BeanDS's Green Crack Crop King Seeds - Grow Journal 2016 - CFL - DWC

Beands

And here it is, My first journal.

I'm no expert, have no botany or journalism experience, not a carpenter, electrician, nor a plumber.
But I want smoke, quality flowers, money in my pocket and less hassle dealing with the black market gang bangers, thugs and your other stereotypical street pharmacists.

That being said, I'm going to try my hand at the gardening game. I've played around a few times before, and at the moment, I have 3 bags seed ladies; 2 that should be ready to come down in about 2 weeks (affectionately named the "2 Red-Headed foster children"), and another one to come down the first week of May (named "Zen Butchery").
If the name's don't give it away, the 2 red-headed foster children have had a long hard life. (Think orphan Annie). They didn't know if they were loved or even wanted most of the time. Went through virtually every possible problem from root rot to male flowers to you name it. These 2 girls taught me a LOT with all the trouble they caused. But, they boosted my confidence, so I germinated "Zen Butchery", the bonsai-LST-HST slice and dice.....my rented mule. This one I'm purposely abusing. Trying everything at once. High stress training, extreme defoliation, rough handling, basically just not being nice at all. Gave it 7 days as a seedling, 28 days veg and 10 wks flower...."run forest, run". Really getting my "moneys worth" outta her. And I'm shocked to say, she's loving it so far. With the poor genetics, and the amount of stress, I fully expect her to hermie any day now. So, it's time to get serious. No more bag seeds, no more unknowns and issues.
The Two "red-headed foster children" have yet to teach me a thing or two about harvesting as that will be my first "real" harvest. And I''ll hone that on the "Zen Butchery" before I have to harvest the plant this journal is actually about.

Gonna try to be as informative and precise as possible, but I'm here to have fun, not be so dull.
Let's do this.

11am March 9th, 2016
-Started germinating 1 Green Crack seed from Crop King Seeds, as per their germination instructions, seed in cup of non-PH'd tap water. 14hrs soak. 72 F

1am March 10th
-Fold in paper towel, put in dark warm room (not cabinet) 74 F
6pm
-First sign of splitting open

image36511.jpg

9pm March 11th
-Approx. 1/2 inch taproot, put in pH'd rockwool cube
*Washed germination plate, placed rockwool with 1 tsp water on plate under humidity dome in dark room. 74 F

12pm March 12th
-Successful root growth pushing shell up through rockwool.
9pm
-Shell stuck at top of hole, cotyledon pushed past and pointed downwards over shell.
-Now added (2)-16 inch Florescent tube lights on 24hrs, 78 F

12am March 13th
-Cotyledon now point up toward light, showing some green. 80 F

24817.JPG

12pm March 13th
And She is born! Thanx Crop King Seeds!
-Seedling stretched approx. 1 inch
-Removed humidity dome

25016.JPG

3pm March 13th
-Inner lining of shell came off cotyledon, showing first leaves
-Rockwool cube 76 F

25192.JPG

2am March 14th
-Start 8hrs dark with lights on timer, 76 F

6pm March 16th
-Start Veg Cycle
-Moved rockwool cube into 6inch net pot lid (with hydroton clay balls) for 5 gallon pail Deep Water Culture set-up.
-Ph'd water to 5.5, added nutrients following manufactures guidelines for feeding seedlings in 4L of water. (I'm currently using Holland Secret 3 part system)
-There is approx. 15L of water in the 5 gal pail, 1/2inch of the net pot submerged. I'll measure more accurately on the next water change.

0052307.JPG

I slapped together a frame 22"x33"x40" with some scrap lumber I had laying around. Walls are made of foam craft panels 20"x30", Basically built the frame around the foam so they pressure fit tight inside the frame, no tapes glues screws or etc.
Mounted my LED panel on the ceiling, (its more or less useless.... sunshine systems 45w, claimed to be equivalent to 250w HPS) I think of it as a supplement only, not factoring it as part of the light I'm giving the plant.
I'm primarily using CFL's, right now 1-23w (1600lumen) adding another in a week or so, and more as she gets bigger. I fashioned a chimney stack out of an old yoga mat and put a 4" usb fan sucking the heat out and passively bringing cold air around the skirt. Nothing fancy, but it fits in the closet nice.
Soon adding a fan to move more air inside the box in a few weeks.
For areation I'm using a water pump with venturi attachment I just picked up, kinda neat. Once roots become able to get sucked in I might replace it with an air stone, or put foam infront of the intake and add an air stone anyway, just too see the if the extra O2 in the water helps at all. Aiming to keep RH around 40-50%.
And here she is all happy in her home for the next few weeks.

0042440.JPG

Hope I'm posting this properly, been trying to learn how to and where to save pics and all the fun stuff. Spoiled by the ease of use with facebook. Thanx for the patience in the meantime.
I'll try to answer any questions ya might have, just ask.

So in the spirit of keeping things fun, I'm going to call this lady "Jade Hollow". It seems some folks aren't too keen on the whole "crack" thing and all the negativity associated with the word. In the world of illegal substances, it's not really helping our plant get legalized.
My take? Why does one word only get one definition? Why is it implied negativity?

As Frank Underwood so eloquently put it; "If you don't like how the the table is set, turn over the table."

Well then......
In the words of Leonard Cohen; "There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. "

And my work here is done... Enjoy!

Hey there beans! Im doing dwc as well , it will be my first time but i have done alot of reading, so if you have questions ask me and ill try to answer/research it for you. Ill be starting a journal soon , im sub into your, maybe we can side by side study out grows, i started my seeds march 12 and they sprouted 4 days later, so its been three days and the first pair of leaves have show. I eont think i can message so ill try to talk to you in here! Keep them little ones water and humid! Have a great day!

Hey there beans! Im doing dwc as well , it will be my first time but i have done alot of reading, so if you have questions ask me and ill try to answer/research it for you. Ill be starting a journal soon , im sub into your, maybe we can side by side study out grows, i started my seeds march 12 and they sprouted 4 days later, so its been three days and the first pair of leaves have show. I eont think i can message so ill try to talk to you in here! Keep them little ones water and humid! Have a great day!

Absolutely! when I see it, I'll sub yours as well, hopefully we can swap a trick or two down the road!

Well i think you can give me your thoughts, i been thinking of waiting for my little plants because i only have one leaf set (just looked second set is coming it really small haha). Im thinking of starting nutes on second week or when i see 2 or 3 nodes, which one do you think i should do? Hope every thing is good! May the garden stay green.

Well i think you can give me your thoughts, i been thinking of waiting for my little plants because i only have one leaf set (just looked second set is coming it really small haha). Im thinking of starting nutes on second week or when i see 2 or 3 nodes, which one do you think i should do? Hope every thing is good! May the garden stay green.

I would suggest gettin that girl some food pretty soon, Scrappy! Once out of the shell, they have enough of what they need for a little while. My method, while its GERMINATING it has enough and needs nothing. Once in rockwool, and she starts to reach for light (and get some) with green showing she will need food to process that light. Normally most would suggest 1/4 strength or weak nutes at this point. (March 16th is where I started mine with weak nutes.)
Today, I'm upping her status to "full veg mode" and stronger nutes, as you can see here:

9am March 19th
-Second set of leaves.
-Added a second 23w CFL cool white 73 F

image36551.jpg

12pm
-Reservoir water temp got too high on me, 76F, water was cloudy and kinda smelled stale or stagnant.
Put net pot aside with seedling and scrubbed the pail and water pump and everything in the water with dish soap, again with bleach water, and ran the system (no plant) twice with fresh water for 30 minutes.
**TAKE APART THE PUMPs AND DO EACH PIECE INDIVIDUALLY**
I found a large collection of white scum inside the pump on the mesh.
2pm
-Back in her home. Ph'd water to 5.5, and added Veg nutes as per 10L water directions (Secret Holland 3 part) and plant seems to be not bothered by this, yet.(Better measurement: 13L of water in res)
4:30pm
All is well, no smell, no cloud.

Great detail man! I appreciate it alot! Okay well i have my in jiffy cup and i know i dont want soil to get into the resr so im waiting for roots to show out the bottom(should i just put it in?). I hope your still on haha, everything is look good in your setup and im trying to put up more lights as well. I didnt look right on my packaging of bulbs and i have 16w bulbs but the girls seem good i have two bulbs in reptile lamps with a cone reflectors. I think its good for now im adding another bulb tonight, im working on a budget ,but will get more bulbs soon.

Great detail man! I appreciate it alot! Okay well i have my in jiffy cup and i know i dont want soil to get into the resr so im waiting for roots to show out the bottom(should i just put it in?). I hope your still on haha, everything is look good in your setup and im trying to put up more lights as well. I didnt look right on my packaging of bulbs and i have 16w bulbs but the girls seem good i have two bulbs in reptile lamps with a cone reflectors. I think its good for now im adding another bulb tonight, im working on a budget ,but will get more bulbs soon.

I recently saved 2 potted plants that were not intended to be DWC, now sharing a bucket. Both started in jiffy pellets, then potted in straight coco-coir. Fought all kinds of issues and finally as a last ditch effort, I converted them to DWC with a top feed. One air pump with an air stone, one water pump split with a T between the 2 plants. They are STILL living, not the greatest lookin things but I did it. Anyways, the point of this story, every week with the water change I notice some brown flakes and dirt, they don't clog up the little water pump, I havn't had any rotting or anything from it, seems to be ok after 3 months of it. Those 2 girls come down at the end of the month, scraggly airy buds but she taught me well. The dirt in the bottom of the bucket settles in the dead spots so I move the air stone and eliminate them. Clogs the water pump a bit more fine tuning but I just clean it out every week and good to go. Flow slows a bit by the end of the week and that's about it.

Are you going to be doing DWC also? Once you got a journal going I can try to help better based on your pics.

Hope that helps for now!

Im on my phone and i cant find a way to upload pics but ima keep trying , and well if you didnt have a bad experience ill try it. I dont have a water pumps so i cant drip, if anything ill pour water over top of clay pebbles and spray foliage. Do you have any pics of those girls? Yes im doing 5 gal buckets system , i have two buckets. Im going to get that journal going !

Im on my phone and i cant find a way to upload pics but ima keep trying , and well if you didnt have a bad experience ill try it. I dont have a water pumps so i cant drip, if anything ill pour water over top of clay pebbles and spray foliage. Do you have any pics of those girls? Yes im doing 5 gal buckets system , i have two buckets. Im going to get that journal going !

I'm starting to think a top feed would speed things up a bit, just for the start. But with rockwool, I think it should hold enough water and air, so a couple squirts on top per day till the roots hit the water and she should do it herself after that.
Hand feed.
The girls I'm experimenting with... I'm too ashamed to share pictures, did things I shouldn't have done. Hurt yield big time. 2' tall and I think I'm only going to get about an ounce combined between the "2 red headed foster children"

il be watching id like to try this , gl

I'll take a seat for this one. I like your setup, looks great. Good luck and...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Thanx! :thanks:

Nice...three of us at the same time in dwc. Its very rewarding but very finiky at the same time. If any issues crop up res change first and foremost. Any issues i can throw my 2 cents in...find me in my signature ;)

Thanx, will be watching yours too!

Little update:

11am March 21
-Shut off the LED, its only warming to the space too much. Only running with 2 - 23w CFL's now
-Been top feeding twice a day. When checking res temps I lightly squirt a little around the base of the plant to get it in the rockwool, and to keep the hydroton wet for higher humidity.
Res @67 F, trying to keep box temp and RH at what is seen in the pic.

image36568.jpg

Nice set up. Lift your lid and check that you dont have light making its way through the hydroton and into your rez. I just happened to notice it when i was doing a root check so i put a cover over my net pot until the canopy gets a little more full. Glad i caught it. I dont feel like cleaning algae out of my rez. Just a heads up. My pots are smaller than yours so it may not be an issue for you.

Nice set up. Lift your lid and check that you dont have light making its way through the hydroton and into your rez. I just happened to notice it when i was doing a root check so i put a cover over my net pot until the canopy gets a little more full. Glad i caught it. I dont feel like cleaning algae out of my rez. Just a heads up. My pots are smaller than yours so it may not be an issue for you.

Thanx! and Wicked tip! I just put an air stone in, hoping the extra O2 will clear it up. I don't see any light coming through the net but I will give that a try tomorrow if I see no change overnight. I read somewhere here that PH down will cause this issue also, and cloudy isn't a bad thing until smells bad too.

More times than not, the cloudy water, (grayish water ) is a reaction of the pH Down and not a big danger.
What is bad is STINKY water.

I'll report back tomorrow!

Turn of all the lights in your room except your grow lights and just pop the lid up. Easy enough to see. I didnt know about the ph down clouding water. Nice to know.

10am March 22nd
-Employed Lazarus13's tip BEFORE bed last night anyways, covered the hole...there was some light leaking in. Thanx again, man!:thanks:
-Still cloudy/greyish looking water. No foam no smell, nothing unpleasant other than the color is not sitting well with me.
*Another res change and scrubbing all pumps/pieces everything sterile. hot water soap, wash again with bleach, soak in hot water, let run with pure water for 30 mins twice.*
While I'm at it, I put the res bucket inside a tote and matched the water level. This way I can stay on top of res temps a little better, and not put ice bottle IN the reservoir where roots will soon show up.

10am March 23rd
-NO GREY CLOUDY WATER WOOHOO!

image36582.jpg

Putting the res bucket in a tote of water has been incredible. The temp holds longer (66 F), a lot less screwing around IN the reservoir now. I can zap the tote temp and know the res will be the exact same!!
No need for ice bottles in 24 hrs so far, I suspect I may need one over night though, OR I could remove a pitcher of water, and replace it with colder stuff when I get up tomorrow. Humidity is much easier too!! RH too high to flower in like this so I will need to devise a way to minimize the humidity soon.

While I scrubbed the reservoir and the parts, I put the net pot lid with the little lady on an empty container, and every 30 mins or so I poured fresh clean water over the hydroton and rockwool.... giving it a good flush to rid any contaminated water before I put it all back together.
When I did re-assemble, I let the clean system run for 30 mins. No clouding. Put the girl back on her bucket and still after an hour no cloud. Then, corrected pH to 5.7 and run for 30 mins. still good, added nutes again and still no change after 30 mins.
Probably not enough time to test each variable, but overnight the water is still crystal clear. I think I got it. Don't know where I did but I think I got it.

sometimes pH Down and chemicals like clorine, bleach, peroxide inter-act and the water clouds. ...looks like old dishwater.
It is not that bad or dangerous to have cloudy water, we just don;'t want it or like it.

I think this holds true here for me, grey cloudy water scary, maybe not bad, but scary.

Glad you caught the leak, bro.
Sitting the rez in a tub works really well. I couldnt figure out how to get my water temps down and 2 $2 wash tubs from a dollar store solved my problems. I put a 20 oz frozen bottle in each corner and cover the whole thing with a blanket and my rez stays right where i want it.

Back
Top Bottom