Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

No actually I’ve had an exceptionally good day.

Well apart from a bunch of internecine warfare seems to have been going on in my own journal!

That made me sad. Really sad.

But yeah - about lights? Its true.

Its about the third time I’ve said it in just this journal let alone all my others.

I can’t jump up and down and wave my hands in the air enough it seems to get the point across.

Photons are photons and electrons are electrons

No light company can change that.

So maybe some frustration sure?

But yes - I have taken in real life meetings with light companies. Like the billionaire’s daughter CEO of the light company flirted with me.

Anyone else here?

Didn't think so.

Dollar by watt and draw at the wall - for like every home grower its the best metric. Not some branding exercise like too many people seem to think is “better”

You look at Dr MJ Coco’s site?

Hundreds of lights tested.

And what I say twice is the best light is the safest light.
Not arguing with your experience my man. Not really arguing at all. Just saw an edge you don’t normally display. Not sure what war you’re referring to either. But I get it. Something upset you and you’re human. Ok.

WooHoo! I have been following along for a while! I ran several small LED Grows years ago, but I feel the technology has improved quite a bit since then.

I see many of you growing Worthy Buds with LED'S NOW! I am playing with the idea of getting a small tent... say 32" x 32" for personal use. I would want to put the best light for wall to wall Buds...

Which of our Sponsored lights would YOU recommend to meet this size?
For that size, imho, all factors considered, I think you’d do very well with a pair of the @ViparSpectra XS 1500 Pros. I use two in my 2x4 and I have load of power to spare - rarely do I get to 100% in that scenario. There’s a ton of info on them here. Only around $120/each for us! Very powerful light for its size, very well made, draws a true 150 watts, and plants love it. The only tiny downside is it has an incremental dimmer (vs infinite sweep) set at 25/50/75/100. But that’s easy to work around. Two cents for you.

Probably for a 2.5’x2.5’ - is that what you mean?

An @ViparSpectra 1500w Pro would great - think the 300w version even more perfect.

What you reckon Val?

Like everything in life - make your decisions based on works for you.

Growing weed?

There’s so many ways to bake the cake.

Its such a forgiving plant.

I think SIPs say are just fantastic. It gets hard where I live because the res temp.

But more temperate climates totally different.

So never gonna tell you one way or the highway!

What works for you works for you
- I’m happy for anyone. You know what you have to work with. Heat is our enemy - for others its the cold!
Different strokes, right?

Same page.
I swear I didn’t read this before I recommended the same light. But fyi - 2 singles gives you more flexibility than the setup for the 300.

WooHoo! Thank you for your response!

I think I could narrow down my search if I knew the Sweet Spot of par value?
I can help a little there. At 50% power on my last grow at about 14” from the Skywalker photo I was getting around 950 ppfd. I made it to 75% on her, and by then we are talking the top colas at about 10” from the lights and hitting almost 1200 ppfd. They have whatever you need in that space. Power for days.

I can help a little there. At 50% power on my last grow at about 14” from the Skywalker photo I was getting around 950 ppfd. I made it to 75% on her, and by then we are talking the top colas at about 10” from the lights and hitting almost 1200 ppfd. They have whatever you need in that space. Power for days.
And, that close and that hot, we’re talking zero heat damage. No foxtailing either but that was strain specific, lol. But I’ve gotten as close as 6” to them and the heat is never an issue. Btw - that Skywalker scenario was an ambient grow - no exhaust fan and still zero heat issues. They are also extremely versatile due to their size. I am currently running my pair as side lights as I guess you’ve seen.

WooHoo!

I (was) thinking I needed to go with the multi-bar lights to spread out the par, but I ❤️ the lens to evenly spread it out, and fill the space at 800 to 900 par (@ 14 ") with only 150 watts !

I found a journal using the ViparSpectra xs1500 @DV8 , doing a McFreakingAwesome job with it!

The Biggest challenge will be trying to grow 1 plant that will fit in a 2.5 x 2.5! But Watching the Quadlining threads gives me Hope!
One will not satisfy you. 150 watts in that size space is too low. IMO. I’d get a pair.

One will not satisfy you. 150 watts in that size space is too low. IMO. I’d get a pair.
It’s funny Nick but that’s pretty much my one plant minimum. I would not bother growing one plant under something smaller than an XS1500 Pro. Two plants you need two. Just how it is.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Besides, for as economical as they are and then factoring in their versatility? Not a better small light on the site.

Ha.

I’d get a room full of wholsesome ladies.

Two at a time.

I take your point on the two - but the cabling requirements, they can’t be that small?

Here’s a some pictures of the clone/breeding “tent” I’ve been building. Its got 4x 18w T6’s I think so 72W

All get some plastic walls added later today. Its a mix of 3000k and 5000k

I’ve added a tape measure for scale at 30”

1 XS1500 Pro would have to be enough that space?

I’m not planning on flowering under 72w. Its for cloning and breeding.

But 150w? One plant. Or 4 depending on the style hydro or SIP.

Gotta be enough?

And $120?!

Wow. That’s some value.

They don’t sell here but reckon they’re the market leaders at that wattage.

And yeah - can give you a name and address here and & Co can legally receive your weed and test it here.

However - you should check the legality of sending it your jurisdiction and from what I understand it may vary state by state.

But like - at airports. No one checks you on the way out.

Just make sure you finish before the plane lands.

Stood me in good stead back in the day!

IMG_0519.jpeg

Ha.

Two at a time.

I take your point on the two - but the cabling requirements, they can’t be that small?

Here’s a some pictures of the clone/breeding “tent” I’ve been building. Its got 4x 18w T6’s I think so 72W

Gotta be enough?

And $120?!

Wow. That’s some value.

And yeah - can give you a name and address here and & Co can legally receive your weed and test it here.

However - you should check the legality of sending it your jurisdiction and from what I understand it may vary state by state.

IMG_0519.jpeg
Well, as far as size, I can only tell you in a 2x4, I run them side by side and I still have six inches from each light to each side with the two lights separated a few inches. If that will be vertical, for what you’re using it for, I’d think one would suffice. But go ahead and try to grow two respectable plants under 150 watts. It’s not enough for even two of my six ouncers.

Here the Skywalker from the last grow. The lights are just outside the frame at the top, obviously. They were at 75% here. This was the best plant from the last grow. And check out how natural the plant looks under them. That temp and RH was the door open halfway by day with a couple fans and an AC unit, not for heat control but for RH. She was hard top to bottom. The lights were spectacular.

IMG_3509.jpeg

Well, as far as size, I can only tell you in a 2x4, I run them side by side and I still have six inches from each light to each side with the two lights separated a few inches. If that will be vertical, for what you’re using it for, I’d think one would suffice. But go ahead and try to grow two respectable plants under 150 watts. It’s not enough for even two of my six ouncers.

Here the Skywalker from the last grow. The lights are just outside the frame at the top, obviously. They were at 75% here. This was the best plant from the last grow. And check out how natural the plant looks under them. That temp and RH was the door open halfway by day with a couple fans and an AC unit, not for heat control but for RH. She was hard top to bottom. The lights were spectacular.

IMG_3509.jpeg
You can’t get this plant under less than 150 watts. I don’t think you could with 150. This was 75% of 300 watts, not sure if the math is linear but it’s a lot more than 150. More like 225. That said, in a 2x2 with one it’s the same as a 2x4 with two. So maybe…..

Ha.

Two at a time.

Gotta be enough?

And $120?!

Wow. That’s some value.

IMG_0519.jpeg
@NickHardy - FYI for you and others. The boss man very much does not appreciate us talking about sharing personal info to the end of sending anything, especially that. For obvious reasons when you think about it, lol. But unfortunately, I know this to be true cuz I almost got booted permanently in my very early days for doing exactly this thing, on DM yet! So send me an email, and now anyone here has that heads up. It was not a fun series of conversations. Just so you know.

You can’t get this plant under less than 150 watts. I don’t think you could with 150. This was 75% of 300 watts, not sure if the math is linear but it’s a lot more than 150. More like 225. That said, in a 2x2 with one it’s the same as a 2x4 with two. So maybe…..
WooHoo! If 2 in a 2x4 is good, I might just go that route. I have found a few more journals and 6 oz per light is about avg . At $99 each on Amazon in USA, It would pay for itself with 1 plant!

It's been over 3 years since I grew indoors, and I am starting to run out of stash! The last room I ran was 8 trees under 3-1000w HPS. I no longer have that space available, nor do I have the time or desire. But throwing a small tent in the back of the storage room for personal and Pleasure sounds Satisfying!

Data Collection Plants
Strawberry Banana/Blue Dream Autos
7 gallon pots
California SuperSoil/FFOF Base
+ GeoFlora Veg and RGR
+ EWC/Bokashi/Frass/Kelp/Mackerel
Day 6

I am beginning to have a lot more confidence in how this particular setup start my organic seedlings. This is now six plants I will have grown with this exact setup and exact same blend, and so far, every single plant has started just like these two. Perfectly green, solid growth rate, no deficiencies off the bat. Obviously you want a good start to any plant you’d grow, and this seems very consistent so far. I am not as organically educated as folks like @Gee64 or @Azimuth or @Keffka, so I’m not quite sure why this blend is so good but again, so far only, it seems to be solid. And simple:

- 1/3 of pot volume on bottom of Cali SS
- 2/3 on top of FFOF with additives mixed in
- Use about 1/3 of the normal Geo veg amount you’d use in the same volume of FFOF in the soil mix (only in the FFOF upper 2/3)
- Never again use the Geo, it’s just to start them and help sustain them til the roots get well down into the Cali SS, no top dressing or using Geo Bloom
- Water with Kelp and Mackerel
- Let sit for a week and keep moist and dark
- Plant sprout directly into finished pot
- Top dress with EWC throughout grow
- Alternate plain water with H2O/kelp/mackerel
- Once every two weeks add a small pinch of RGR to the kelp/mackerel water

That is painfully simple once you do it, even if it sounds confusing in that ordered list, and so far I’m 4 for 4 on four different strains. Photo and Auto. Now these two are sweet already.

Early growth data/impressions for anyone who cares.

Here’s the two girls labeled, from overhead, and for height reference from the side. Then there’s a shot to show you where my watering ring is so far, and how I build the roots outward.

IMG_5733.jpeg

IMG_5734.jpeg

IMG_5735.jpeg

IMG_5738.jpeg

IMG_5737.jpeg

WooHoo! If 2 in a 2x4 is good, I might just go that route. I have found a few more journals and 6 oz per light is about avg . At $99 each on Amazon in USA, It would pay for itself with 1 plant!

It's been over 3 years since I grew indoors, and I am starting to run out of stash! The last room I ran was 8 trees under 3-1000w HPS. I no longer have that space available, nor do I have the time or desire. But throwing a small tent in the back of the storage room for personal and Pleasure sounds Satisfying!
It’s super fun @MedScientist, I bet it grabs you hard. Especially fun are those little one plant small tents. You’re only 6” wider than a 2x2, so even if you get a pair, I’d suggest trying one first in that space. If you can, measure the ppfd levels at various heights, as it sounds like you probably already know. I think you’ll find that it’s enough with one in a 2.5x2.5. Maybe not if you grow a scrog or something, but for a one plant static grow like the Skywalker I showed, one may well be enough in that space. You’ll know from the numbers immediately but they’re for real pretty damn powerful for their diminutive size and the lensing works spectacularly well. When I would grow one in a space like that in static fashion (no scrog), I would likely make sure it grew so it had a bit of space to the walls anyway, for air flow. Meaning in essence, my Skywalker in a 2x4 as shown would have fit into a 2.5x2.5, just with less space. But bottom line in a 2.5x2.5 is, for one static plant, you’re only really using 2x2. So again, maybe one would work. I like to push push push, thus my original “you need two.” Lmao. Just saying/suggesting to try one first so you don’t burn up the universe. Lol!!!!

Btw - they also have spectacular side by side and corner coverage, or at least two in a 2x4 does. As consistent across the whole space as any light I have (of 8 total) and honestly better than most. Again, that’s with two in a 2x4 specifically.

Some extra info for you. Hope that helps.

IMG_3509.jpeg
I haven’t measured my closet lately but I guestamate it’s about 2’X3’ and I grow 2 plants with a mars TS-600 + ViparSpectra XS-1500 Pro. The combination seems to do a good job 👍. CL🍀

I haven’t measured my closet lately but I guestamate it’s about 2’X3’ and I grow 2 plants with a mars TS-600 + ViparSpectra XS-1500 Pro. The combination seems to do a good job 👍.
Interesting combo CL. And supports the idea that in a 2.5 x 2.5, one might well be plenty, yes?

It’s super fun @MedScientist, I bet it grabs you hard. Especially fun are those little one plant small tents. You’re only 6” wider than a 2x2, so even if you get a pair, I’d suggest trying one first in that space. If you can, measure the ppfd levels at various heights, as it sounds like you probably already know. I think you’ll find that it’s enough with one in a 2.5x2.5. Maybe not if you grow a scrog or something, but for a one plant static grow like the Skywalker I showed, one may well be enough in that space. You’ll know from the numbers immediately but they’re for real pretty damn powerful for their diminutive size and the lensing works spectacularly well. When I would grow one in a space like that in static fashion (no scrog), I would likely make sure it grew so it had a bit of space to the walls anyway, for air flow. Meaning in essence, my Skywalker in a 2x4 as shown would have fit into a 2.5x2.5, just with less space. But bottom line in a 2.5x2.5 is, for one static plant, you’re only really using 2x2. So again, maybe one would work. I like to push push push, thus my original “you need two.” Lmao. Just saying/suggesting to try one first so you don’t burn up the universe. Lol!!!!

Btw - they also have spectacular side by side and corner coverage, or at least two in a 2x4 does. As consistent across the whole space as any light I have (of 8 total) and honestly better than most. Again, that’s with two in a 2x4 specifically.

I’ve been begging them for the exact same light only in 8 bar format and sized for a 5x5. And an infinite sweep dimmer. That light would rock.

Random Training Information that may be helpful:

On Deflarfing
: I’ll be the first to tell you that I learned this basically from @InTheShed, who is a master. You have seen Shed’s plants. He always gets a ton of nothing but giant colas. He doesn’t harvest crap, or very very little. That’s what I wanted. And I’ve learned that one of the keys to this is the removal of unwanted branches and side growth. Cleaning the undercarriage. Etc. I call it deflarfing.

Those little shoots that are sometimes way numerous are tempting to keep a lot of times. You look at them and say hell, that’s a couple sweet buds, I’ll keep it. And then it’s real easy from there to keep way too much. I just did this exact thing on the big Gorilla Cookies. I should have had far fewer colas, and should have eliminated much of the side branching I kept. This made for a huge and highly bud-laden plant. But none of the buds are big, they’re all small. Which makes some of the lowers which might have been keepers, flarf. I removed a TON of material to hang that plant yesterday, much more than should be necessary. It’s also why she took so long to trim and hang. By contrast, the other of the Gorilla Cookies was very effectively deflarfed, and as a result she is rock hard top to bottom and as good as it gets.

All those shoots rob energy from the sweet buds. The concept of addition by subtraction is what’s in play here. Wait til you see the Trizkit, I’ll be doing her this week. I’ll show before and after. You’ll see I take tons of stuff. And you’ll see the bud factory she is before hand. She will become a better and bigger bud factory after I take a whole lot of garbage off her. The amount of energy takeaway is far far greater than you think I’ve learned. I’ve proven it to myself now over and over again, including this grow. The three gems of this grow are the silver Gorilla Cookies, the Cherry Pie, and the Skywalker. All three have an appropriate amount of colas and were deflated very well. All three have giant, well formed buds for days and hardly if any buds that won’t hit the jars.

When every bud in any plant you grow hits your jars, that plant will yield beautifully for you 99% of the time. It’s the goal of deflarfation. (Lol!!)

I’ve learned if you want the best results and yield this is as important a step as any other aspect of training. When I do the Trizkit I’ll do a pictorial on what I take from each branch. It will all follow the same concept. I believe I’ve figured out the path to Nirvana on this. I’m close. I believe the key ideas are:

- take any shoot going towards the floor
- take any real small bullshit shoot
- take the very outside shoots entirely, leaving the end of the main branch (ie, your main cola) and that biggest main stem of the branch as the outermost thing in the ring and/or branch set
- judiciously select which of the inners to keep or not with space between the buds as a primary consideration factor and number of them equally important

If that’s confusing I will clarify with the Trizkit. She’s the perfect plant for this display and the timing is perfect and what prompted this post.

Anyway, two cents on deflarfing for yield. Important part. Also very personal, like defoliating. This is just how I do it, and I’ve had real good results as I’ve gotten better and better at it. Fwiw.
Looking forward to the pictorial!

“Panda Film” is it? That stuff is a massive fire hazard I understand?
I need more info on this because I was going to build my "tent" out of panda film.

Which of our Sponsored lights would YOU recommend to meet this size?
Definitely the Vipar Spectra XS1500 Pro, two of them! I also grow with them. I manage to get three autos to harvest each grow. I hang the lights side by side with a gap of the width of the light. I'm out in the open though, not in a tent.

For that size, imho, all factors considered, I think you’d do very well with a pair of the @ViparSpectra XS 1500 Pros. I use two in my 2x4 and I have load of power to spare - rarely do I get to 100% in that scenario. There’s a ton of info on them here. Only around $120/each for us! Very powerful light for its size, very well made, draws a true 150 watts, and plants love it. The only tiny downside is it has an incremental dimmer (vs infinite sweep) set at 25/50/75/100. But that’s easy to work around. Two cents for you.
I swear I didn’t read this before I recommended the same light. But fyi - 2 singles gives you more flexibility than the setup for the 300.
It’s funny Nick but that’s pretty much my one plant minimum. I would not bother growing one plant under something smaller than an XS1500 Pro. Two plants you need two. Just how it is.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Besides, for as economical as they are and then factoring in their versatility? Not a better small light on the site.

Yes!

Couldn't agree more! Best choice.

Back
Top Bottom