Air pots/smart pots

tommyb88

been looking at smart pots (air pruning pots) couldnt i just drill tiny holes into normal plastic pots, would this work the same???

thanks for the reply, just trying decide weather to buy the smart pots or not,, all the reviews and comments are either realy good or really bad nothing inbetween and just looking at alternative ways with simular results ( thats if they really are as good as they say they are ) hmmmm il have to have a think

If you want I'm sure I have one laying around at the shop, brand new.

If you're willing to pay shipping I'll send it for free and you can try one out before committing. Only heads-up I would give you is they will likely dry out sooner then your other pots which means you either water it in larger volume or use Soil Moist.

E-mail me if interested: joey@gjvhydro.com

thanks mate might take you up on the offer, do you ship to uk? sorry to be a pain but got a few questions is it essential for them to be raised of the ground for drainage, would a layer of hydroten pebbles at the bottom help if their not raised?

I bought the 12 Liter size and as of yet grown a plant big enough for the roots to grow out the holes. If I were to buy more I'd buy the 7.5 or maybe just the 3 Liter so the pot could work the way it's suppose to

I'm designing a huge pot for my next big plant, Critical #47. It is a seedling right now, growing in 50% perlite 50% corse coco.

Design is hard to explain, but I will be using a large 30 gal pot looking thing I got for $10 at K-mart. It looks like a large pot with rope handles. I think for laudry or something. I will mount the berlap material inside. This is where the soil will go. I will drill holes in the big pot so to let more air flow inside. The berlap is very airy already. The reasy the berlap will be mounted inside the pot is so that light doesn't hit the outer part, so roots can grow out of it. Water will drain into the pot, keeping it very humid in there. When or if the roots grow out of the berlap, they will have a dark, airy, moist environment. The berlap with perlite coco inside should allow for great airflow, probably better than an air pot. I might use pure perlite.

Something you might want to give a shot. If the roots happen to grow down into the water, then I will place an air stone in there.

I also want to do a hempy pot, but put a screen right above the drain hole, so that only water is below the hole, so the roots will sit in water, like dwc. Put an air stone in it.

Ir just fix a net pot to go inside the hempy bucket/pot

That what I do. I buy 5 gal white buckets from the hardware store and drill a lot of holes about the size of a small dime,,(lol) Than spray paint the buckets black. Drill the sides and bottom. I think I drill about 30 holes in each bucket.
Aloha, sunnyside58

Back
Top Bottom