Should I feed seedlings to runoff?

JDwinell

I'm growing in soil and am confused on feeding to runoff with two small seedlings one in a 3 gal and one in 5 gal fabric pot with top layer top soil and rest coco loco potting mix... I know my large veg plant I can feed to runoff but not sure bout seedlings.???

IMG_20210214_090638759_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210214_090658059_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210214_090647088_HDR.jpg

Hey J,

Welcome to 420. Theres no need to water to runoff on a tiny seedling - it looks like your are using too much water and watering too frequently. A spray bottle works nice, one or two pumps is all and not every day at that. Roots can’t breathe in constantly wet soil

You said soil but be advised that soil and coco are not the same and requir different styles of watering vs feeding so to we need more info to be able to help you. How to ask for grow support

more people will stop by later

coco loco confuses a lot of folks, but it really is a soil. You shouldn't ever put a seedling in a huge container like you have done, that is the problem. You definitely should not water to runoff... that is way more water than your plant could ever handle. This is why we start in small containers, because of this watering problem and so we can build a rootball. Without some extraordinary watering methods, there is no way you are going to form a rootball here. I wrote a thing about how to water a plant stuck in an ocean of soil... again, I hope you read it. Basically it says the roots chase the water and you need to water the outside edges more than any other spot. It also warns you not to use too much water.

I already advised you of all of this and now you are looking for second opinions... I don't blame you... I would too. While those opinions filter on in here, please read the article that I wrote specifically addressing this problem, just in case it might hold the answers you seek.

...did you also mention you mixed media? You have soil on top and cocoloco on the bottom?

Emilya says its considered a soil as well, but it leaves me wondering if the CocoLoco requires a different pH than your top soil on top. Let me try and find the info...
Screenshot_2021-02-16-10-00-35-1.png

@Seniorweeder

We have been telling you your plants are in coco and need pHing. That info has now been defunct thanks to @Emilya . I no longer believe your pH is off and your plant is only hungry.

I know what you mean in my post now

soil hey ""?? do you think it makes better smoke ?

i start in soil , so much trouble i got , especially over water / under water , so hard to find the sweet spot

coco , you just water when you want , dont let it dry

i am very curious on the quality at the end of product compared from coco to soil

you must not used a lot of nutrient as well compare to me ( cost me a fortune )

very interesting

:passitleft: :lot-o-toke:

I'm growing in soil and am confused on feeding to runoff with two small seedlings one in a 3 gal and one in 5 gal fabric pot with top layer top soil and rest coco loco potting mix... I know my large veg plant I can feed to runoff but not sure bout seedlings.???

IMG_20210214_090638759_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210214_090658059_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210214_090647088_HDR.jpg
that's such a huge container for that tiny girl , i run into problem many time by doing this

i fins out , tiny , transplant , small , transplant , medium , transplant and finally big transplant work the best , because the root are not struggling to find what they need

when to big container with tiny plant , the medium at top gets dry very quick , especially in soil , then the inside is still wet but the roots of plant cannot reach it , so it create a problem for the plant to develop , especially when so small

that was my 2 cents ....

Hey J,

Welcome to 420. Theres no need to water to runoff on a tiny seedling - it looks like your are using too much water and watering too frequently. A spray bottle works nice, one or two pumps is all and not every day at that. Roots can’t breathe in constantly wet soil

You said soil but be advised that soil and coco are not the same and requir different styles of watering vs feeding so to we need more info to be able to help you. How to ask for grow support

more people will stop by later
coco all the way !! you can water 5 time a day if you want . :lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke:

Back
Top Bottom