Atrain's Going Organic! - Prep & Grow Journal - Empty Compost Bins to Buds in a Jar

Re: Atrain's Going Organic! - Prep & Grow Journal - Empty Compost Bins to Buds in a J

20150324_164253.jpg

H

Ok due to not heating with compost I made a few modifications... I opened it up a little for more air flow to center as well as double the size. Ill be adding a load of cow and horse manure tom. And just to add a side note I will not be using water from a hose or tap for anything. The pile is staying moist with rain water for now when summer hits ill be using pond or well water. May not make a huge dif but dont want to take a chance of chlorine killing any of the microorganisms

Re: Atrain's Going Organic! - Prep & Grow Journal - Empty Compost Bins to Buds in a J

Very nice atrain. I applaud the water decision. That pond water will be an excellent addition. I'm assuming you have many fishes enhancing that pond water?

Very nice atrain. I applaud the water decision. That pond water will be an excellent addition. I'm assuming you have many fishes enhancing that pond water?

Yes mam there are plenty in there I have it stocked with catfish and bass. They are both very tasty!

Ok after researching more on the leaf pile for composting I found that shredded leaves compost much faster and also produse more for the area used so I dumped my more than full bin and got the lawn mower out and ran it over. In aboit 10 min I had it nicely shredded bit it reduced down to less than half the volume from before so I guess its back to the holler to collect more. My pond needed a little cleaning around the edges so I extracted a bucket of moss from the banks with a steel rake and added it along with the fan leaves stems and root system of the white widow as an offering to the cannabis gods for the next harvest lol ive been a little lazy the past few days so I havnt added the cow manure but maybe this weekend or first of next week . That should really get things cooking

Nice!
I'm about to go fill up a long bed pickup with horse shit as soon as it thaws enough for me to open my cattle gate and drive it in the backyard. I am looking forward to making lots of thermo compost this season!

Atrain, have you considered starting a leaf mold pile as well?

I have been reading about the benifits of leaf mould and use as mulch in living soil I may give it a go I def have planty of leaves your thought on this would be appreciated.... and that sucks its still iced lol.... I NEVER get ice where im from its been 70 all week so perfect time to be doing these things

image16356.jpg
image16358.jpg
image16359.jpg
image16360.jpg

Leaf mold is great!
These pics are of a pile I dug into in the Midwest that had been added to for many many years. I shipped a few boxes of it back home to CO and added it to my big smart full of aspen leaves that had already been sitting a while. It should all be done this summer I think. Here it is tonight.
image22119.jpg

It's sat in my cold garage all winter, It's thawed now and seemingly "re-activating"

Yeah leaves are free, leaf mold is excellent stuff, there's no reason to not start piling up leaves if you have room. Takes for ever but once you have multiple piles going you can get some whenever you need it in a couple years, or less if you use that mower and tend to the pile a little, like just keeping it moist and maybe turning it over every so often. Leaf mold is a slow fungal dominated compost, so you can't cheat and add a bunch of manure to heat it up and compost it faster. Slow and steady. :)

I think it's really cool and unique to grow journals the way you started this one. You start with a compost pile and said you used to use MG and AN nutes and now you're growing organically. Kudos on the quick study!

Yep I had problems on and off with the MG ( still got anazing yields) bit I cant grow again for a while so I figured I had plenty of time this way .... I could start a leaf mold pile I just dont know if it will be ready in time but ill give it a shot... I was reading 6 to 12 months

Well, it won't be ready in time most likely. But it will be ready in time for something down the road for you. I would recommend using leaf mould as a component of a soil mix, rather than a component of the mulch.

Where your at, is there any old piles of leaves like the one pictured above? These folks just piled it up on the bank for 20-30 years and no ones ever touched it and they don't use any kind of fertilizer on there property. I asked permission to dig down and take some and permission was quickly granted.

Try that?

20150329_110349.jpg

Finally got off my ass and gathered up these ladiEs donation to the compost bin!!!
20150329_113724-1.jpg

After loading the trailer before dumping the bin and spreading out I tried to break up any clumps as best I could with the shovel to help speed things up
20150329_115244.jpg

After spreading compost and mixing in cow manure I added about 7 gal of pond water to the mix and stirred again then placed back into the bin (alot more work than most anticipate) its still kinda on the dry side but the storms are moving in so well let the rain water do the rest
20150329_120655.jpg

E And this is where we are now. Its mixed at maybe 1 to 3 ratio so according to what most say there's a little too much com manure...ill be adding a few more loads of mulched leaves if it becomes a problem.

Let me know what yall think all input is welcome pro or not. Were mostly learning this process together

I think you're doing an excellent job atrain. It IS a lot more work than you consider when you start. The payoff will be fabulous though. You should start one of those leaf piles CO is encouraging, or find an existing one. The stuff at the bottom of those piles is gold.

I see. Long-term planning. Good.

Atrain, if you hit his user name and go to the profile page you can choose "ignore" and he vanishes. I suggest we. Make it a habit at every opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom