Anyone use UVB during veg for pest and mold control?

1969gtx

I've ready too much, and am probably over complicating things, but I see UVB light will kill or prevent white powder mildew and spider mites. I know you normally use uvb in the last few weeks of flower, but any reason not to use it all the way through? I'm running the California 550 led with the controller, so its just a plug in for me, and only 99 bucks.

Get some Green Cleaner. It's a fungicide and insecticide that'll take care of both. Very good stuff.... best to stay on top of those things rather play catch up. Good luck,, I don't think you can read too much btw;)

I've ready too much, and am probably over complicating things, but I see UVB light will kill or prevent white powder mildew and spider mites. I know you normally use uvb in the last few weeks of flower, but any reason not to use it all the way through? I'm running the California 550 led with the controller, so its just a plug in for me, and only 99 bucks.

A while back, probably 2 or 3 years ago I saw a UV-B and UV-C light being marketed for the same reason. I didn't do a lot of research on it, but I spend a few hours digging around to see what I could find...

What I determined was this:
For spider mites it could be used to kill ones that are exposed to the UV-B light, however the key word being exposed. Since spider mites generally hang out underneith the leaves, It would take forever to be able to move the light around to get all shaded areas and it would only really slightly reduce a bad infestation. Also, if the UV-B was strong enough to kill mites it also may cause harm to the plants as well.

For powdery mildew I also had the same perspective, that you wouldn't really be able to achieve killing all of it since PM typically will form and start working its way into buds and all over. It may reduce and kill spores but for it to be effective you would need to move the UV-B light around and hit all angles.

By physically moving UV-B light around, you would have to wear total skin protection and cover all exposed skin as UV-B light is one of the leading causes of skin cancer as the photons pack so much energy that they quickly would damage skin cells.

Things like reptile bulbs and UV put out through HID lighting is very minimal so there is much less risk to plants and people but also not really enough UV-B to effectively use it as a IPM type of solution.

Once use however for UV light could be using UV-C in a completely enclosed casing on an intake air duct. UV-C is even more damaging to anything living, but it can effectly kill mold spores, mildew and other bacteria that passes through its light. It can be used effectively for sterilizing intake air but you have to also be careful because UV-C can ionize oxygen and create Ozone which also can be harmful to people and plants.

If you wanted to use UV, the best is using just a slight amount of UV-B from sources like reptile bulbs. Again this is my opinon based on a quick gathering of research abstracts but I definitely wouldn't count on it being a end all solution for IPM.

Consider this:

Does UV rays in nature eradicate pests?

Is a high enough dose of UV-B/C cost effective vs. other methods of pest control?

I don't know about the PM, that is one of the few malaises I have been spared, but there are very effective bio-friendly methods for killing spidermites and other critters, my favorite is the monstrous Lacewing Larvae ;)

Consider this:
very effective bio-friendly methods for killing spidermites and other critters, my favorite is the monstrous Lacewing Larvae ;)

Lacewings or Chrysoperla FTW. Fed an aphid to one not long ago.... they devour them... too bad they work best at larval stage and not adults,,, love natural predators. Good for you for mentioning that ;)

Back
Top Bottom