The Answer's DIY Kief Box

Thanks for the kief production tip SS! I'm going to try the coins my next time.

I got one of the sharpstone presses and it's plenty simple and effective. Doesn't make the tight of pack even after leaving the kief to press overnight but easy to cut into the chuck size you want and has the same effect as my Michael's press that I bake for 10 min. Used to like it loose but now I find that pressing is the way to go. Much more even burn and some melting underway. I'm glad I have both.

Okay, okay, okay, now I'm going to have to buy ne of these! Every time you guys find something bigger and better I end up talking to the UPS man.

Thanks!

My experience is the harder it's pressed, the longer it burns, but I now like it soft and malleable enough to just break a little piece off with my fingers.

I used to press so hard that the only way was to shave the puck with a razor blade.

It smokes long but hot when you press it that hard, kind of like a charcoal briquet.

IMO, it both tastes and smokes better when it's softer.

That aluminum dumbbell press has big knurled knobs and fairly fine threads. You can reef down on it as hard as you want and it won't even begin to break, but trying to break it makes crappy hash.

Hey, the Answer got me started! I blame him! I'm a victim of circumstance I tells ya!

:oops:

My experience is the harder it's pressed, the longer it burns, but I now like it soft and malleable enough to just break a little piece off with my fingers.

I used to press so hard that the only way was to shave the puck with a razor blade.

It smokes long but hot when you press it that hard, kind of like a charcoal briquet.

IMO, it both tastes and smokes better when it's softer.

That aluminum dumbbell press has big knurled knobs and fairly fine threads. You can reef down on it as hard as you want and it won't even begin to break, but trying to break it makes crappy hash.

I would concur that the lightly pressed product tastes better(more of the kief flavor). I have a very tightly pressed puck(gotta use a razor) and while quite potent, it doesn't have the greatest taste. Probably due to such a strong concentration of resin. It certainly gets the job done though!

My question is why press at all? After screening isn't it ok to smoke? I am confused about the difference between kief(isolated trichs I think), and hash pressed kief. Please explain. I know I am not doing this my first grow but have read this thread and another three times already and still confused. Also in on youtube most just how you powder on the screen. Do they process it first through a screen? Is it just crumpled in your hand?

So little patience, so much to learn.

My question is why press at all? After screening isn't it ok to smoke? I am confused about the difference between kief(isolated trichs I think), and hash pressed kief. Please explain. I know I am not doing this my first grow but have read this thread and another three times already and still confused. Also in on youtube most just how you powder on the screen. Do they process it first through a screen? Is it just crumpled in your hand?

You can smoke kief just fine without pressing it, and some prefer to just smoke it in powder form, but pressing it into hash makes it easier to handle, it burns longer, and it probably stays fresher because of less exposure to air when it's pressed.

Not sure about your youtube question.

I use very dry bud and run it through a kitchen strainer or grind it before using the screen to sieve the kief.

I use the leftovers from the sieving to make edibles, and there is enough THC left to work very well for that.

It can be confusing and not everyone does it the same way, but just keep asking questions and we'll get it figured out ;).

The youtube part was that everyone already has it on the screen to kief in powder form. I was wondering how to get it that way. From what you said you put it through like a pasta strainer. What or how do you do the stems?

Ok so obviously I wouldn't leave you guys with no results!! I have a couple freezer bags of trim and some small underbuds that I placed into the freezer one and a half hours before this test run. I have read many different screen hash making tutorials and the freeze time varies from 1 hour to 24 hours!! I just took a small amount for now and will let the rest freeze overnight.

As you can see here I took just a small amount to test it out.
Bubble2_616.jpg

In the earlier post I said keep the felt backing, that is because I put that under the glass in order to see the collection of trichs better. After working the material for about ten minutes I had this!
Bubble2_599.jpg

Not bad for about 5-6 grams of scrap, I can't wait to do the rest!!
Bubble2_608.jpg

Not sure about the youtube, but this is how you get the kief from the trim. Once you crumble the trim over the screen, just lightly work it around(back&forth,circular,etc.). The trichs fall through onto the glass and then you scrape them up with a credit card.

Setting Sun put it very well, you can smoke keif, but it burns quick. If you press, it will burn much slower and last longer. However I enjoy it in all forms!

Me too and right about now! Loose earlier and pressed now. It's different in burn and taste. The loose is more mellow than the pressed which is kind of trippy for me. I find that a "soft" press is slightly easier to deal with than a "hard" press. Your milage may vary. I get a feeling that this is definately a different strokes for different folks thing.

The youtube part was that everyone already has it on the screen to kief in powder form. I was wondering how to get it that way. From what you said you put it through like a pasta strainer. What or how do you do the stems?

I use a 6" wire strainer and grind it through that right over the screen before sieving the kief.

I don't put big stems in there, and I remove the smaller ones as I go because I've been poked under a fingernail and that freakin' hurts.

If you put a pinch of kief in a bowl and hit it with a flame, it tends to go WOOOF! and burns very fast. If it is compressed, baked, or packed into a patty or cake or clump, you can use less and it will burn slower.

The trim leaves are dried and crumpled and chilled to freezing, when you use the screen method.

If anyone is watching, I took the stuff out of the freezer and hand crumbled over the screen. I moved the stuff around and got some nice kief I think. I collected it and put it in the dumb bell press from ebay.
How long should it press till it sticks?
How do I get it off the metal pieces?
How should I store the hash after I released the puck?

As soon as I take it off I will take a picture. It is only a small amount maybe that is why it is having trouble sticking. I just wanted to try it. It seems like I may have put the stuff in the freezer before it was totally dry. I have the paper bag sitting open on the dresser till it drys completely then back to the freezer it goes.

So from what I read you can put it through a spaghetti strainer first. Is that correct?

If anyone is watching, I took the stuff out of the freezer and hand crumbled over the screen. I moved the stuff around and got some nice kief I think. I collected it and put it in the dumb bell press from ebay.
How long should it press till it sticks?

Depends completely on how tight you squeezed it.

By having coated them very lightly with cooking oil before pressing ;).

How should I store the hash after I released the puck?

I store mine in any small light-proof and airtight container, like a pill bottle or something like that. Storage is not too much of a concern as it usually doesn't last that long ;).

So from what I read you can put it through a spaghetti strainer first. Is that correct?

I grind my herb by hand through a spaghetti strainer before sieving it through the screen. I'm sure there's other good ways, but that way pre-separates a lot of trichs and the kief yield improves for me.

By having coated them very lightly with cooking oil before pressing .

Ut oh forgot to do that step. Now have puck stuck on press. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom