Deficiency in Sour Diesel

cliftoma

Just switched Sour Diesel plant to flower. Feeding Fox Farms trio and Cal Mag ph'd to 6.5.

All other plants look great but this one has some sort of deficiency that starts in the middle lower of the plant. Otherwise the rest of plant looks healthy.

I tried comparing to deficiency chart to see what it is missing but I am not sure what deficiency it is. They kind of look similar. Not seeing any pests like thrips or mites.

What do you guys think?

20230427_081822.jpg
IMG_20230427_090436.jpg

Just switched Sour Diesel plant to flower. Feeding Fox Farms trio and Cal Mag ph'd to 6.5.

All other plants look great but this one has some sort of deficiency that starts in the middle lower of the plant. Otherwise the rest of plant looks healthy.

I tried comparing to deficiency chart to see what it is missing but I am not sure what deficiency it is. They kind of look similar. Not seeing any pests like thrips or mites.

What do you guys think?

20230427_081822.jpg
IMG_20230427_090436.jpg
2X per week. Every other watering.
Good morning my friend.
Do you have a pic of entire plant?
Stop pulling those leaves off, makes it worse.
Sounds overwatered, bit hard to tell without seeing her.
Feed full strength nutrients to run off.
Then let dry for 2 or 3 days.
Then plain water to run off.
Dry again dry.
Then feed again.
You should have a good dry period in veg.
Talk soon.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

Not at home right now but will post pic later.

Ok. Will follow your advice. I do let it dry it out between watering.

I noticed that the leaves in that problem area were moving quite a bit when I closed the tent. Repositioned the fans to make sure it wasn't getting wind burned.

Most likely Nitrogen Deficiency. Its a myth to cut nitrogen in flowering. All Nitrogen is, is Protien. Humans eat protien, and turn it into nitrogen. Plants need ever increasing small amounts of EVERYTHING, up until the last 2 weeks of flowering. Then 2 weeks before chop, cut food back by about 25%, and then the last week of flowering cut back another 25%. IMHO changing NPK ratios at flowering are just a money grab by companies. As long as they have a balanced fertilizer, all they need is ever small increases of PPM if using chemicals. Up until the last 2 weeks. With organic, just have the most fertile, balanced NPK, and keep it that way. The plant will use what it needs. I like to have a 19.5-20-39 NPK fertilizer ratio. oR A 1-1-2. And I myself, for chemicals, I like to use Calcium Nitrate-15.5-0-0 for my Nitrogen, and calcium source, and Epsom Salts for my Magnesium, and Sulfur source vs cal/mag. Calcium Nitrate is 20% Calcium.

Also dont let it completely dry out. Just low moist. I use a cheap moisture meter from Lowes, and never let the needle get to the Dry line. Always just a hair above the line. Very close to dry, but never dry. If you let it get dry, it will concentrate the dissolved solids, and when rehydrated, can burn the plant, and is even worse if you feed at this time. Letting them get to dry, can also cause leaf drop.

And Flushing is also a myth.

@cliftoma, how's it going?
Looking a little better but still have some yellowing in the middle of the plant.

Having issues with heat in the tents since I switched ok my flower lights. Temps are getting close 90F. Have several fans and the inline are ok but wish they were stronger.

I can open the tents and have an oscillating fan circulate air. The garage isn't hot itself around 75-80 F. Just a little concerned about pests getting in there.

Any other ideas?

Can you show us a photo of the whole plant, in natural light?

How long ago was the switch over to flowering? As in, when did the first stigma/pistils start showing up? Your question about a deficiency or two is a very common one asked by growers and just as common are the mentions that it started approximately two weeks after flowering started Since you are adjusting the pH of the feed solution to 6.5 it sounds like a soil grow and not hydroponic.

These questions lead to asking if you switched over to the flowering schedule on the first week of flowering? And following the amounts on the latest Fox Farm feeding schedule?

Not at home right now but will post pic later.
The photo is important at this point. It helps the group to see what you are seeing and whether we are on the same track when you mention the "middle lower of the plant".

As @Bill284 brings up, don't pull these leaves off at this time. The plant has stored glucose, hormones, proteins, mineral and more in the leaves, roots, and stems. The leaves are changing color because the plant is now draining each leaf of the mobile nutrients it needs because it is unable to get enough and fast enough through the root system so it goes to the leaves and the deficiency shows up. In this case let the plant get everything it can from the leaf which will fall off on its own when it has no more to give.

I tried comparing to deficiency chart to see what it is missing but I am not sure what deficiency it is. They kind of look similar.
Yep, the charts are not perfect but the color of the leaves in that one photo is very similar to the yellow of a Nitrogen deficiency. Often the Nitrogen deficiency will start to show up lower on the plant so the photo can help out. But, it could be Potassium that the plant needs more of. If so, the leaves that will be affected also pick up a yellow color. Thing is, the yellow often is a different shade and does not seem as bright. Also, the location of the affected leaves usually starts a bit higher up on the canopy.

20230427_081822-jpg.2678527

What do you guys think?

appears the plant is missing and the leaves can't carry on by themselves. :cheesygrinsmiley:

really though, we need a pic of the whole plant. likely a nute issue but even that is a guess without seeing it.

Really need to see in natural light. Maybe just turn off the blurple and shine a bright light in there for the pic(s).

Didnt have a chance to pull her out of the tent this morning before I went to work but snapped a couple of pics. In the second pic, you can see the yellowing leaves in the middle. Plant looks better overall but now I got some clawing going on 🤷‍♂️
20230504_161903.jpg
20230504_161925.jpg
20230504_161912.jpg
How much nitrogen are you feeding?
What's temps day/night & rh?

Bill284 😎

How much nitrogen are you feeding?
What's temps day/night & rh?

Bill284 😎
Following the Fox Farms schedule with 1/2 strength nutes (with the clawing/dark leaves didnt want to burn her). Daytime temps 82-86, nighttime 72. Humidity 50%.

Yeah, I think the signs are pointing to heat stress and/or nitrogen toxicity with the dark green leaves and clawing. Never had a problem with 1/2 strength nutes using the same schedule. I guess I can flush next time I water and see if that helps

For the heat, I can open up the tents to lower temps but afraid of pests entering then I have a whole new problem. Don't know what else I can do here as there is no AC in the garage.

What do you guys/gals think? What's the course of action?
Screenshot_20230506_142743_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here's my 2 cents, but you might want to wait for others to chime in also, because I'm actually not an indoor grower.

First, she looks like a faster-growing pheno compared to the other two. So she has had more nutrient requirement. She is also taller and closer to the lights. Yes, you need to get the temperature down to a normal range. The deformed leaves could be due to heat. The leaves are dark green, so I don't think it's N deficiency – perhaps excess. I'm guessing the yellowing leaves are due to lack of P & K, and perhaps some micronutrients such as S and Fe. With her size, and pot being on the small side, seems you'd want to feed her every watering – BUT, only if she's drinking enough between waterings. Is the pot drying out between waterings? Perhaps a flush is in order, and then I would focus on the bloom nutes, and making sure she's got enough micronutrients, especially S and Fe. See how she responds to less N.
1683414118149.png

Following the Fox Farms schedule with 1/2 strength nutes (with the clawing/dark leaves didnt want to burn her). Daytime temps 82-86, nighttime 72. Humidity 50%.

Yeah, I think the signs are pointing to heat stress and/or nitrogen toxicity with the dark green leaves and clawing. Never had a problem with 1/2 strength nutes using the same schedule. I guess I can flush next time I water and see if that helps

For the heat, I can open up the tents to lower temps but afraid of pests entering then I have a whole new problem. Don't know what else I can do here as there is no AC in the garage.

What do you guys/gals think? What's the course of action?
Screenshot_20230506_142743_Samsung Internet.jpg
What soil did you use?
Lots of N in it?
Potassium silicate helps girls fight heat and stress, very helpful.
I'd get some.
B7t reducing temp somehow would help.
Using 1/2 strength shouldn't do that though.
I'd flush the pot 3x size with plain water and re feed.
Are you alternating between water and feed btw?
Also have you checked your ph?

Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom