Bad time in my outdoor garden - Big Thai about to die

lazyfish

Long story.... She was perfectly healthy. Two weeks ago it started yellowing a bit and I know that flowering is coming and I boosted the N a bit with fish emulsion. Yellow leaves toward the bottom and the all the fan leafs started yellowing, progressively going from the bottom to the middle to the top. That was two weeks ago.

I regularly feed with 1-8-5. It rained a solid 3 days. It got steadily worse for a week. Then I dosed with an all purpose sea weed extract which has all the micro nutes...

I use KOH to pH up. Do you think the K+ could lock out other nutes?

I foliar sprayed with the sea weed extract and also Magnesium last week. I woke up today and THIS!

Maybe it was over-watered... maybe my dog pee'ed on it.. I am at my wits end!

The poor thing:

KIMG00352.jpg
KIMG00342.jpg
KIMG0033.jpg
KIMG00321.jpg

Ruins my day :(

Hope yours is better.:love::love::love::love::love:

Only getting worse... Today's pics and a few pics of the plant next to it. It has the beginning symptoms of what I saw in the one that is wilting....

WIlting:
KIMG00392.jpg
KIMG00402.jpg

The plant next to it has beginning symptoms of what I thought was a simple deficiency:
KIMG00422.jpg
KIMG00432.jpg
KIMG00371.jpg
KIMG00383.jpg

Don't know what to do....
Thanks for lookin':love::love::love::love::love:

Bummer !!! Looks like a bone dry plant but I'm sure that is not the case.I too am growing some Thai and so far so good.I haven't smoked Thai in 35 years. The plants look great but really don't smell much compared to the others..anyway my condolences LF Hope you can save her,Red

Sad view!
I have no idea what it is, you seem to have looked into it.
i have read that fusarium generally causes stem and root rot.
May be it is overwatering that began a chain reaction ? (most probable cause here)
I would not do anything at this stage. no water (unless the soil is really dry, did you try to dig or check?), no nutes, nothing. if it goes well, super, if it dies, it happens... At least it may give the other plants a chance.
Must be annoying though! keep it up!

I'd definitely wait a few days. If you had that much rain and you watered as well, just wait it out and it should come back. Looks to me like it still has good color. Keep hope alive bud.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hello,

SO She is dead. It wilted for a few days. Yesterday I grabbed it and kinda pulled it one direction. A healthy plant would have bent a bit, but the Thai just leaned over, like it had no roots attached. I gave a little tug and it practically came right out of the ground. I was very light and easy to pick up.

I'm not to bothered by it anymore. I knew it was doing poorly for a few weeks, and I have a few other girls, so... Live and learn.

I still don't know what happened. The root system was hard to examine, because it seemed like there was nothing there... I was watering it a goodly amount every couple days. probably 8-16 gallons at a time. I wonder if I was over-watering.. I have read about Vermiculum wilt a bit, but I can't really say whether or not that is what happened.

I definitely have less than ideal drainage, and hope to fix that by next summer.

Pics:

Hoge stem came out easy and almost no roota attached:
KIMG00681.jpg
KIMG00772.jpg

Mexican Haze that I built a greenhouse around. I might put a 600 watt light over it soon. I am at 45 degrees N and we wont havemuch light or heat soon.
KIMG0070.jpg
KIMG0071.jpg

A Dr Grinspoon. Pure Sativa. maybe a month to go. I think I'm going to put up a temporary plastic cover to keep in heat:
KIMG00742.jpg
KIMG00763.jpg
KIMG00754.jpg

And some OG Blueberry I harvested yesterday:
KIMG0079.jpg
KIMG00801.jpg

Like you said we live n learn..I have my plants in 15 gallon tubs and only give them a gallon a pop when I water..the plants in the dirt never need water. Up here in the Great Northwet (West) I worry about mold so I go on the light side watering.I bet you could get by with less water. The rest looks great,Red

things are more difficult in outdoor gardening. but if you have animals (dog) try to protect it from being chewed/peed on...
It kills it in no time. \Lady in the greenhouse look happy:goodjob:

Wow, that trunk rotted in the ground. A plant that size probably had an extensive root system at one point, assuming that it wasn't constantly being over-watered. It kind of looks like you used perlite to amend your soil - but how deep did you go with that? And what is the condition of the soil, otherwise? If it's too heavy - such as a solid mess of red clay - then you might still have issues even with a reasonably large (say, 3'x3'x3') hole that you dug and replaced with light, well-draining soil because, well... where is the water going to drain to? If the net result is akin to putting a houseplant in a pot full of good, light soil that has been placed inside a plastic bag, you'll have issues. Especially since cannabis seems to prefer soil that is allowed to dry out in between waterings, and which is light enough so that the roots can get plenty of oxygen.

Long story.... She was perfectly healthy. Two weeks ago it started yellowing a bit and I know that flowering is coming and I boosted the N a bit with fish emulsion. Yellow leaves toward the bottom and the all the fan leafs started yellowing, progressively going from the bottom to the middle to the top. That was two weeks ago.

I regularly feed with 1-8-5. It rained a solid 3 days. It got steadily worse for a week. Then I dosed with an all purpose sea weed extract which has all the micro nutes...

I use KOH to pH up. Do you think the K+ could lock out other nutes?

Sativas in general can be pretty sensitive to nutrients (some people grow "trees" in good organic soil and do not supplement nutrients at all during the grow, or else only a little). As with any cannabis plant - or any plant, for that matter - one can still see issues. Take a look at our nutrient deficiency/toxicity sticky.

Excess potassium is usually not absorbed by the plants, but if so it can cause difficulties with the uptake of magnesium, manganese, zinc and iron.

What was the pH of your soil before you raised it? What was it afterwards? Shifting the pH too far out of balance can cause all kinds of nutrient issues. I once added "just a pinch" of a silica product - which turned out to be way too much ;) - to one of my DWC reservoirs and failed to monitor the pH. Within 36 hours the plant looked like it hadn't been fed/watered in a month; when I checked the pH, it was extremely high (close to 10.0, IIRC).

If I had to guess, my guess would be too much water - along with too little oxygen - at the roots, which caused them to rot.

BtW, I'm surprised that you have much luck growing sativas at a location that's halfway between the equator... and the North Pole, lol. The last Thai I grew indoors flowered for around 16 weeks - and I read that, outdoors, they like to finish up in December. I see you've got greenhouses - do you also use some form of "in-ground" heat for the roots? Hot water lines, perhaps?

Dang! I wish I'd seen this early 'cuz it looked like root rot, but by the time you started the thread, it was too late to do anything anyway. Keep those gals a little to the dry side, if possible. Sorry you lost some, but it looks like you got some, too. :love:
:goodluck: with your next round!

Ye more likely over watered that one !

Then i think about soil type, might be on a clay type ? & with all the rain plus extra watering may of lead to over saturation & anaerobic conditions.

Could always look at building a raised bed tho with admendments etc add perlite or some thing to aid in drainage / aeration etc.

But as a precaution i'd have a little dig around that spot where she failed & look for grubs/larvae etc as some of those critters eat roots... to be on the safe side it is worth a double check :thumb:

Indoor thai doesn't know up our down...
This girl was outside when the big thai died... I brought her inside because it started getting cold...

420-magazine-mobile614832482.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1264343337.jpg

Parts of it look ready but others don't...
420-magazine-mobile1105057265.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1780654408.jpg

The top feel over.

420-magazine-mobile91048858.jpg

. . . . .

Looks like surface water as rotted the base of the plant I'd suggest sorting some drainage out. Sorry for your loss but on the bright side it's a learning curve .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom