Autos: Selling feature for companies or just a matter of taste?

Remystemple

I'm in my first grow now. doing a ton of reading and i see a lot of people are growing auto budding plants. My first impression of them was " wow " that's amazing. Then after thinking about it for a bit it clicked that if i grew autos I would have no say in when the flowering started, and that made me feel uneasy.

Maybe it's because i'm a new grower and would worry that i couldn't get them up to size before they flipped the switch on me. And if i messed something up i would have limited time to recover from it before going to flower.

So maybe they're better for the experienced grower? or Medical grow facility? I could totally understand that.

But why would average grower decide to give up that much control over they're own grow? Or I'm missing something or just don't fully understand. And that's why I'm here. Learning.

What does everyone think? I still feel like it's a matter of taste or opinion.

Well that’s a very good question my friend I simply choose auto flower plants because they are easy to grow hence auto flowering and you don’t have to change the light schedule photocell plants are 18/6-12/12 an auto can go 20/4 or 24/0 so no need to flip lighting. So you can grow as many plants as you want with out worries of when to flip the light I’ll do 6 auto plants a week apart. And never have to change anything. Now you can’t do that with photo cell plants. But it’s true they flip when they want to you could veg for a week and they start to flower or 2 months then flower. But the big idea is lighting schedule doesn’t have to change so you can just keep packing them in there with no need to change.

Now that is the the smartest newb post probably in years.

Autos are not for newbs. They are much harder to grow and unless you know what you are doing get much less yield. You need years of experience and real knowledge to get the same yield from an auto. And regulars are much easier to grow for many reasons. Hence the typical higher yield.

They are fun and I am going to pop down probably 10 to 20 this year, I have around 40 still collecting dust...but they will never yield what I get from the regs I will run right next to them because I can run them how I want and stress em hard.

Autos are fun, they will stick around but they offer no advantage. You can bloom a clone at any time. They are a novelty for people who like to play around which is most of us. But if you want to just grow for mass you clone.

But growing weed is easy so go for it. Many have no problems.

I find the easier I keep it the better yield I have.

Now that is the the smartest newb post probably in years.

Autos are not for newbs. They are much harder to grow and unless you know what you are doing get much less yield. You need years of experience and real knowledge to get the same yield from an auto. And regulars are much easier to grow for many reasons. Hence the typical higher yield.

They are fun and I am going to pop down probably 10 to 20 this year, I have around 40 still collecting dust...but they will never yield what I get from the regs I will run right next to them because I can run them how I want and stress em hard.

Autos are fun, they will stick around but they offer no advantage. You can bloom a clone at any time. They are a novelty for people who like to play around which is most of us. But if you want to just grow for mass you clone.

But growing weed is easy so go for it. Many have no problems.

I find the easier I keep it the better yield I have.

Can they be cloned?

Not really. Technically yea but it doesn't matter and doesn't help.

Autos are cross breed with a type if Hemp which genetically evolved to flower not because it is fall but ...like grass...because it has been above ground long enough.

So autos will flower when they have been above ground long enough or have been stressed a bit hard.

If you clone the mother must recover and the baby has the same genetic timeline. It will flower soon and not be worth it.

Autos are a one time shot. You have to treat it right. Any issues in a normal plant technically, no matter how bad, you can cut it back and re veg. I have reveged after bloom and gotten multiple blooms off a single plant. Autos are one and done.

In an auto every mistake can not be recovered easily and impacts yield.

They are fun to do but not a learning vehicle. Just be glad you can buy femd threse days.

Not really. Technically yea but it doesn't matter and doesn't help.

Autos are cross breed with a type if Hemp which genetically evolved to flower not because it is fall but ...like grass...because it has been above ground long enough.

So autos will flower when they have been above ground long enough or have been stressed a bit hard.

If you clone the mother must recover and the baby has the same genetic timeline. It will flower soon and not be worth it.

Autos are a one time shot. You have to treat it right. Any issues in a normal plant technically, no matter how bad, you can cut it back and re veg. I have reveged after bloom and gotten multiple blooms off a single plant. Autos are one and done.

In an auto every mistake can not be recovered easily and impacts yield.

They are fun to do but not a learning vehicle. Just be glad you can buy femd threse days.

Very interesting info. Thanks a lot. I might try them some time after a few more grows.

I incorporate autos into my grow. I love them. So, I just harvested 10 photos that vegged for two months. Now, I will clean my room and pop some new photos and some autos. I can veg my photos for two plus months and have the autos flowering in the same room. About the time that the autos are ready to give me a different strain to try, I flip the photos to flower and then get a bumper crop of flower. I just picked up some from the Seedsman Halloween sale.
They work great if you do not have a separate veg room.
But you are correct that you have to really know your plants to time nute requirements. Lst and topping will help the autos hit their full potential

I incorporate autos into my grow. I love them. So, I just harvested 10 photos that vegged for two months. Now, I will clean my room and pop some new photos and some autos. I can veg my photos for two plus months and have the autos flowering in the same room. About the time that the autos are ready to give me a different strain to try, I flip the photos to flower and then get a bumper crop of flower. I just picked up some from the Seedsman Halloween sale.
They work great if you do not have a separate veg room.
But you are correct that you have to really know your plants to time nute requirements. Lst and topping will help the autos hit their full potential

So is there a sweet spot for the humidity and temp?

So is there a sweet spot for the humidity and temp?
I just grow them all at 55-60% humidity. I have not had any issues. I keep my temps aroun 82f with lights on and low 70’s at dark. The plants that are in veg are a little cooler than the autos because I am not using an intense light on them.

I just grow them all at 55-60% humidity. I have not had any issues. I keep my temps aroun 82f with lights on and low 70’s at dark. The plants that are in veg are a little cooler than the autos because I am not using an intense light on them.

do you up the light intensity on them for budding? and how do you decide how much light to give an auto? that's something that boggles me o_O

Naw they are easy to grow. Go for it. Just not as good unless you know what you are doing and even then... meh.

60 is really the min for any good cannabis. Try to keep it above there period until late bloom.

I do the same and drop em to run in the space but I will run out of space either way.

They are cool but no point for a newb. There is extra to know and already pleanty to screw up.

One of the funniest things I have read on here is how they are easier because you dont have to control the light.

Man...so much to be misunderstood about what is actually happening.

The deal with autos is you want to do the exact opposite of what a newb wants to do.

You want to feed moderately to prevent early bloom for one. You want a cold light medium. You want to understand why the pH is dropping in the chart below which is meant for hydro.

A regular you are in control and can do whatever you want. An auto is an auto and automatically on it's own does what it wants. You are just coaxing it along. You have to know how you be a bull fighter or it will run you down.

But that is a bit exaggerated...growing weed is easy.

Naw they are easy to grow. Go for it. Just not as good unless you know what you are doing and even then... meh.

60 is really the min for any good cannabis. Try to keep it above there period until late bloom.

I do the same and drop em to run in the space but I will run out of space either way.

They are cool but no point for a newb. There is extra to know and already pleanty to screw up.

One of the funniest things I have read on here is how they are easier because you dont have to control the light.

The deal with autos is you want to do the exact opposite of what a newb wants to do.

You want to feed moderately to prevent early bloom for one. You want a cold light medium. You want to understand why the pH is dropping in the chart below which is meant for hydro.

A regular you are in control and can do whatever you want. An auto is an auto and automatically on it's own does what it wants. You are just coaxing it along. You have to know how you be a bull fighter or it will run you down.

Cool chart. I can’t believe I have not seen this yet. Thanks for sharing

When I first learned about autos I thought they’d mostly be used outdoors to get multiple harvests. I too am surprised they are so popular indoors for all the same reasons stated above.

:passitleft:

I post it a fee times a week honestly ;)

I didn't make it, experts who are trying to sell the most expensive system out there say this is how to run it.

I got that from a website for the best DWC hydro setup out there for cannabis.

I have made my own and copied many. That one...is meaty and there is a lot to understand there. It is the truth and if you try it you will have great rewards.

Try it.

do you up the light intensity on them for budding? and how do you decide how much light to give an auto? that's something that boggles me o_O
I up the light intensity as they are flowering. They will do great under a 600 watt hps or a good led, like a mars reflector 960.

I post it a fee times a week honestly ;)

I didn't make it, experts who are trying to sell the most expensive system out there say this is how to run it.

I got that from a website for the best DWC hydro setup out there for cannabis.

I have made my own and copied many. That one...is meaty and there is a lot to understand there. It is the truth and if you try it you will have great rewards.

Try it.
I will definitely copy this chart and use it. Good stuff

wow. i'm glad i asked lol. because i will try them one day, but even as a newb i realized that not being able to control the light switch is not good for me at this point. I'll be referring back to this thread when i do.

Thanks for taking the time broski.

Autos are a one time shot.
The only exception is you can make seeds to keep the genetics rather than make a futile attempt to clone an auto.

You have been given some fantastic info and Village Idiot is basically telling my story. I bought into the ease of running my garden at 18/6 and popping new seeds whenever I wanted. Well fast forward several grows and I am living all the potential pitfalls VI says up there.
Do yourself a favor and run photos primarily mixed with the random auto freebie you get here and there.

One more thing: while that chart up there is bad ass, if you want to understand why the temp and RH numbers are what they are check out this article on Vapor Pressure Deficit I just wrote tonight:

Vapor Pressure Deficit and What It Means to You!

The only exception is you can make seeds to keep the genetics rather than make a futile attempt to clone an auto.

You have been given some fantastic info and Village Idiot is basically telling my story. I bought into the ease of running my garden at 18/6 and popping new seeds whenever I wanted. Well fast forward several grows and I am living all the potential pitfalls VI says up there.
Do yourself a favor and run photos primarily mixed with the random auto freebie you get here and there.

One more thing: while that chart up there is bad ass, if you want to understand why the temp and RH numbers are what they are check out this article on Vapor Pressure Deficit I just wrote tonight:

Vapor Pressure Deficit and What It Means to You!

Thank you. I'll be checking out your paper for sure. "auto freebie" i like that lol..

Back
Top Bottom