Any advice on what way I should go would be appreciated

shorty011

Hello all I am a new grower new to this lifestyle but it is a necessary evil for me at the moment my problem is I am having to grow discreet due to the children in my house and I have three options that I have come up with and I want to get some advice from the people that are on :420: I have read lots of posts an the people that frequent here are smart intelligent and that's why I am going to rack your brains.

1) I have a huge closet maybe 8ft across by 8ft wide in my master bedroom and I was thinking about getting a 2x2x6 grow tent with a 4 in inline fan for exhaust out the top with a carbon scrubber attached on the inside and I have a 400w led light it is a sponsor of 420 magazine but I'm not taking any chances and naming any names I have a bubbleponic 6 cup system I made myself and for a disabled butt head like me it turned out pretty good . I also have a 4 inch fan for breeze on canopy

2) option 2 for me is in that same closet I have a chance to get a 30" wide x 20" deep x 63" high metal cabinet like a gun cabinet 18 guage steel I would put all the same components in it except I would use two 4 inch computer fans for exhaust and 1 4 inch computer fan for a intake I have several rolls of dual layer radiant bubble barrier here so I can make that cabinet glow like a las vegas strip club lol.

3) my 3rd option is in my master bedroom bathroom right next to the corner of the bathroom and a window and a ac vent is a small closet for linens I measured it and it was around 4ft wide x 23" x 8ft tall I was thinking about putting the radiant barrier covering the whole room making a lifted floor so when the door closes it can shut light out of the bottom I have a vent out of a old mobile home door that goes in the bottom of the door for fresh intake I would put the 4 in inline exhaust fan thru the ceiling to vent all exhaust into the attic that way the negative pressure would draw air in thru the vent in the door still using the same 400w led and bubbleponics .

so if any of yall can lead me in the right direction it would be great I've read extensively on if the led light would produce to much heat and they say it will not but I would rather hear it from growers and not manufacturers just trying to sell more product lol. The closet grow tent would be the easiest for me and cheapest way to go but it is not the stealthiest lol the metal cabinet would be the stealthiest of them all but what I'm worried about is if I have either of those in the closet how much heat will it generate because I cant vent the exhaust anywhere in that bedroom closet I can leave the closet door open and push fresh air from the bedroom into the closet at night and run the light schedule during the night when it is cooler . The bathroom linen closet would be the more expensive route because I would have to have plugs ran in their and build it up my self including venting the heat out the attic..

:thanks: in advance for any help

Hello all I am a new grower new to this lifestyle but it is a necessary evil for me at the moment my problem is I am having to grow discreet due to the children in my house and I have three options that I have come up with and I want to get some advice from the people that are on :420: I have read lots of posts an the people that frequent here are smart intelligent and that's why I am going to rack your brains.

1) I have a huge closet maybe 8ft across by 8ft wide in my master bedroom and I was thinking about getting a 2x2x6 grow tent with a 4 in inline fan for exhaust out the top with a carbon scrubber attached on the inside and I have a 400w led light it is a sponsor of 420 magazine but I'm not taking any chances and naming any names I have a bubbleponic 6 cup system I made myself and for a disabled butt head like me it turned out pretty good . I also have a 4 inch fan for breeze on canopy

2) option 2 for me is in that same closet I have a chance to get a 30" wide x 20" deep x 63" high metal cabinet like a gun cabinet 18 guage steel I would put all the same components in it except I would use two 4 inch computer fans for exhaust and 1 4 inch computer fan for a intake I have several rolls of dual layer radiant bubble barrier here so I can make that cabinet glow like a las vegas strip club lol.

3) my 3rd option is in my master bedroom bathroom right next to the corner of the bathroom and a window and a ac vent is a small closet for linens I measured it and it was around 4ft wide x 23" x 8ft tall I was thinking about putting the radiant barrier covering the whole room making a lifted floor so when the door closes it can shut light out of the bottom I have a vent out of a old mobile home door that goes in the bottom of the door for fresh intake I would put the 4 in inline exhaust fan thru the ceiling to vent all exhaust into the attic that way the negative pressure would draw air in thru the vent in the door still using the same 400w led and bubbleponics .

so if any of yall can lead me in the right direction it would be great I've read extensively on if the led light would produce to much heat and they say it will not but I would rather hear it from growers and not manufacturers just trying to sell more product lol. The closet grow tent would be the easiest for me and cheapest way to go but it is not the stealthiest lol the metal cabinet would be the stealthiest of them all but what I'm worried about is if I have either of those in the closet how much heat will it generate because I cant vent the exhaust anywhere in that bedroom closet I can leave the closet door open and push fresh air from the bedroom into the closet at night and run the light schedule during the night when it is cooler . The bathroom linen closet would be the more expensive route because I would have to have plugs ran in their and build it up my self including venting the heat out the attic..

:thanks: in advance for any help

I would personally go with option #3 if it gives you the square feet you need. You're going to have to run ventilation if you do a tent/cabinet in the large closet anyway, that light will heat it up more than you think, unless it's very cold where you are. 4x T5HO bulbs and a 1000w equivalent LED fixture got a roughly 14'x14'x8' room up to 99°F. LEDs are more efficient than any other kind of light, but it's still like running a small space heater for 16 hours a day.

I got a $20 4" bathroom exhaust fan for a 2'x4'x8' closet and cut a hole in a few pieces of drywall. Even if you have to run 100' of wire for some reason, I don't see how that would be more expensive than a tent.

Exactly... All lights generate heat!

Don't think of "one light runs cooler than another".

All the electricity any kind of light uses is converted into heat. This is basic thermodynamics.

Start thinking... "I have 200 watts of heat to manage"

If you plugged a meter into each light and were able to run each light at the same exact wattage, they would all produce the same exact amount of heat.

An HPS will pound most of the heat straight down onto your plants.
CFLs can be spread around allowing the lights to get closer.
LEDs will typically exhaust a lot of the heat up and away from your plants.

Consider this:
An HPS can be hood vented where a lot of the heat can be exhausted outside the grow area. Most LEDs cannot. The heat has to blend with the existing air, then vented.

It's all about managing heat.

Third option is nice with a slight modification. I would buy a replacement door from bLowes that you can cut holes in. That way if you decide to stop growing there, you can put the original door back on. Inlet at bottom of door with a light trap, and exhaust out the top of the door with carbon filter. Cut a small hole near the bottom as close to the hinges as possible, and run an extension cord for power. This way, nothing is permanent, and you only need to buy a replacement door,an extension cord and a little wood to build a light trap.

All your options are well-though out Shorty011! Any one of them will work. Go with the simplest, and most economic.

I grow in 3 units, (2 shelving units and one closet). They are about 8 sq feet each. I use a pair of Mars 300 LEDs supplemented with 8 - 12 23W CFLs in each. I don't use a ventilation system, just leave the tops open with lots of fans in the units and in the room, and a fan in the window to exhaust heat.

If heat gets too high, just open a door, or reverse the window fan to pull in colder air. You can also put your vegging plants on gaslight schedule, (5 off, 2 on, 5 off, 12 on) which will cut your electric bill, and the heat in the room down. That 2 hours "on" in the middle of the night stops the flowering hormones from expressing themselves. When you are ready to flower, just toggle those 2 hours off.

If you run more than one unit, put them on opposite schedules, 12 hours opposite each other, which also reduces the heat buildup. This works beautifully for photos. Autos, however, don't care abut light schedules. Just give them at least 12 hours of daylight per day. They flower according to their maturity (a ruderalis trait), not by daylength.

BTW, if you run more than one unit, you can leave the door/drape open on the veg unit. You only need to cover the flower unit, as it is sensitive to daylength. This dissipates heat, too. I use all these methods and run a perpetual harvest.

Just some ideas to toss in the think tank. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Appreciating all the info so far thank yall very much unfortunately with my disability it is playing a factor on how much I can do at the moment to get a grow room ready I read all yalls posts and I so want to do my 3rd option but with my broken fusion and the weather starting to change pain is becoming a major factor at this moment and I refuse pain pills I have been pain pill free for 2 years now the only thing I take is naproxen over the counter for inflammation and natures pain medicine :volcano-smiley: I have decided to go the cheaper route and just get the 2x2x6 grow tent got the 400w led light I am making my own dwc hydroponic I can sit on the couch and build that on a small table but question for yall in a 2x2x6 tent what size gallon tub should I get and what size netpots I was thinking a 10 gallon tub with 6 3" net pots what is yalls input on this . I also am ordering a 4" inline 190cfm exhaust fan which has a carbon filter and a speed controller that comes with it for the exhaust I plan on running the duct from the top right of the grow tent down to the floor since I live in a mobile home I am going to have a friend install a dummy floor vent that has a dryer louvered vent cap attached to it so the heat will be pushed thru the top down the duct into a floor vent and out under the house and when it shuts off the louvers close and nothing can come back in . What yall think on that can it work because if it can it will be awesome because if I ever want to take it down I just put the floor register back in and no one knows the wiser they think its a ac vent lol.... Oh I am ordering a nutrient set that I read was great for beginners and the easiest

Back
Top Bottom