Aquaponics greenhouse

I was wonder because commons, comets and shubunkins ( slim bodied fish)can eat a lot without much repercussion. The deep bodied fish like orandas, ranchu and black moor are prone to bloat if over fed.
It looks like you have some white fish. These are good fish to watch for pond health. Since they lack melanin they show red steaks in their fins if something in the pond is off, like if the Nitrates are too high.
How often do you feed them? I'm guessing they get their share of insects and micro-crustaceans just from being outside.

Like I said, 60 + fish, all sizes and ages, some up to ten years old. They get fed different amounts seasonally, right now they get fed probably 4-6 times per day. Much less in spring and fall, when I taper the food up/down. The pond freezes over every winter, they get no food for about 3 months, and every spring they survive. They hibernate, for lack of the correct term. I keep an air stone in pond only for the winter months. The only die off I’ve ever had was when I tried 4 koi in there, they thrived for about 3 years and then mysteriously all died enmasse along with a few of the goldfish in December 5 years ago, just after the pond froze over. I run an ad on Kijiji, stating I will take anyone’s goldfish that have outgrown their tank, and retire them to the pond. Have picked up a dozen or two over the years that way.

They hibernate, for lack of the correct term.
Dormancy.

I think that you have enough bioload for your plants if your fish are eating that well. Your plants look good and they will stretch now that they are in 12/12.
Like I said you may have to tweak their diet but I don't want you to run into trouble by not giving them their seasonal foods. They need their easily digestible proteins for the winter..

Dormancy.

I think that you have enough bioload for your plants if your fish are eating that well. Your plants look good and they will stretch now that they are in 12/12.
Like I said you may have to tweak their diet but I don't want you to run into trouble by not giving them their seasonal foods. They need their easily digestible proteins for the winter..
I realized I never told you what they eat...they hate anything green, I’ve tried repeatedly, but what they eat is basically sold as trout food. 3 mm size pellets. They also pick at the algae plant growth within the pond, whether or not they are getting bugs or plant matter I do not know. They definitely eat bug larvae.

Attachments

• CF1B3A65-E489-4E7B-AFB3-447DF262BE4C.jpeg
    CF1B3A65-E489-4E7B-AFB3-447DF262BE4C.jpeg
    582.1 KB · Views: 107
  • D610CE79-1D25-4D06-8FD0-DB1B68C61690.jpeg
    D610CE79-1D25-4D06-8FD0-DB1B68C61690.jpeg
    629.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 7B488AED-04D9-46E2-9A2F-1D2B33B7120A.jpeg
    7B488AED-04D9-46E2-9A2F-1D2B33B7120A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 109
Consider adding small amounts of chelated iron to the water....it will make it a little brownish, and won't hurt the fish, but it is a fundamental building block that is absent in the aquaponics equation. I got mine from Zon.
Cal mag contains chelated iron, plants get a cup every 5 days sprinkled on top of the dual root zone soil. Thanks for the answer tho, it’s appreciated and tells me you read through my ramble lol.

I realized I never told you what they eat...they hate anything green, I’ve tried repeatedly, but what they eat is basically sold as trout food. 3 mm size pellets. They also pick at the algae plant growth within the pond, whether or not they are getting bugs or plant matter I do not know. They definitely eat bug larvae.
Yeah with a mature pond like that they are eating larva, algae, limpets and micro crustaceans. They look super healthy as does your pond.
I wonder if Repashy Soilent Green gel food premix would work for them. It has fish, crustaceans and kelp. Not sure if you can use it in Aquaponics systems with edible plants though. I'm sure a quick email to the company would clear up any questions.
I would try to get something with kelp at least for the iron.

Welcome.

Combination of many types, mostly common. There are even descendants of a black moor in there, veil tail, one that exhibits Oranda characteristics. Don’t know much about goldfish varieties honestly.

What/how do you feed your fish? Commercial or organic?

Just commercial feed, I’ve tried different times to feed them greens and stuff but they refuse to eat anything but Pellets.

Thanks.

Just commercial feed, I’ve tried different times to feed them greens and stuff but they refuse to eat anything but Pellets.

Have you ever tried putting feeder fish for the large GF
in there ? Goldfish are cannibal's.

Back
Top Bottom