Atrain's Going Organic! - Prep & Grow Journal - Empty Compost Bins to Buds in a Jar

Re: Atrain's Going Organic! - Prep & Grow Journal - Empty Compost Bins to Buds in a J

You can info bomb here anytime.... we are all herre to learn and share. We are also all our own growers if someone reads something and decides to use it, or decides not to it is there choice but the more ideas and the more info shared the more peoples minds get to work and great things happen..... thank you all for sharing I have enjoyed the reads and learned a lot... and some I will be using soon

Re: Atrain's Going Organic! - Prep & Grow Journal - Empty Compost Bins to Buds in a J

20150412_174759.jpg
20150412_170717.jpg
20150412_170248.jpg
Another worm feeding today.... sweet peppers, banana, strawberry tops, potatoe, avacado peels, coffee grounds and topped off with this latest little creation.... I boiled 50 shrimp.tails for 5 min ( read it helps get unwanted oils out) then toasted with my egg shells on 200 for 30 min then blended and sprinkled over the entire bin.-

Them little creepy crawlers are eating better then some people i know hahahaha

I really enjoyed the Berkeley method share. I'll be trying that soon. 18 day thermophylic compost would be sweet! I don't mind turning the pile that frequently. I'll do mine mainly with horse manure and straw. After it cools down I will add all sorts of dry organic stuff I have laying around. Once it ages a bit I'll add worms to process it further. Gets me excited thinking about the whole process.

I'd have to say I agree with Rado, the above tea recipe looks like a bit much. Check out Microbe Organics for solid info on compost teas. I really like the info on this site, and I know many knowledgable organic growers refer to it for compost tea information.

My ACT recipe now that my finished compost bin has thawed is:

2 cup vermicompost home grown
1 hand full of rock dust
2-3 table spoons organic black strap molasses
5 gal water
5gal bucket with mini-microbulator with home made lid

basically compost, rock dust and molassas

I do make other compost teas for different times in my grow

I'm 45 days into flower so this past weekend was my last compost tea (above recipe) for the ladies. Next teas and this will be to harvest, is SST or sprouted seed teas with coconut water. That's it everything that's in the soil now will get the ladies to harvest.

Everything I add to soil now to the ladies at 45 days flower will be for the next run as I recycle my soil or no-til so just pull root ball and replace with new plant (I have them going now) and start over again just add in some more compost and top dress with EWC when transplanting new plants.

We make several types of compost outside - we have 4 piles going all the time. None are thermo tho... I don't use manure, only cause It's not that easy to get I have to go for a ride in the car. I let the worms do the work - takes longer but we've been at this for many years so our compost piles are mature = dig out and use the compost in raised bed/container gardening and replace with new green/brown material worms are our friends.

Cheers
BB

My ACT recipe now that my finished compost bin has thawed is:

2 cup vermicompost home grown
1 hand full of rock dust
2-3 table spoons organic black strap molasses
5 gal water
5gal bucket with mini-microbulator with home made lid

basically compost, rock dust and molassas

I do make other compost teas for different times in my grow

I'm 45 days into flower so this past weekend was my last compost tea (above recipe) for the ladies. Next teas and this will be to harvest, is SST or sprouted seed teas with coconut water. That's it everything that's in the soil now will get the ladies to harvest.

Everything I add to soil now to the ladies at 45 days flower will be for the next run as I recycle my soil or no-til so just pull root ball and replace with new plant (I have them going now) and start over again just add in some more compost and top dress with EWC when transplanting new plants.

We make several types of compost outside - we have 4 piles going all the time. None are thermo tho... I don't use manure, only cause It's not that easy to get I have to go for a ride in the car. I let the worms do the work - takes longer but we've been at this for many years so our compost piles are mature = dig out and use the compost in raised bed/container gardening and replace with new green/brown material worms are our friends.

Cheers
BB

I like your approach and commitment to compost.

I'm curious about the rock dust. I don't imagine the micros absorb much of the rock minerals during brewing. Do you find it easier to "water in" the rock dust in a tea than just sprinkling rock dust on the surface?

BB, have you ever considered not pulling the root ball? I just cut my plant right above the soil surface and left the remains there to become part of the organic matter. I just popped the new seed off to the side. This way I don't disrupt the mycorrhizal networks at all.

Interesting approach sue... seems legit. Wonder how long it takes for yhem to start breaking down. I know the roots on the cheese and haze were massive, reckon it would impede new root development?

I believe when you leave the roots in the soil, all that lovely root building material is available for the next set of roots.

Pruning above ground plant is to planted ecosystem
As flower is to plant

One does not need to remove the entire plant to harvest a flower :)

20150413_150439.jpg
20150413_150510-1.jpg

Well as anyone who follows my journals knows I love pics so here a pic of the 10 gallons of horse shit I added to the heap today lol

The temp after the first load came up and began to "cook" at around 100 degrees. I want it between 140 and 150 so I added another load and well toss it around every 3 days then check temp after a few weeks and se whats up then.

Heres what were looking like as of now.

I believe when you leave the roots in the soil, all that lovely root building material is available for the next set of roots.

Pruning above ground plant is to planted ecosystem
As flower is to plant

One does not need to remove the entire plant to harvest a flower :)

Rad, you spoil us with your eloquence.

I have no idea how long it takes for those roots to break down Atrain. What I do know is that leaving the old rootball in has no detrimental effect on future generations. You preserve transport and communications networks that can now decompose, leaving behind pathways for water, nutrients and air to find their way swiftly to the new roots.

Rad summed it up in a much more interesting way. :love: I just get passionate and can't stay quiet. :laughtwo::green_heart:

How crazy are we that we can appreciate a nice pile of horse droppings. LOL!

Screenshot_2015-04-20-13-05-32-1.png
Hello all, great news today. The atrain family finance dept (wife) has granted additional funds to my little grow projects so ill be moving to a new closet and making some real upgrades. This is the kit I found ill most likely be ordering it in just a few days.

The all organic from scratch run will still be coming but looks like ill have time to make a test run when this kit arrives and I get power and ventilation run to my closet. Stay tuned guys

If the grow isn't based around the soil (los) then just get a good draining soil! Fox Farm oceans forest would work or pro mix or roots organic, etc etc etc

So you're going to show us how it's done with HPS? I can't wait Atrain. Will you do side lighting with CFLs as well? Light is the engine that runs the grow, as you have already taught us.

I dont know about showing hiw its done lol, but im going to give her hell trying...... im gonna go with some pro mix soil with some of my vermicompost mixed in then use the AN nutes and I got some 2gal airpots im going to grow in. After that my soil should hopefully be ready and ill go to 5 gal again and LOS. My tent is 3x3 so if theres room for cfl side lighting itll be in there, just dont know since ill be running 4 plants at once this time.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom