Autos: Selling feature for companies or just a matter of taste?

Thank you. I'll be checking out your paper for sure. "auto freebie" i like that lol..
Haha! You know what I mean, you get cool freebies when you order seeds and often there are autos in there.:thumb:

Don't get me wrong autos are fun plants to grow. It's really not just about the autoflowers sensitivity to stress that makes an autoflower grow more challenging, it's the knowledge you need to gain to properly grow this plant and that comes from experience. If you dont start dialing in your room's environmental settings, you will not be growing the absolute best cannabis you can. That takes time to learn your specific rooms nuances. Autoflowers will do quite well in the proper environment, but most "newbs" won't likely have that. There's the hitch.:slide:

No one mentioned speed, or did I miss it? I'll grow both photos and autos, but predominantly autos. I can harvest about a month sooner than growing a photo and then flipping to flower. The shorter time to harvest let's me get more crops in a year and allows me to try more strains. I don't have a lot of space, my tent is only 32"x32", and cant dedicate a separate veg and bloom tent. Back to part of the original posters question, I do think seed companies like the idea of not being able to clone autos, so it leads to more sales.

No one mentioned speed, or did I miss it? I'll grow both photos and autos, but predominantly autos. I can harvest about a month sooner than growing a photo and then flipping to flower. The shorter time to harvest let's me get more crops in a year and allows me to try more strains. I don't have a lot of space, my tent is only 32"x32", and cant dedicate a separate veg and bloom tent. Back to part of the original posters question, I do think seed companies like the idea of not being able to clone autos, so it leads to more sales.

No you make a great point there farside05. There is value to autos for sure in the speed department. Sounds like an interesting grow you have going on!

No you make a great point there farside05. There is value to autos for sure in the speed department. Sounds like an interesting grow you have going on!

I've got one auto that just doesn't wanna go. I may cull it and throw a photo bean in her place and veg it while I finish out the autos. Then when they are done I can flip the photo girl.

Sorry to hear about that one auto you may lose, but glad to see you got your temps somewhat sorted. I grow in an un-insulated garage and I know first hand what cold weather does to these plants. How's the humidity?

Sorry to hear about that one auto you may lose, but glad to see you got your temps somewhat sorted. I grow in an un-insulated garage and I know first hand what cold weather does to these plants. How's the humidity?

I'll have to get an idea of that when I get home today. I work nights, got home yesterday and gave them a big feeding and went to bed. When I checked on them before headed to work this evening, after all the mornings feeding had filtered down through the Coco, it had overfilled the saucer and spilled put onto the tent floor. The hygrometer was sitting in a puddle so I'm sure it wasn't reading accurate. I did a quick clean up and sprinted out the door.

Well...not really true...but you do you.

Clones are by far the fastest since you can grow as fast as you want.

If you clone correctly you can bloom them immediately out of the hood. If you have a lot of hoods you can start blooming new plants daily.

It is a matter of scale but a perpetual cloning operation is blooming as fast as you want period.

You can't grow faster than blooming right away.

All that said...my wife wants to try her hand at growing this next round. I told her if she wants to try indoor she can have a cornner in the tent. She selected to try an auto as her first cannabis plant ever to grow. We shall see how well she does.

All that said...my wife wants to try her hand at growing this next round. I told her if she wants to try indoor she can have a cornner in the tent. She selected to try an auto as her first cannabis plant ever to grow. We shall see how well she does.
I did the same for a buddy of mine, told him how to get started and had him select an auto. Hey VI, you mentioned how much faster clones are. I admit, I am not adept at taking cuts quite yet though I have done it enough with other plants to be confident. I plan to step up my skills on cloning and seed making this next year.
I have heard rumors that you can take a cut and flip it to 12/12 immediately as a fast method of checking sex. Any thoughts?
Apologies for derailing this thread

I did the same for a buddy of mine, told him how to get started and had him select an auto. Hey VI, you mentioned how much faster clones are. I admit, I am not adept at taking cuts quite yet though I have done it enough with other plants to be confident. I plan to step up my skills on cloning and seed making this next year.
I have heard rumors that you can take a cut and flip it to 12/12 immediately as a fast method of checking sex. Any thoughts?
Apologies for derailing this thread

By all means. please ask anything in this thread. all questions are good as i'm learning too. Thanks for joining in :)

@VilliageIdiot I read the thread and appreciate your educating me further in this hobby, cheers. My original question may have been worded strangely, let me rephrase it. If I take a cut today and shove it in rockwool can I put it in my flower room(with no roots) and hope for it to live long enough to show sex?

This question comes from a conversation I was having with InTheShed. We both are curious if it's possible. Keep in mind, I dont care about growing the clone out, just looking for females.

There are various ways to early sex.

I have never tried what you are asking because in theory it shouldn't work. Now it may and there may be a few tricks to make it work but I doubt it.

When it gets cut it basically stops for a bit. It takes a while for the chemistry to change internally. Then it starts making roots. When the roots are good enough to work it will do that and the plant takes off again and you can try to flower.

That takes like 2 weeks roughly. So it wont be into flower but a week sooner. Even if you put it under 12 12 ...I suspect.

It just isn't how plants work. I am sure with enough tender love and care you could.

Honestly this is one of the worst newb things to talk about. Growing takes patience.

There are ways to bring on early flowering even under 24 hours of light on regular photos. What's better sometimes doing it thw way I do causes stretch and you get that over with to durring veg.

The way I do it is by adding a special component to my EWC tea. But that is like black belt stuff. You gotta crawl before you walk and this the worst reason to learn about teas.

Go read the first few links in my sig about teas. My secrets are in there.

Yea I incidentally had a look at those links briefly last night when we started talking. I'll be sure to add em' to the army of open tabs I am amassing in my internet browser :nomo:. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, sir.

There are various ways to early sex.

I have never tried what you are asking because in theory it shouldn't work. Now it may and there may be a few tricks to make it work but I doubt it.

When it gets cut it basically stops for a bit. It takes a while for the chemistry to change internally. Then it starts making roots. When the roots are good enough to work it will do that and the plant takes off again and you can try to flower.

That takes like 2 weeks roughly. So it wont be into flower but a week sooner. Even if you put it under 12 12 ...I suspect.

It just isn't how plants work. I am sure with enough tender love and care you could.

Honestly this is one of the worst newb things to talk about. Growing takes patience.

There are ways to bring on early flowering even under 24 hours of light on regular photos. What's better sometimes doing it thw way I do causes stretch and you get that over with to durring veg.

The way I do it is by adding a special component to my EWC tea. But that is like black belt stuff. You gotta crawl before you walk and this the worst reason to learn about teas.

Go read the first few links in my sig about teas. My secrets are in there.

Question about teas. Can you use them in coco grows? I haven't looked into teas at all yet as i figure that'll be for a more advanced time in my learning curve.

Question about teas. Can you use them in coco grows? I haven't looked into teas at all yet as i figure that'll be for a more advanced time in my learning curve.

no reason you couldn't.

on the topic of autos : we always looked down on them a bit as being a watered down version genetic wise of the original strains. for example - there is an auto version of lambs breath making the rounds right now. it's not lambs breath. not even close. but that's not the auto's fault. it is it's own thing really, and should be judged as such.

i've never seen an auto version of a particular strain that i didn't like more as a reg or a fem. i grow mostly fems and know people that feel the same way about fems compared to regs. they have a point too.

there are also autos that are entirely their own thing as well. i think they should be looked at as their own thing, and judged entirely on their own merit. in many ways the marketing of a strain gets in the way.

Now that is the the smartest newb post probably in years.

Autos are not for newbs. They are much harder to grow and unless you know what you are doing get much less yield. You need years of experience and real knowledge to get the same yield from an auto. And regulars are much easier to grow for many reasons. Hence the typical higher yield.

They are fun and I am going to pop down probably 10 to 20 this year, I have around 40 still collecting dust...but they will never yield what I get from the regs I will run right next to them because I can run them how I want and stress em hard.

Autos are fun, they will stick around but they offer no advantage. You can bloom a clone at any time. They are a novelty for people who like to play around which is most of us. But if you want to just grow for mass you clone.

But growing weed is easy so go for it. Many have no problems.

I find the easier I keep it the better yield I have.
I have to disagree village, i agree on alot of what you have to say but you can get autos for beginners thats what i bought and havent had any problems but over watering once, that was my fault and i have 4 bushy autos in a 3x4 and running out of room, yes they dont like nutes as much as fem photos or reg photos, nor do you have the knowledge of when there going to flower, now autos for me indoors i think ima like them better bc i can run 18/6 get everything dialed in with temps humidity and i know that within 6 hrs i can go back in instead of having to wait 12 hrs. The temp stays the same we all know how hard it can be to get temps right and humidity and the right air movement dialed in now if i switched to 12/12 id have to change it all get dialed back in and fool with all that again.. not saying your wrong village in that ur not giving good advice just in my opinion seems easier, now i have a white widow fem photo thats gonna need to be switched to 12/12 once my autos are done in i dread getting temp n humidity and air flowed dialed in again

turning into a pretty informative thread.

Thanks for chipping in all.

Yeah I don't read most threads so maybe not the smartest. But I have never heard a noob come out and explain the issue with Autos so well.

Growing cannab is easy. Growing autos is easy. Period.

But just like hydro...there is more to know than a traditional plant. Period.

There is plenty to screw up for newbs. The easier it is the higher chance they get to a decent cure and gat all the learnings they could. Many newbs don't even get to the cure on their first grows.

Those of us who can do it..yeah let's chat about techniques.

But for noobs...the should to steered toward going the first 3 grows as easy as possible to get their feet wet. There is simply so much you need to do right to get the good stuff.

Crawl before you walk.

Autos are no place for noobs and I wont be convinced otherwise...and that is the only point I made. Reading more into it than that is your issue.

I said repeatedly go for it and this is easy. Stoners are successful all the time.

But find an early post by someone who takes the correct stand on Autos...? Not often.

But again I ussually only look at threads that get very little or no responses. I only help the helpless.

Back
Top Bottom