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked my brother again if he could remember at all, and he said he thinks on the 200 one it was like 242 and the 300 something one was like 363 or in that range, because he remembers that I had tried to do the math on the difference between the both and I had said over 100 grams like 120 grams!!! but thats all he remembers, But I kept some of the small popcorns on the side, at start of drying, they were 51 grams, today I weighed them and I have 20 grams in there now!!! almost time to start the cure on them!!!

I thought of a great way to dry faster than normal, I took those small buds and put them into a paper bag over night and into the first day, and today I took them in that same bag and put them in the oven... Now I didn't say I turned on the oven!!! but I have a gas oven, and it has a pilot in it, and it naturally stays warm in there... so I put the bag in there, about an hour ago I checked on them and they are starting to get crispy on the edges, no major crunch or anything, but a sure sign that it is drying!!! LOL classic!!!

Just smashed a big fatty today..

You know what the screwed up thing is about these worms. When you go to look for them they look at you and then jump into the bud and hide. Since they are green like the bud it is hard to see them. When they get big enough to see them they are at the point where they destroy your entire bud cluster... sucks.

But I sprayed their asses last night with BT and I am hoping it will keep them at bay. I will follow up with a few more sprays every 3 days to get what I might of missed.

I figured this way I can get a bit longer of maturity before I harvest. I want all my white pistols to turn brown/red and shooting for like a 70 amber to 30 cloudy on the trichomes. I prefer the couch lock high.

Day 4: Drying

well today I went out and picked up my mason jars from stater bros. The biggest I could find was only quart size!!! so thats what I got, I got a 12 pack of them for 12.99!!! not bad!!! they had the smaller sizes for cheaper, but I didn't want to chop down the colas!!! I want to keep them in tact whole!!! but when I got home I put the longest 1 up to the jar and it is still bigger than the jar!!! DAMN IT!!! oh well I am just going to have to measure them out before I have to cut the down to size, and plenty of pictures too!!!

til next time!!!

SO what are they at now???

I don't have a great picture of them like you see with your camera. But what I can tell they are at most 10 percent amber. The pistol hairs are roughly about 25% -50% now. I may have flushed a little early, but that was because I am not sure of the outcome of my worm attack. If I start losing the worm battle then I will harvest sooner and want to have the plant flushed and ready to go.
I want to hold out as long as I can. Plus the longer I hold out and more distance I put the plant from the spraying the better too :) .

Day 4: Drying

well today I went out and picked up my mason jars from stater bros. The biggest I could find was only quart size!!! so thats what I got, I got a 12 pack of them for 12.99!!! not bad!!! they had the smaller sizes for cheaper, but I didn't want to chop down the colas!!! I want to keep them in tact whole!!! but when I got home I put the longest 1 up to the jar and it is still bigger than the jar!!! DAMN IT!!! oh well I am just going to have to measure them out before I have to cut the down to size, and plenty of pictures too!!!

til next time!!!

What is a Stater bros??? Oh wait, is that the manufacturer of your jars?...haha sorry.
I seen a bunch of packs in various sizes at Walmart.
That is a pretty versatile store, I like it.. They seem to have a bit of everything.

You need to measure your biggest colas like a prize fish :laughtwo: You need to have someone take pictures with you holding it. Then roll one with one of those big Cheech and Chong papers and smoke it. Then get more pictures.. haha Document the size and add to your journal.

We worked hard for our grow, now its time we have some fun.

Back
Top Bottom