Analytics Certification

Doninvt

420 Member
Have purchased seeds advertised as high CBD/low THC from multiple vendors. Testing of flowered plants reveal no correlation between advertised values and actual results. From experience to date, justifying a commercial, CBD, hemp farming operation is not feasible. I remain receptive to other growers with FIRST HAND experience buying from a reputable seed bank that will furnish legitimate, analytic certification of seeds in quantities suitable for testing.

Are you looking for the seed to grow and test, or the certification?

I bought Candida, Nightingale, and V.C.D.C. from Seedsman. I won't be able to test until later this year when I have the funds to buy a test kit.

Salt, both.
Before heavily investing in growing acres of hemp only makes sense to know what I'm planting. In attempting to do that have discovered seed vendors are misrepresenting product. Hopefully there is a seed vendor that knows what they're selling, can prove it, and will stand behind their advertising.

Have purchased seeds advertised as high CBD/low THC from multiple vendors. Testing of flowered plants reveal no correlation between advertised values and actual results. From experience to date, justifying a commercial, CBD, hemp farming operation is not feasible. I remain receptive to other growers with FIRST HAND experience buying from a reputable seed bank that will furnish legitimate, analytic certification of seeds in quantities suitable for testing.

Are they advertised as Hemp Seeds? As anything that is a Cannabis hybrid will be all over the place far as numbers go, just like the Cannabis Seeds say __THC% ___CBD% and your numbers will vary on how many phenotypes there are of the strain (and they exaggerate their numbers sometimes too). Quite a few Hemp operations popping up here in OR, but not sure if they are selling seeds yet (or if they growing for that) or where they are getting them to start their crops with.

(and they exaggerate their numbers sometimes too)

Sometimes? It's more like sometimes, if you provide optimal conditions throughout the grow, you'll find one or two that come close to the breeder's claims. I've got seed for a strain that claims over 40% total cannabinoid content. I'll believe that when I've grown and personally tested it.

Are they advertised as Hemp Seeds? As anything that is a Cannabis hybrid will be all over the place far as numbers go, just like the Cannabis Seeds say __THC% ___CBD% and your numbers will vary on how many phenotypes there are of the strain (and they exaggerate their numbers sometimes too). Quite a few Hemp operations popping up here in OR, but not sure if they are selling seeds yet (or if they growing for that) or where they are getting them to start their crops with.

Dwight, bottom line, at least as far as I've learned, seed vendors have no idea what they are selling and refuse to acknowledge it. Black mark on the whole industry. Growing plants from seeds advertised as 20:1 (CBD:THC) and having flowers tested as 1:1 is unacceptable. We are sophisticated enough to have make the investment in a lab with spectroscopy. The results speak for themselves.

Dwight, bottom line, at least as far as I've learned, seed vendors have no idea what they are selling and refuse to acknowledge it. Black mark on the whole industry. Growing plants from seeds advertised as 20:1 (CBD:THC) and having flowers tested as 1:1 is unacceptable. We are sophisticated enough to have make the investment in a lab with spectroscopy. The results speak for themselves.

I don't know from any kind of experience, but that just what I heard is that it is hard to get a Cannabis Hybrid to be consistent number wise, and from what I seen listed at Dispensaries it can be all over the place for the same Strains (albeit there is a lot of variables from lights/environment/harvest timing/etc...). Why I asked if you were trying to get just Hemp seeds as that should be more consistent, though that is a guess though too. I will contact my Sister and see if she can give me more info, she working at a Hemp place that just starting up and probably knows more about it than I do (which don't say much ;) :rofl:), I know she said they were working with regular and trying to make Fem seeds as OR was trying to push a Bill thru that wouldn't allow outdoor male hemp being grown as it was affecting the Cannabis growers and their crops. I will post back here if I learn anything or I will just drop you a PM, not sure if she knows or can find out anything that be helpful.

Ok here goes :rofl: guess I can't PM you as you don't have 50 posts yet so scratch that ;)

Not sure where you located as sounds like different rules for about everything involved depending where you at (not that that surprises me, actually kind of figured such). Don't know if you have Hemp/Cannabis Fairs where you are at, she says those can be options for seeds and also places to get more info. She knows quite a bit but you might try searching Oregon Hemp Genetics for more info from her boss maybe, as sounds like they dealing with various places and various rules though they are just starting up basically (in the last year or so).

No idea what you already know but will try and recap all that she messaged me. Your numbers can change (concentrating the numbers when you are making a concentrate) so you need a process for isolate and not distillate when making oils, she said various machines with different names out there but a big difference between the two. Sounds like even Hemp Strains can be a pain in the backside to get it to fall into "specs/numbers" too, though more of an issue when working with high CBD Cannabis Strains, as the way Genetics works and you can get a more thc Cannabis phenotype due to the genetic dice roll and due to the comprised genetic pool in the Hybrid. She says they fighting same thing and have figured out that one needs to harvest earlier than one would think as the CBD comes on first and the THC does later on in maturity, so they are getting better numbers harvesting early on. She said sweet spot seems to be 45-60 days they are finding. So sounds like you want to be trying to get Hemp Seeds and not high CBD Cannabis Seeds as Hemp a lot more stable/consistent in their makeup. Sounds like they sent an order to Kentucky recently, and currently working on an Indian Reservation which has a lot easier requirements than KY does.

Hope that helps some, sounds like "typical" issues as still a fairly new industry (in much of the world) and it's still in the learning curve stages it sounds like.

Dwight, many thanks for making the call on my behalf, and the helpful suggestions. I'll follow up with Oregon Hemp Genetics. Have plans to attend the NECANN convention here in northern New England next month. Hopefully a seed producer will be there with genetic certification. Dialog with growers confirmed CBD strain farming is a high stakes, competitive business. Information is closely held, and I don't blame them. Best we can do is continue acquiring seeds with hopes of stumbling upon a suitably profitable option. Yes, testing plants as they mature is absolutely mandatory. Our spectroscopy instruments will key harvest within a safe margin of 0.3% THC. But unless we can source reliable seeds will focus on other business interests.

Back
Top Bottom