The Answer's DIY Kief Box

Do you think you are getting more plant matter this way? Happens to me the more I shake and maneuver my leaves around the screen. Especially on the late passes.

I get more plant matter on each subsequent pass whether I shake manually or vibrate electrically.

With the lab vibrator, you have the option of just doing one longer session and getting pretty much *everything*, or pulsing it for different lengths of time in order to sieve different grades of kief.

that thing is awesome, did not know they made such a thing. I usually hold my box on top of a massager I have and let it vibrate it for me, this would be easier.

laziness is the mother of invention ;)

BTW, if anyone is tired of shaking their screen, or they already have a sifter box, you could use one of these to do the shaking:

NEW! Dental Lab Heavy Duty Platform Vibrator - eBay (item 330434367217 end time May-23-10 12:rofl:32 PDT)

love it when link addresses laugh at me, LOL!

OK, I must be missing something here. So you put the leaves in the kief box and put the kief box on the vibrator and let 'er go? No more scraping the leaves around by hand? How much can you run at a time? How long do you let it run for?

OK, I must be missing something here. So you put the leaves in the kief box and put the kief box on the vibrator and let 'er go? No more scraping the leaves around by hand? How much can you run at a time? How long do you let it run for?

I just got the idea to use a lab vibrator a few days ago. I haven't bought one yet, but I used a vibrating palm sander applied to the side of my kief box to see how it might work.

I had about an ounce of shake in the box that I had sieved pretty much to death shaking by hand, so I wanted to see if there was anything left that the vibrator might get. I got 2 more grams of kief after 2-3 minutes of vibrating the box just by applying the vibrating sander to one of the sides. I put a towel between the sander and box so that it wouldn't get scratched up.

Now, if the palm sander works that well, one of those dental lab vibrators would work even better.

I don't think you could just set a kief box on top of one and walk away without securing it somehow, but that would be easy enough to do.

You can vary the vibration level also, so it would take some experimenting to see what combination of vibration/time would work best.

I'm going to keep using my palm sander for now, but as soon as I find a good deal on a lab vibrator, I'll pick one up.

I just got the idea to use a lab vibrator a few days ago. I haven't bought one yet, but I used a vibrating palm sander applied to the side of my kief box to see how it might work.

I had about an ounce of shake in the box that I had sieved pretty much to death shaking by hand, so I wanted to see if there was anything left that the vibrator might get. I got 2 more grams of kief after 2-3 minutes of vibrating the box just by applying the vibrating sander to one of the sides. I put a towel between the sander and box so that it wouldn't get scratched up.

Now, if the palm sander works that well, one of those dental lab vibrators would work even better.

I don't think you could just set a kief box on top of one and walk away without securing it somehow, but that would be easy enough to do.

You can vary the vibration level also, so it would take some experimenting to see what combination of vibration/time would work best.

I'm going to keep using my palm sander for now, but as soon as I find a good deal on a lab vibrator, I'll pick one up.

When you find that deal please remember us!

If you did a diy with the yudu screen on top of picture box what would you use to make sure all the stuff doesn't fall off the screen? I certainly falls when I move it around as big as that screen is. I am not that inventive. I am sure you all have some ways to keep the stuff on the screen.

Glad you had good results Roseman!

I think I could rig something up by securing the palm sander in my bench vise upside down and then somehow attaching a larger platform with short sides that would keep my kief box from falling off.

My motivation for finding an easier way was that I tend to get tennis elbow from doing repetitive motions, and my kief box is solid oak and maple and pretty heavy, so I was getting some elbow pain when sieving larger amounts.

If the changes to my palm sander have to be permanent and render it unusable for sanding, that would be OK, as I can get another sander pretty cheap and I've had tennis elbow so bad that it would hurt to lift a cup of coffee.

I'm still going to continue checking for good deals on dental lab vibrators even if I get this to work, because that would be a more elegant solution.

I've got the yudu and I have mine over a non-stick baking pan like you would use for cookies. Mine has sort a 1" lips. The yudu fits right over it and the non-stck surface makes it a breeze to gather.

MC I am talking about the screen itself not the bottom. I have no issue once the stuff goes through the screen it is when it sits on top of the screen that it all goes flying. The screen needs borders that stick up(edges) to hold the stuff on it while moving it around. I just can't figure out how to do it.

All you're getting with the vibrator after a while is ground up plant material. Bigger yield but lower quality. The quick sift for the best and use the vibrator later to get baking pot. Toss that in a batch of cookies and save the early stuff for smoking/vapourizing.

Just my $0.02 worth.

:peace:

I agree that the "after a while" needs to be experimented with, because there are lots of variables, i.e. mesh sizes, vibration frequency and intensity, etc, but my main motivation for trying something different is my tennis elbow problem, so getting some extra plant material during the course of my experiments is still better than getting no kief at all ;).

also, I never thanked you on that other thread for the tip on using braided poly rope for hydro wicks, which works great! so thanks bro!

I agree that the "after a while" needs to be experimented with, because there are lots of variables, i.e. mesh sizes, vibration frequency and intensity, etc, but my main motivation for trying something different is my tennis elbow problem, so getting some extra plant material during the course of my experiments is still better than getting no kief at all ;).

also, I never thanked you on that other thread for the tip on using braided poly rope for hydro wicks, which works great! so thanks bro!

I'm glad the rope worked for you and I'm totally on board with the tennis elbow probs. Mine's from pitching hard-ball as a kid. Never got picked for the football team as I'm too small but if something had to be thrown fast, hard and accurately, I was the guy.

Now I can barely toss a cookie hard enough to hit the dog's mouth! LOL

I'm just saying that over-processing the trim ends up with lots more green in the end product. A quick sift, take the goody out, then sift it more for baking kief.

Best of both worlds IMHO. :thumb:

:peace:

I'd agree that processing the premium first and gently would lead to a more pure product that most like the best. I do have the drive for the plant to give me "all" she has to offer. I find that the latter passes produce a more down hash and that has it's place also.

At some point it's a Lab experiment since every strain's kief is a little different. Different tokes for different folks.

I'm so glad this thread is still going strong!! Thanks to Setting Sun for another great idea, I will try it out next round. I am toking on some Roadrunner Hash right now and it will turn you into a zombie!!!

Back
Top Bottom