Auto Seedling, when to feed?

garybo

Hi gang,

Looking for advice on when to start feeding an auto seedling, I currently have a few going on 2 weeks old, complete with the cotyledon and first true set of leaves.

They are currently in a jiffy pods and will eventually be planted in soil, either 5 or 2.5 gal fabric pot.

At what ppm should I start the nutes at?

I’m thinking around 150 ppm which is half of what I would feed a photo plant.

Thanks

Hey Gary, so most soil has nutrients for about two weeks already in them.....so I'd say transplant them into fresh soil and they will start getting the already available nutrients. And then in about two weeks give them they're first half dose feed to ease them into a feeding schedule.

Hi gang,

Looking for advice on when to start feeding an auto seedling, I currently have a few going on 2 weeks old, complete with the cotyledon and first true set of leaves.

They are currently in a jiffy pods and will eventually be planted in soil, either 5 or 2.5 gal fabric pot.

At what ppm should I start the nutes at?

I’m thinking around 150 ppm which is half of what I would feed a photo plant.

Thanks
Hey there garybo. Congrats on the new girls. What kinda nutes you planning on running this grow?

NTH

Duh, I should have better prepared with this thread, bad me.

My soil is home made. Have been using it going on 3 yrs for my photo plants. I feed the soil with Recharge every couple weeks. The nute I use is Mega Crop.

I bought some organic soil couple days ago to put the auto's in (along with the jiffy pod) as a started soil/pot then transfer into a larger pot utilizing my leftover soil from the photo's grows.

Thanks for the questions.
Most soil mixes have starter nutes in them, but amount is dependent on brand. Feed seedlings at whatever rate the nute manufacturer recommends. If there are no instructions for seedlings, my advice would be start at 1/4 to 1/2 strength, go slow.
My thoughts as well.
These auto's are more of a challenge to grow, if I loose any of them, I still have a beautiful group of photos in veg.

Does recharge actually do anything for you if you are feeding mc? It's my understanding that mc just goes right into the plant with the water, no middleman bacteria involved. If that's so, then what effect does adding microbes give you?

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, just feel like maybe you could save yourself that money.

Does recharge actually do anything for you if you are feeding mc? It's my understanding that mc just goes right into the plant with the water, no middleman bacteria involved. If that's so, then what effect does adding microbes give you?

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, just feel like maybe you could save yourself that money.
Good question @Sueet , I wonder myself
I pre-charged my coco this time round, but I'm still seeing the need for full feed, so is it doing anything?
However, given anecdotal affirmations, perhaps it does some tiny thing which we can't observe
I'll let you know around the end of September :cool:

Even the great homemade soil is not being used by these plants being fed MC. MC takes over the entire feeding cycle, and that soil will be as pristine as it was when the grow started. The microbes are doing what they can, but getting no feedback or instructions from the plant, since it is completely fed through the water with the MC, they actually add nothing to the grow.

Hey Sueet, good hearing from you. The reason for recharge is, see below the quote from the manufacturer:

Recharge provides Mycorrhizae​

"Mycorrhizae attach themselves to your root system, seeking out water and nutrients your roots wouldn’t normally be able to access. They help create a more expansive root system, ensuring your plants can get the most out of whatever soil you put them in. Bigger roots mean bigger fruits."

I consider recharge as soil feeding and mc is feeding the plant, if that makes since.

I bought the stuff couple years ago and still have plenty left to use It takes 2.5 teaspoons per 5 gal water. I feed it to the soil something like once a month, substituting it for a plant feeding during a feeding cycle.

Thanks for your interest.

Regarding when to feed... MC does have dosage recommendations for seedlings and I would use that during the first week of the auto's life, because the auto really isn't going to do a lot or need a lot of nutrient during that initial phase. Once the auto starts growing, it does it furiously, and I am sure that it can use a regular feeding of the nutes. Go for the MC green, and pay no mind that it is an auto.
I fed my auto a full dose of Geoflora Nutrients days after it reached the surface. In the organic feeding system, the roots and the microbes work out how much feed the plant actually wants, and I don't worry that there is an excess there... I just waited a few more days to feed again. In a forced nutrient system, like MC, you have to be more careful... but again, going for the perfect MC green will show you what to do. If you continue to use 1/4 nutrients, you will not be doing your auto any favors... just be careful in the begining.

Regarding when to feed... MC does have dosage recommendations for seedlings and I would use that during the first week of the auto's life, because the auto really isn't going to do a lot or need a lot of nutrient during that initial phase. Once the auto starts growing, it does it furiously, and I am sure that it can use a regular feeding of the nutes. Go for the MC green, and pay no mind that it is an auto.
I fed my auto a full dose of Geoflora Nutrients days after it reached the surface. In the organic feeding system, the roots and the microbes work out how much feed the plant actually wants, and I don't worry that there is an excess there... I just waited a few more days to feed again. In a forced nutrient system, like MC, you have to be more careful... but again, going for the perfect MC green will show you what to do. If you continue to use 1/4 nutrients, you will not be doing your auto any favors... just be careful in the begining.
Rock on Em! My thoughts as well just more eloquently stated! Peace.

NTH

Hey Sueet, good hearing from you. The reason for recharge is, see below the quote from the manufacturer:

Recharge provides Mycorrhizae​

"Mycorrhizae attach themselves to your root system, seeking out water and nutrients your roots wouldn’t normally be able to access. They help create a more expansive root system, ensuring your plants can get the most out of whatever soil you put them in. Bigger roots mean bigger fruits."

I consider recharge as soil feeding and mc is feeding the plant, if that makes since.

I bought the stuff couple years ago and still have plenty left to use It takes 2.5 teaspoons per 5 gal water. I feed it to the soil something like once a month, substituting it for a plant feeding during a feeding cycle.

Thanks for your interest.
ok... you are right. There is myco in there. These fungi will attach to the roots and give you a bit of a benefit, but again, you are using a veganic system where the nutrients flow into the plant directly with the water... its not exactly eliminating the need for myco in the soil, but its not nearly as important for them to be there as in a non veganic grow.

Soil does not feed. Microbes do not feed the soil, they feed the roots. You are not hurting anything, but there is no need to feed your soil. I think you are mostly wasting your money using recharge along with MC.

Emilya, thanks for your input, as usual your savvy is worthy of serious thought.

Yes, I realize that soil requires feed, it was a metaphor intended for the roots. My bad.

Hi gary. I start feeding my autos MC when they have their first true set of leaves. I made up this MC Feeding Chart for autoflowers:

Mega Crop Feeding Chart for Photos & Autos.jpg

It's @MrSauga - approved. :battingeyelashes:

Recharge has ZERO nute value, you can you 5x the recommended dose to no ill effects.

Back
Top Bottom