Aquaponics greenhouse

Aquaman77

So after doing a lot of research I built an aquaponic greenhouse to house my plants in. A brief description... 12x12 by ten feet tall greenhouse is built beside a ten year old 2000L (500 gallon) goldfish pond. The water pumps out of the pond through a large particulate filter then a radial flow filter then is piped via gravity into a series of grow beds. (About 3000L/hr rate) I have 30 legal cannabis plants growing within. They are planted in dual root zone pots,( hydroton on bottom, then burlap, then topped with cocoa fibre/organic marine compost mix). Dual root zone system allows me to add any required nutrients to the soil on top without contamination of the fish water. After the water runs through and fills the beds, it is drained by a bell siphon system and returns to the pond. Your classic ebb and flow system. The greenhouse has a large internal blackout shade which enables me to control the light cycle. I am in week 6 of this grow and have just switched to 12/12 light cycle. Plant growth overall was slow to start, so I have been adding cal mag every five days, which I believe has helped. Growth rate has been mediocre and I was wondering what other additives I might try. I recently bought some rhizotonic and have started Foliar spraying, but it’s tricky because to deal with a small spider mite problem on a few plants I have been using a peroxide solution to Foliar spray the girls, and rhizotonic states on the label to not mix with peroxide products. I realize that this is a topic more suitable for a book than a blog, but if you’ve read this far I will recap my questions-
What’s a good organic mite killer other than peroxide
What other types of fish friendly fertilizer might I add to encourage plant growth
Do you want more pictures? 9009318E-1CA7-4A94-98D7-B981118CD9B3.jpeg9009318E-1CA7-4A94-98D7-B981118CD9B3.jpeg1200C4B5-9E97-4A8A-ABA0-324BA7DFBA7E.jpeg

Welcome Aqua, I'm sure someone will be along with answers. @bobrown14 do you have any options for a safe IPM.
I am striving for organic pest control, I have chives and cilantro planted in the beds as well as apparently they help keep mites at bay. I caught the mites early before they spun webs and have been physically removing along with peroxide/water/soap Foliar spray. It’s keeping them at bay but not 100%. For soap I have been using enzyme Komplete. It’s an organic cleaning solution that also contains mint, another home remedy to keep mites away. When I had a regular hydroponic setup it was much easier, just use bug be gone spray, but you gotta wonder if all that chemical insecticide is bad for you. I would like to get predator mites or something like that but it’s hard to get stuff like that here, I am not near a large metropolitan area.

I am striving for organic pest control, I have chives and cilantro planted in the beds as well as apparently they help keep mites at bay. I caught the mites early before they spun webs and have been physically removing along with peroxide/water/soap Foliar spray. It’s keeping them at bay but not 100%. For soap I have been using enzyme Komplete. It’s an organic cleaning solution that also contains mint, another home remedy to keep mites away. When I had a regular hydroponic setup it was much easier, just use bug be gone spray, but you gotta wonder if all that chemical insecticide is bad for you. I would like to get predator mites or something like that but it’s hard to get stuff like that here, I am not near a large metropolitan area.
AA19E27D-2D86-4504-AA6C-3C56A9347CE1.jpegFish are happy without pesticides

Nice set up and welcome.
Back in the day when i grew outside I had a 300 gallon fish tank full of dirty but beautiful fancy goldfish.
Once a week I always stirred up the bottom and siphoned out 25% of the water and fed my plants with that.
Fish poop makes strong and healthy plants.

Nice set up and welcome.
Back in the day when i grew outside I had a 300 gallon fish tank full of dirty but beautiful fancy goldfish.
Once a week I always stirred up the bottom and siphoned out 25% of the water and fed my plants with that.
Fish poop makes strong and healthy plants.
I have a drain at the bottom of the radial flow filter, I water all my plants with the runoff from that, and it is dirty water indeed. And yes, the plants love it.

For fertilizers in an Aquaponics system I've seen people control what the fish are eating. Food with more PK in it for flower etc. which would be fish based. I would add something crustacean , fish and kelp based to their feed. If you want to use actual fertilizers, I believe that you can use raw salt based fertilizers. Something akin to how you would feed a planted aquarium.
There are a couple really knowledgeable Aquaponics growers on YouTube, but I'm not sure if there are any cannabis specific ones on there.

There is a fair amount of info on YouTube regarding aquaponics in general but I’ve yet to stumble across a cannabis specific one that has much useful info, other than “here’s my setup with my beautiful plants”. In the dual root zone pots I have maybe a litre of cocoa fibre mixed with maybe 20% organic sea compost, was hoping that would lend balance to the nute requirements but i am thinking I should have added more.

There is a fair amount of info on YouTube regarding aquaponics in general but I’ve yet to stumble across a cannabis specific one that has much useful info, other than “here’s my setup with my beautiful plants”. In the dual root zone pots I have maybe a litre of cocoa fibre mixed with maybe 20% organic sea compost, was hoping that would lend balance to the nute requirements but i am thinking I should have added more.
You just want to make sure that you have enough bioload from your fish. What kind of fish and how many do you have?

I have well water, never any chlorine in my system. Rainwater helps keep the pond topped up, and about 20 minutes of garden hose/week.
That's excellent.

Back
Top Bottom