An abundance or deficiency?

RipinTubes

420 Member
I can’t really tell what’s going on here... maybe you guys can help. Kinda looks like a mag deficiency, but it also looks like a phosphorus overload too... I don’t know. Can anyone tell me what’s going on here? Seems to happen pretty regularly. Plants look healthy otherwise. Just getting this patchy looking leaf as it matures. Thanks for the help guys!

5B7C4955-A898-4629-B928-E33D5518F1C5.jpeg

I can’t really tell what’s going on here... maybe you guys can help. Kinda looks like a mag deficiency, but it also looks like a phosphorus overload too... I don’t know. Can anyone tell me what’s going on here? Seems to happen pretty regularly. Plants look healthy otherwise. Just getting this patchy looking leaf as it matures. Thanks for the help guys!

5B7C4955-A898-4629-B928-E33D5518F1C5.jpeg
Hey @RipinTubes hope you are well.
Couple questions.
What are you growing in my friend?
What are you feeding her?
If coco what is your ppm?
What is your ph?
Stay safe.
Bill

Thanks for the replys guys! I am feeding cal mag on top of what's already in the base nutes (flora nova grow), so that seems a little odd. But maybe I need more?

I am using pro mix. ppm is usually around the 700's or so. I don't usually ph, so I have no idea what that is. Normally don't have a problem. As they go into flower this starts to straighten out on its own and then I never see it again. It seems to happen mostly in veg, so maybe it does need more cal mag.

Thanks again guys

No I'm using RO.

Here is another pic with a bit different lighting so you can see they are healthy and green. You can see the front leaf starting to get patchy but its a nice dark green which makes me think its an overload of some sort and not a deficiency.

IMG_6688.jpg

Thanks for the replys guys! I am feeding cal mag on top of what's already in the base nutes (flora nova grow), so that seems a little odd. But maybe I need more?

I am using pro mix. ppm is usually around the 700's or so. I don't usually ph, so I have no idea what that is. Normally don't have a problem. As they go into flower this starts to straighten out on its own and then I never see it again. It seems to happen mostly in veg, so maybe it does need more cal mag.

Thanks again guys
Promix has a couple different options.
From what I understand it's usually soilless (hydroponic)
I think you would benefit from checking your ph.
5.8 would be your target there.
Improper ph can cause uptake issues causing a deficiency.
I assume you are using the G.H. trio according to the feed schedule?
You should be giving calmag every feed.:Namaste:
Stay safe my friend.
Bill

Promix has a couple different options.
From what I understand it's usually soilless (hydroponic)
I think you would benefit from checking your ph.
5.8 would be your target there.
Improper ph can cause uptake issues causing a deficiency.
I assume you are using the G.H. trio according to the feed schedule?
You should be giving calmag every feed.:Namaste:
Stay safe my friend.
Bill
Thanks for the reply Bill

- I'm using Pro-mix HP,
- I've read that it should be about 6.2-6.3 for pro mix which I discovered my mix came out to early on so I never messed with it again. But maybe I should keep checking it, yes.
- I am not using the trio. I'm only using flora nova as my base nute. TPS organic cal mag.
- I am feeding cal mag every water. I've watched a video from pro mix themselves that said you should be feeding every water when using pro mix as to not disturb the balance. So that's what I do. About 25-35% runoff or so...

You shouldn't need to pH in Pro Mix unless your source water is less than 4 or more than 8 pH before mixing nutes.
I would follow the nutrient feeding PDF for the Flora series.

It looks like you are only using one of three components. You are missing out on all micros and some p&k.

Thanks for the reply virgin ground. I think you must be mistaking flora nova grow for the 3 part series. Flora nova grow has everything for veg.
I think you're right. I thought it was the trio. I missed this...
- I am not using the trio.
My apologies.

Is this the chart you are using?
Screenshot_20210920-173030.png

Mag issues can come from a few other things. Cold can stop the uptake of mag. 65° is when things get noticeable.
Can also be due to strong lighting.

I would transplant it asap.

I have TPS organic cal-mag as well. Are you giving a full dose?
That stuff is strong.

Epsom spray would be the quick fix for a mag issue.

Is there any other info you can give us. Temp,rh and distance to light? How many true watts the light is?

I see you are using RO. What was your tap water like?

I have TPS organic cal-mag as well. Are you giving a full dose?
That stuff is strong.

Epsom spray would be the quick fix for a mag issue.

Is there any other info you can give us. Temp,rh and distance to light? How many true watts the light is?

I see you are using RO. What was your tap water like?

No worries on the confusion with the flora series, I figured you had the two confused. Yes, I'm giving them the full 2ml of TPS. The ppm doesn't go up very much for 2ml... maybe like 100ppm or less? I haven't checked it in awhile.. But I do remember it being quite a bit less then I expected. 2ml of bloom city cal-mag gets me about double what TPS does.. so I don't know what's going on there. Maybe the extra nitrogen..

These are in a little cab I use for clone transition with 3 store bought flat LED strips meant to go underneath cupboards in your kitchen.... I forget the wattage but its nothing spectacular, so I doubt its that. Maybe 30 (led) watts per strip? Temps are 75 / humidity between 50-55% or so. Tap water ph is betwen 7.6-8.0... RO filter is clean...

IMG_6689.jpg

No worries on the confusion with the flora series, I figured you had the two confused. Yes, I'm giving them the full 2ml of TPS. The ppm doesn't go up very much for 2ml... maybe like 100ppm or less? I haven't checked it in awhile.. But I do remember it being quite a bit less then I expected. 2ml of bloom city cal-mag gets me about double what TPS does.. so I don't know what's going on there. Maybe the extra nitrogen..

These are in a little cab I use for clone transition with 3 store bought flat LED strips meant to go underneath cupboards in your kitchen.... I forget the wattage but its nothing spectacular, so I doubt its that. Maybe 30 (led) watts per strip? Temps are 75 / humidity between 50-55% or so. Tap water ph is betwen 7.6-8.0... RO filter is clean...

IMG_6689.jpg
Hey brother that's a lot of wood in that room.
I recently had a fire in my veg room.
Please make sure you have a smoke detector in there and a large fire extinguisher outside the door ready to go just incase. :Namaste:
Stay safe my friend.
Bill

No I'm using RO.

Here is another pic with a bit different lighting so you can see they are healthy and green. You can see the front leaf starting to get patchy but its a nice dark green which makes me think its an overload of some sort and not a deficiency.

IMG_6688.jpg
If you are using RO, then you must have a cal mag/micronutrient supplement for the water. That reverse osmosis water is stripped of all its content, including all the secondary and micronutrients the plants actually use.

Thanks for all the responses guys... I solved the issue!! I gave one piece of incorrect info though. I normally use pro mix bx, but during the the beginning of the pandemic I bought a couple bales of all purpose pro mix at Home Depot or somewhere because my local garden store was out of the bx. I forgot I had even done that. For some reason my brain just kinda figured it was essentially the same stuff even though I didn’t really read the bag. Well, let me just tell you.... it is NOT the same stuff at all. The all purpose comes preloaded with nutes and the ph was crazy low. So here I was dumping a bunch of nutes on top of whatever is in there to begin with and what you see in my pics is a straight up over abundance of organic nutrients.

Since I figured that out I’ve been giving them a little bit of kelp in plain RO to bring it back into balance and they have bounced back super fast and are looking great again with none of the patchy looking leaves. Just thought I’d give the heads up to you guys and to future searchers. Save yourself the headache! Do not use the all purpose pro mix!!!

Happy growing!

Back
Top Bottom