Bad time in my outdoor garden - Big Thai about to die

Did you support the top? Either from above or from the side. She is full of frost. Gorgeous :love:

No. I just moved the light down a bit. I hate to hassle with strings and things and I forget to put a tomato cage or stake in the pot.

Looks like surface water as rotted the base of the plant I'd suggest sorting some drainage out. Sorry for your loss but on the bright side it's a learning curve .

Yes there is always a curve here!

Just like you said, I think it rotted. A real bummer to see such a large plant go like that. I got busy and was not checking the soil. I would just blindly water because the plant was HUGE and it was really hot for a couple weeks...

To be honest I don't think it would have finished flowering. Everything else I gad growing began to molding October and This Thai would have gone til' November.

I try to appreciate the mistakes I've made and not make the same mistake twice. There's so many things that can go wrong but when you get it right it's all worth the while. Peace ✌️ and all the best

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

My 2 cents about your poor dead plant back awhile ago. I have seen this type of response in non-weed plants that I planted outside in an area where the roots could grow for a while, good soil had been added, but then hit clay and rock, a brick wall, and heavy rain caused root rot. Before I saw this picture confirming root rot, I thought your problem looked like the roots had gotten trapped, maybe over watered. I've done this in plant pots as well, significantly overwatered by forgetting the drippers were on. In that case I could take the plant out before it rotted but in both cases, potted or in the ground, the plants looked sick and limp for a while and I wondered, as you did, what is wrong, too dry, too much feed, too little feed, and then I realized how soaking wet they were. I've lost more than one tomato plant to early drenching spring rains. Same thing was happening then. Goodluck.

SO She is dead. It wilted for a few days. Yesterday I grabbed it and kinda pulled it one direction. A healthy plant would have bent a bit, but the Thai just leaned over, like it had no roots attached. I gave a little tug and it practically came right out of the ground. I was very light and easy to pick up.

I'm not to bothered by it anymore. I knew it was doing poorly for a few weeks, and I have a few other girls, so... Live and learn.

I still don't know what happened. The root system was hard to examine, because it seemed like there was nothing there... I was watering it a goodly amount every couple days. probably 8-16 gallons at a time. I wonder if I was over-watering.. I have read about Vermiculum wilt a bit, but I can't really say whether or not that is what happened.

I definitely have less than ideal drainage, and hope to fix that by next summer.

Pics:

Hoge stem came out easy and almost no roota attached:
KIMG00681.jpg
KIMG00772.jpg

Back
Top Bottom