Atrain's Going Organic! - Prep & Grow Journal - Empty Compost Bins to Buds in a Jar

Re: Atrain's Going Organic! - Prep & Grow Journal - Empty Compost Bins to Buds in a J

main-strain-sour-crack.jpg
Short_Stuff_Boutique_Spanish_Diesel-300x300.jpg
logo16.png
ice-cool.png

Mephisto: Sour Crack Auto and Sweet Seeds: Ice Cool Auto will be my next run and if I can fit three in the spanish diesel will go too. Just dont know since ill be going to 7 gal pots and adding more lighting if there will be room

Re: Atrain's Going Organic! - Prep & Grow Journal - Empty Compost Bins to Buds in a J

Ok today is time to feed and tend to the worm bin. Ill turn the worm bins over bout every 3 to 4 weeks. Some people feed on one side for easier harvesting but I have a screen with 1/8 in holes in it to harvest with so the whole bin will be dumped so I feed the entire bin. Plus I have 2000 worms in here so its a little over kill for my bin. Today ill be feeding an apple and adding egg shell to my bins. The eggshell is benificial for calium in the soil but also helps the worms to digest the food in there gizzard. To make it easier I baked all of my eggshells on 200 for 20 min then placed them in a grinder. My grinder is not too efficient so ill be getting another but this will do for this week.
20150331_161246.jpg
20150331_161647.jpg

I open the bin and turned evry thing over to keep it from becoming to wet or soggy on bottom and becoming anaerobic
Then spread/sift the egg shell powder over the entire surface of the bin then spread the apple out on top as well. I cut the apple up in thin slices (found in the yard one of the kids didnt eat all of it) at first they dont consume them very quickly but as soon as they get a little mush to them you wpuld be suprised how fast 2000 worms can eat an apple lol.
20150331_162138.jpg
20150331_161743.jpg
20150331_162226.jpg

Lastly I moistened the top layer as well as my soggy cardboard and placed it back over the top of the bin
20150331_162240.jpg

Then clamped the lid back on and placed back in the downstairs bathroom (ssshhhh she still hasnt found I brought it back inside)

I would just feed them the eggshells without being heated. I just crush them up by hand then throw the pieces in the bin.
They don't need the food pureed.

The bin shouldn't be getting soggy. Unless you're adding water (don't).

I basically put enough food for them to get rid of in a day or so before I add more.
I keep the extra in some old plastic containers.

They eat lots of things, just not meat and dairy.

If outside put them some place where it won't get over 85F.

They also shouldn't be trying to get out of the bin,
if they are trying to get out then the environment is hostile to them, too wet, too dry, etc.

Thanks for your input. I moved the bin inside (constant 70) and they had a few escape at first but I placed a light over the bin and since they got settled in they have been great. Ill be adding more of a variety of food later just had the apple on hand today.. thankss for keeping an eye on my experiment it is much appreciated

They like bread, most food scraps, easy on citrus.
I hear they really like the mystery foods (you know, the ones that get shoved to the back of the fridge and grow fur)
again no meat or dairy. If veggies go bad or are too soft, that's perfect for them, as well as any peelings, bad spots cut off, etc.

Edit to add: They also love to eat cardboard, old egg cartons (cardboard not plastic), newspaper, etc.

I keep my worm-bound produce in the freezer. It helps things break down faster because the freezing shatters the cell walls. Excellent write up atrain. Reps!

So thinking about worms atrain. The best way to amend the pots is a top dressing of EWC. Growing your own means you get to control the input. Right now I'm getting ready to begin playing with HB, which has me thinking about increasing the mineralization of LOS just a bit more. It occurs to me that the smartest ways to approach that is by some rock dust top dressings but also through regular light sprinklings of rock dust into the worm bin.

What do you think? I haven't yet worked out what rock dust combinations would be most beneficial, but it's an interesting idea. Since I'm running no-tills I don't want to recharge in the conventional way. I want to reinforce that SFW instead of tear it apart, so Worms are the way to go.

Funny story: I carried boxes home from the post office today. Heavy boxes. My brother was standing outside the building having a cigarette when I paused at the door to get my second breath to make it up the 40 steps to our apartment. He asked me what I had there and I had to laugh when I realized the answer was "rocks and worm poop". Gardeners. Go figure. We're a strange bunch, eh? :laughtwo::green_heart:

Rocks and worm poop hahaha.
When i did it for fish I worms i added rocks to the bottom with a layer of soil on top then all the food waste, tiny bits of cardboard, worms, and then a lil bit more pebbles threw out for air flow to the little creepy crawlers.

I havnt looked into rock dust yet sue but... since its starting of fishing season here I have been looking into ways to fertilize with fish... I dont want to add whole fish to my compost bins but what I have looked into is scaling the fish then drying them the same way or even with the eggs that I toast before blending that wpuld be a way to add fish to the soil and vermicompost along with the added calcium.... what are you thoughts on this

I havnt looked into rock dust yet sue but... since its starting of fishing season here I have been looking into ways to fertilize with fish... I dont want to add whole fish to my compost bins but what I have looked into is scaling the fish then drying them the same way or even with the eggs that I toast before blending that wpuld be a way to add fish to the soil and vermicompost along with the added calcium.... what are you thoughts on this

I think that sounds very interesting atrain. I've been trying to figure out how to get fish matter in without using hydrolysate. Kelp is a strong enough perfume in the small apartment. I wasn't looking forward to fish smells too. This may be the way to do it. You are brilliant. We need to look into this - the proper way to introduce fish into the bins. Maybe ferment it first? I know I read once about how to kill the fish smell in the compost heap. Let me look through my notes. I'll get back later tonight. They're all at home and I'm not.

I have put shrimp shells in successfully With little to no smells by boiling them lightly and then toasting them with my egg shells on 200 for 20 min I think the next fish harvest I will start with the scales only the same way and if it works out I may go to scaling the fish then toasting the scales and skin then blending with eggshells to a powder.

20150407_1032591.jpg

Fed the little wigglers today. It was a mix of sweet peppers,cucumber,tomatoe,spinach,bread,and potatoe.... I also added a little more "brown" material as they have eaten most of the original bedding now
20150407_103420.jpg

I also turned the bin over and miced it up again to prevent it from becoming anaerobic
20150407_103447.jpg

The bottom of the bin was covered in this "black gold". If I was only top dressing I would be able to harvest this now but since I have a ways to go and I plan on using 10 percent vermicompost in my original mix ima let them go for a bit before harvest
20150407_103527.jpg
20150407_183839.jpg

Also my compost is cooking now but not as hot as I want after adding the cow manure. Ive had significant rain the past few days so ill be covering pile before the next rain to regulate the moisture to keep it at a more ideal range and if the temps dont go up ill be adding another load of "green" material to the heap

Good work on that compost heap atrain. I would suggest you increase the ratio of vermicompost some. The advantage is the enhancement from the worms' digestive systems that you can't get any other way.

I envy you the huge bin to worm farm in. Our place is small enough that the space those totes take up will be filled with cooking soil.

I just remembered it's Spring and I could put it outside on the balcony. :laughtwo: I need to see if I can find the money to buy more worms.

You should be able to take some of the worms from your old bin to start a new bin.
They will keep multiplying to the size of the container and food supply.

I mean their whole life is eat, poop, procreate. LoL

Back
Top Bottom