The Answer's DIY Kief Box

Thank you Blitty D!

That 3.7g puck was made from various different strains and turned out very good, but I squeezed it way too tight and it was literally hard as a rock.

Almost needed a chisel to break a piece off ;).

I don't press it nearly as hard these days and the hash turns out much easier to break up and smoke.

thanks for the rep ;)

It's really a steal.

I've seen basic presses going for $30-40, and this press is far superior.

It's indestructible too.

I pressed some kief by leaving the knobs off and putting the cylinder and pins in my large bench vise. Cranked it down tighter and tighter over a few days time and it held up just fine.

Produced a canna diamond that was impossible to cut. I had to shave it with a single-edge razor blade to smoke it, lol.

I did it out of curiosity, but again, have since stopped trying to make green diamonds.

If you want a *really* nicely machined and sturdy hash press at a great price, here's a link:

Mendo Mulcher Aluminum pollen press dumbell - eBay

In case you do like to heat your kief a little, some do, note that the pins are metal, not plastic.

It's a heavy, well-machined piece of gear, and one of the best deals I've ever encountered.

I have no affiliation to the vendor, but just wanted to share something I found that works really well

It has a nice tight slip fit, so I lube the pins lightly with cooking oil which prevents any sticking and also helps release the puck.

IMG_2524_Medium.JPG

Very nice SS, thanks for the addition!! The clay extruder from micheal's works ok, but I definitely want to upgrade. I like the fact it is MADE IN USA too! Yet another item on my "to buy" list!!

By the way just because people call them pucks, didn't mean you had to try and make a real hockey puck!!!:rofl:

Very nice SS, thanks for the addition!! The clay extruder from micheal's works ok, but I definitely want to upgrade. I like the fact it is MADE IN USA too! Yet another item on my "to buy" list!!

I think it would still be a good deal at twice the price.

By the way just because people call them pucks, didn't mean you had to try and make a real hockey puck!!!:rofl:

Well, your DIY kief box would have made things a lot easier. Thanks for sharing it ;)

I'm :bongrip: my first kief from my $24 box, and all I can say is :thanks: and :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

$5 11x14 frame from walmart works pretty well - the screen just sits on top of the frame, and most of the kief stays in the middle, making collection easy with the razor. I'm too stoned to type anymore... :ganjamon:

UPDATE:

I got a small update here on my pressing procedure. As you know from the first page, I purchased the cheap $10 clay press from Micheal's. Well at first I wasn't pleased, as it took alot of effort to get even a fairly tight puck. I have now come up with a system that produces some potent HASH!!

1. Insert kief into press
  2. Press,press,press,press
  3. Heat oven to 175 degress
  4. Place the press into the oven for 10-15 min.
  5. Remove the press, let cool for 1 min.
  6. While still warm, press again(it will feel warm and gooey)
  7. Let cool some more and then remove puck from the press
  8. Enjoy some fine quality HASH!!!
  9. :smokin:
This kief came from my Church harvest and I tried just kief, pressed kief, and now baked Hash.The finished product is WAY better than just pressing or kief alone. The puck is very hard and I use a razor to take a small chunk. Two tokes and I am on a cerebral journey!!

Bubble2_985.jpg

Bubble2_969.jpg

Bubble2_994.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it tonight. How much kief did you load it with?

The pile you see in the pic I split in two and did two pucks. Then I put both pucks back in and pressed them into the mega puck. I think each time the cylinder was roughly 1/4 full. I don't have any scales, so I never actually wieghed the kief! I wish I knew how much the mega puck wieghs, it's pretty hefty!

The pile you see in the pic I split in two and did two pucks. Then I put both pucks back in and pressed them into the mega puck. I think each time the cylinder was roughly 1/4 full. I don't have any scales, so I never actually wieghed the kief! I wish I knew how much the mega puck wieghs, it's pretty hefty!

a nickels weigh 5 grams, could give you a rough comparison.

Well I've got about that much under my screen right now so I have some fun stuff to do this evening.

Sounds to me like the process is this. Load about 1/2 of a pile the size you have, press and then heat at 175 for 10 min, let it cool to touch but while still warm squeeze it hard again and then let it cool and remote the puck. Repeat! Then put the two cooled puck into the press, reheat at 175 for 10 min, let cool to warm touch, press hard, let cool and presto chango you have Mega Puck!

I'll weigh it up when I'm done!

If you want a *really* nicely machined and sturdy hash press at a great price, here's a link:

Mendo Mulcher Aluminum pollen press dumbell - eBay (item 130317746062 end time Mar-06-10 11:15:04 PST)

In case you do like to heat your kief a little, some do, note that the pins are metal, not plastic.

It's a heavy, well-machined piece of gear, and one of the best deals I've ever encountered.

I have no affiliation to the vendor, but just wanted to share something I found that works really well

It has a nice tight slip fit, so I lube the pins lightly with cooking oil which prevents any sticking and also helps release the puck.

IMG_2524_Medium.JPG

Very nice press.. I picked one up for $19.99 w/shipping.
Thanks Setting Sun.

A couple of tips to increase your yield of kief if it hasn't been mentioned previously are to use very dry bud, because too much moisture will clog the screen and the trichs will not separate from the plant matter easily.

I don't find freezing to be of much benefit if the herb is dry enough.

Second tip is to put a few coins on the screen when you are shaking and sifting. The coins will keep the screen clear and help the trichs heads fall through.

If you've got the right size mesh, the coins will not force any significant amount of leafy matter through the screen, but your kief yield will increase a lot.

Thanks for the kief production tip SS! I'm going to try the coins my next time.

I got one of the sharpstone presses and it's plenty simple and effective. Doesn't make the tight of pack even after leaving the kief to press overnight but easy to cut into the chuck size you want and has the same effect as my Michael's press that I bake for 10 min. Used to like it loose but now I find that pressing is the way to go. Much more even burn and some melting underway. I'm glad I have both.

Back
Top Bottom