BeanDS's Green Crack Crop King Seeds - Grow Journal 2016 - CFL - DWC

Noon March 28
-Clouded once again last night. Res change today. Otherwise, slow as she goes. 3 roots poking through the net pot... nice and white and touching the water an inch below the net. Newest set of leaves seem lopsided, one half is stunted.Good side points straight up (in photo) and stunted points down.

image36630.jpg

For the life of me I cannot figure this out!
In my other box, where my other 3 beasts are currently flowering flawlessly, the "2 red heads" SHARE a single reservoir. The "zen butcher" is in its very own. Each res has an airstone and "zen" has a small water pump to circulate where the 2 redheads are top-fed with one. I use tap water to fill 5Gal culligan bottle and a 10L square jug, and let them sit for at least 24 hrs (if not more) to de-chlorinate, and all 3 reservoirs are filled from those jugs.
Is it possibly the 5gal bucket I got from crappy tire, not food safe or something?
possibly the special net pot lid?
Is it the rockwool? the other beasts were started in jiffy's, 2 red heads into coco coir and converted a month later to DWC with a top feed, Zen went right to DWC with no top feed.
I've blocked the light creeping in through hydroton, pH water to 5.5-6ish with paper strips, after 10 minutes add micro nutes, then grow, then bloom (Holland secret).
It cannot be a sterile issue as all 3 use the same tools and water supply. Each res has the same air stone (from a 3 pack), each res has a water pump, differently utilized but each got one.
I've been leaning to blame the rockwool, BUT, I made a stellar little purchase over the weekend. I brita filter water for coffee in the morning because of a metallic aftertaste. Seems to help a bit. Maybe its the cheap coffee pot? Meh
Well I needed a new filter, and a 5 pk was $25 at wally world. I've been reading on here how Brita is virtually useless, kinda felt dumb about buying another 5 pk. I notice out of the corner of my eye, there's a filter and they're advertising a TDS meter readout of 006 requires a new filter. Well wtf, tell me more! Scour the shelves until I finally found the pitcher needing this filter. $40 comes with a TDS meter and one filter. Made by "Zerowater". (I am not paid by anyone, sponsored or anything of the sort, I buy everything I got with hard earned cash.)
Well, FIRST thing when I got home, washed it out and started to fill it. While it filtered a little, I ran around the house and did some tests.
Right from the tap: 221PPM (HOLY EFF BATMAN, SERIOUSLY?!?!)
Mavea filter on Bosch version of a Keurig : 168PPM
Brita jug : 241PPM (ITS ADDING CRAP!!)
Well then, lets see this Zerowater results.... 000PPM

k, cheap little meter, shut off, a little shake, dried off...again...000PPM
wtf?!?! there is NO way this TDS meter knows what water comes from where!!
THIS IS VOODOO OR SOME SH*T!
I was laughing at the water now. Test the tap, solid 221PPM

SO, I'm going to use half tap and half out of this filter (roughly). Start with water at around 90PPM so I dont have to re-add calcium and whatnot to bring it back.
This would explain the salt buildup on top the coco on the "2 redheads". This would explain all the issues I suffered with the "red heads", and then unknowingly adapted to be wildly successful with the "zen butcher".
And now with a cheap little TDS meter, full control.

I've so far put 30 L through the filter and it's reading 003PPM already. Again, it advertises to replace when it reads 006PPM. Even if it's filtering my tap down to 100PPM in a few months.... I just won't mix in any regular tap water in at that point.

PS
My coffee this morning was some of THE best brewed stuff I've made or drank in years. FRIGGIN YUM, can't wait to chuff on some flowers that have grown in it!

830am April 1st

And now the REAL fun begins! 2 days ago she touched down the first root to the nutrients, today...:
image36669.jpg

Not sure why the long root is turning brown, but its growing ....and REALLY fast! Today the root is down to the bottom of the 5gal res, 20inches longer in a few days?!
Res has been clear, 68 F reservoir, 72F grow box, around 50%RH
Since my Last post, it seems to me as if the FAST explosive growth I've been warned of is just ramping up now.

image36670.jpg

Stay tuned!!
I think it's 'bout to get real exciting around here......REAL fast!

Now shes going..the green crack is a fast grower....of the 4 strains i got going its far the winner so far..looks nice and green ..shes gonna be big watch..:thumb:
830am April 1st

And now the REAL fun begins! 2 days ago she touched down the first root to the nutrients, today...:
image36669.jpg

Not sure why the long root is turning brown, but its growing ....and REALLY fast! Today the root is down to the bottom of the 5gal res, 20inches longer in a few days?!
Res has been clear, 68 F reservoir, 72F grow box, around 50%RH
Since my Last post, it seems to me as if the FAST explosive growth I've been warned of is just ramping up now.

image36670.jpg

Stay tuned!!
I think it's 'bout to get real exciting around here......REAL fast!

Thanx for the support!!

I'm playing with my trail camera, trying to get it to time lapse a shot every 8hrs.
Doesn't like the bright lights, or the cramped up close shots. It'll be a challenge while she's little, once she gets some girth maybe.
The best I can do at this point is basically just showing a box with wasted space and a teeney little green thing in there.
If I can get an angle in there, it should make for a nice photo stitching post at the end of the journal!

The success I'm having with my hermie bag seed learning experiments is absolutely BLOWING my mind, thanx to this site and community!
I expected LESSER quality than what street pharmacists can offer up, but got some of the best smoke I've had in a long time?
That's just not right!
I cant wait for this little beaut to finish up, some real taste, real quality, good genetics..."Sunny ways, my friends!"

Thanx for the support!!

I'm playing with my trail camera, trying to get it to time lapse a shot every 8hrs.
Doesn't like the bright lights, or the cramped up close shots. It'll be a challenge while she's little, once she gets some girth maybe.
The best I can do at this point is basically just showing a box with wasted space and a teeney little green thing in there.
If I can get an angle in there, it should make for a nice photo stitching post at the end of the journal!

Keep me posted on how it works, I've thought about putting my trailcam in there for that purpose, but I figured it wouldn't work. Let me know so I can follow suit with some time lapse pics.

Hope it works... KiG :green_heart:cheers

Keep me posted on how it works, I've thought about putting my trailcam in there for that purpose, but I figured it wouldn't work. Let me know so I can follow suit with some time lapse pics.

Hope it works... KiG :green_heart:cheers

I think I can do it, somewhat "well versed" in the things... what type/model are you playing with?
I'm running a Cabela's 8MP HD

9am April 4th
-RES @ 67 F
-Box @ 72 F
How does one properly age/date this girl?
IF she first split open on March 10th, Would that make her 25 days old from seed today?
Just in the last few days the roots are noticeably longer/thicker, and the canopy is starting to gain momentum (just like you said Old School!):thumb:
Since putting in the zerowater, I have had no more issues in the res. Nice and crystal clear, pH has no swing it's steady at 5.8ish (paper strips). Sitting at 782PPM (I'm still getting a handle on this PPM metering and what that's all about, but think I've pretty well got it.)

043134.JPG

She's got her 4th nodes now, I've never topped/fimmed/etc anything I've done before. Torn on whether or not I should try something.
Hell, I don't really want to LST or anything to her, I'd like to see her Au naturel in all her glory.
I'll be taking a few clones off her down the road, gonna try a little perp.....(oh I just FEEL a divorce wafting in the air if I dare utter that "P" word HAHA):angel:
Let's just say "when this seed is ready, I want some clones for the 'next plant" :wood:

Grind up the rules and spin up some justification, chances are you're gonna cough a little bit, am I right? ;)

I would top it once..i did my gc. And have 12 tops from one topping..go for it..youll get alot more buds. Trust me.youll be happy you did..shes ready now for topping..ill post some pics of mine so you can see what youll get if u top her

20160404_124751.jpg
20160404_124701.jpg
Hey bean. Heres my green crack. .as you can see how big shes got..look at all the potential colas from one topping..12...when she gets topped. All her energy will be moved to the lower part of the plant and stop that up growth and focus on making new tops..and if big fan leaves block the light penatration in the center cut them off..dont worry she will grow more leaves than shell ever need.
The Gc is the plant in the middle..up to you..good luck..

LOOKING GOOD :thumb:
I'm running the same strain but in soil-less (pro mix bx) want to do dwc next run so im SUBSCRIBED.. lets see how your babies do.
also around the same time frame so wouldn't mind seeing the difference between the two grows

as for topping i did what they call "micro topping" at the 5th node and the others at the 7th node.. just curious about the difference
12968570_10154322092588322_770158617_n.jpg

the ones i topped at the 5th node grew the two new main steams in about 4-6 days was very happy i did it.

here is a video to get a good idea:(fast forward to 12:37) not my personal vid BTW
How to Grow Part 3, Early Veg. - YouTube

hope that helped.

ok, you guys twisted my rubber arm.

I copied the "micro topping" idea from that video. (thanx for sharing that)
Got my fingers in her, discovered I've also got a tri-leaf goin on!

044126.JPG

I used a pair of tweezers, she's very tight in the the top.... Couldn't pull it off so nice like you there, old school. It smooshed in the pinch, so I kinda pushed at the base and the rest of the top popped off. Neat little cup in the tri-crotch. LOL
I don't know how well it can be seen in the pic, very busy little intersection.

045122.JPG

So a few more tops I understand, but you got 12 from only one topping?
Is that to be expected with this strain, or were you just blessed by the fairy puff mother?? Green thumb endowment?
We have some learning from YOU to do here!
Thanx for sharing your knowledge, Old school!:thanks:

(*paging Dr Greenthumb*)
Sure glad I found this community!

I'm stoked NOW!!
In a couple months my head's gonna explode!!

Without detracting from my own thread, my hermie BS experiments are turning out to be some of the best stuff I've had in a long time.
(NOT TALKING ABOUT GREEN CRACK BY CKS IN THIS POST)
ANY bag that had a couple seeds in it was never all that hot. 2 of those girls come down in a week or so, and I've only been sampling here and there off them. Hang dry for a day or 2, then speed dry on a heating pad. Taste isnt' quiet right but leave a pretty good idea what it will be, need better dry and cure but otherwise the high is a smack in the face. A good friggin wake up call.

With clear trich's, I have experienced the "racy" feeling now. Right now they're 80% cloudy 20%clear, not really seeing anything amber at all yet. The sample I had last night, again, laid a hell of a lickin on me. Woke up foggy this morning.
Well, if about 2 dry grams gives me roughly 10 seeds (yea she's LOADED with em!! The seed came from a bag 10 yrs ago, I pulled close to 50 seeds from that half ounce)
I understand now how yields suffer, QUALITY DOES NOT!!!
My whole line of thinking on "bag appeal" just went out the window.
HOW the hell does over seeded, 10yr old crapshoot genetics, provide SO well?
HOW the hell does one pay these prices for "stellar" product that cant' touch HALF the potency of this JUNK?
Junk that I blew my mind growing, junk I am now twisting and contorting on the last addition to the grow box, only to have her OUTPERFORM the 2 that come down next week.

As I was saying, I'm stoked NOW, nevermind in a few months!!
Good genes, EXCELLENT advice and support, possibly TWELVE tops if I mind my sh*t right....
My head is gonna explode!!

:thanks:AGAIN, THANK YOU GUYS!!:Namaste:

I've gained a whole new side of the plant by growing it, by coming on here to read and talk to some awesome folks who will share their knowledge. Given me a whole new appreciation for something I am EXTREMELY passionate about. I was once dubbed "the connoisseur" by one of my "friends", I could judge their product and tell them the flaws with ZERO growing experience. But it fell on deaf ears, they were pushers not growers. (PS..I believe I've zeroed in on the strain, I'm very certain they're lemon skunks)

I now understand:

"the guy who coined the phrase:

'The best things in life are free'

........OBVIOUSLY grew his own."

10:30am April 6th
28 days ago was closed seed
-Res change day. 13L fresh 000ppm, no ph adjustment required @ 5.6ish. Follow nute directions chart for VEG stage @10L water.
Bottle lists PPM should be at 820, I get 423ppm. Doesn't seem that it should be half, I`ll go with it, maybe in a week add half, or maybe 1/4 the dose that went in here depending on the PPM readout.
Otherwise, res holding 65-69 F, Inside box @ 74 F, top of plant 71F
I am keeping her under 2 CFL`s at this point, about 2" above her. Starting to see some new growth where she was topped. Only managed to snap one shot, I`ll see if I can spend more time with her today and get a close up of the topping put up.
0032634.JPG

A day behind on getting a report on here.
Head exploded yesterday and I had some investigating that consumed me.
Bud washing.
Treat your herbage like cabbage and wash the debris/dirt/dander/skin/hair/bugs whatever might be settled on the plant. Don`t smoke it or cook with that filth. Wash it first.
Investigating proves those who do, do not go back.
@Doc Bud is notoriously famous in any video or shred of info on the topic, the guy flat out states how he wont touch un-washed buds anymore.
People are giving away un-washed buds once adopting this technique because it`s tastes like "wet hay".
I`ll credit him to my converting.
PLEASE read, watch, search, learn about this step of harvest.
I have decided I will adopt this washing buds off wholeheartedly so I can achieve better smoke.
You wouldn't buy unwashed veggies at the store. Would you buy meds at a dispensary UNWASHED?
How about out of your garden, nothing washed?
Your smoke should be treated differently?
Not this guy, but here's where to start...

BUD WASHING

Enjoy!

11:30am April 9th

-She's really startin to grow now!
Res 68 F
Box 72 F, RH just over 50%
31 days from seed

Still under 2 - 23w (100w equivalent) daylight CFL's, thinkin I'll add another bulb maybe tomorrow.

0022746.JPG

12:30am April 12th

-Took 5 BIG ol' fan leaves, opened up the canopy let the light pour in!
Did so right before her bedtime so she can heal overnight for 8hrs.
Took top 2 fans at top node, and the tri-leaf larger fans at the next node down.
Got an odd side shoot thing off one of the tri-node branches. I'll try to get a pic of that up tomorrow and how the topping's coming along for ya's when my eyes are maybe a little less squinty. :tokin:
0022749.JPG
0012843.JPG

Back
Top Bottom